ImageImageImageImageImage

All Things Vladdy: Debuting Friday the 26th

Moderator: JaysRule15

BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Re: All Things Vlady: Debuting Friday the 26th 

Post#201 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:49 am

Schad wrote:91 home runs in an evening is a bit mad.

Hes not bad.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#202 » by Natural11 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:15 am

If I attempted to swing a bat 91 times I'd need to take a week off work to recover. I can't wait to see what he can do once he gets into a groove and starts figuring out major league pitching.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,532

Post#203 » by VanWest82 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:16 pm

The main thing is it looked like he had a lot of fun which was encouraging to see. I'm sure he knows his big league debut has been a little underwhelming so anything that reminds him of the joy aspect of playing and performing will only help with his development.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#204 » by Double Helix » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:39 pm

DonYon wrote:Welp, no doubt he can crush batting practice. Looks like he might be the best of all time in this regard.

Imagine if the most significant aspect of his insane hype was somehow scouts just watching him in batting practice crushing bombs like that alongside his AAA batting average and assuming it would all come together? It would be like seeing Andrew Wiggins in a dunk contest, thinking about his lineage, and then watching him destroy as a freshman at Kansas and assuming greatness was destined.

I hope this isn’t like that. Like at all. And I don’t think it will be.

He definitely showed right where he likes it but he also caught a few like his old man that were a little out and down and once he starts making that kind of bat speed on MLB pitching the real home runs should follow.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,038

Post#205 » by Schad » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:10 pm

Double Helix wrote:
DonYon wrote:Welp, no doubt he can crush batting practice. Looks like he might be the best of all time in this regard.

Imagine if the most significant aspect of his insane hype was somehow scouts just watching him in batting practice crushing bombs like that alongside his AAA batting average and assuming it would all come together? It would be like seeing Andrew Wiggins in a dunk contest, thinking about his lineage, and then watching him destroy as a freshman at Kansas and assuming greatness was destined.

I hope this isn’t like that. Like at all. And I don’t think it will be.

Yeah, no. Vlad's actual game performance is the bit that got him hyped up. It's doubtful that there was another prospect in the minors who had more eyes on him, and he hit .331/.414/.531 in his MiLB tenure, as a teenager.

People need to stop panicking that a 20 year old is merely a league-average hitter through half a season.
**** your asterisk.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,719

Post#206 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:07 pm

I never panicked to begin with so HA! :P! :)! :D! ;) Lolz
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 927

Post#207 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Double Helix wrote:

I mean I think it was more his absurd minor league numbers, elite bat speed, and age relative to level. That was 100% the reason for the hype and not batting practice bombs.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#208 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 pm

raptorforlife88 wrote:
I mean I think it was more his absurd minor league numbers, elite bat speed, and age relative to level. That was 100% the reason for the hype and not batting practice bombs.

It was batting practice bombs for us when he was 14-15. Seeing someone that age handle a senior field like it's a t-ball one was all we had to get excited about at one point.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#209 » by torontoaces04 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:17 pm

What letter grade would you give Vlad Jr. in his time in the Majors so far?

I'm undecided between a C and C+. Hoping he catches fire in the second half, and that as silly as it seems, the Homerun Derby can somehow act as a catalyst for him.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,433

Post#210 » by Cyrus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:46 am

Over or under that Vlad hits 20 Hr for the rest of the season.

Same for Avg, over or under .250?
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#211 » by Skin Blues » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Cyrus wrote:Over or under that Vlad hits 20 Hr for the rest of the season.

Same for Avg, over or under .250?

.250 is almost a guarantee. A guy who strikes out 18% of the time and crushes the ball will hit better than that. Took quite a bit of bad luck and below-expected performance for him to just barely miss that in the first half.

20 HR is a much different story. I'd take the under, for sure. It'll be hard to get to that number, which is almost a 50 HR pace at this point.

As likely he is to hit above .250, is about how likely it is he hits fewer than 20 HR from here on out.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Schad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:09 am

I interpreted it as 20 for the year, and even that's a close-run thing.

Vlad'll be fine. Overswinging, which isn't really necessary given his natural power, but even still his components are all fine...he's just getting out in front a bit too much.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#213 » by So_Fresh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 am

Schad wrote:I interpreted it as 20 for the year, and even that's a close-run thing.

Vlad'll be fine. Overswinging, which isn't really necessary given his natural power, but even still his components are all fine...he's just getting out in front a bit too much.
Do you think it has more to do with him or maybe the hitting coach (Guillermo Martinez) not teaching and helping Vladdy make the proper adjustments to be a better hitter in the Majors?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by Schad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 am

Him. The adjustment is on Vlad's part...watch his swing in minor league games and while it is a bug violent, he stays behind the ball better. That isn't something the hitting coach has asked him to do. Hitting coaches are not omnipotent.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#215 » by So_Fresh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 am

Schad wrote:Him. The adjustment is on Vlad's part...watch his swing in minor league games and while it is a bug violent, he stays behind the ball better. That isn't something the hitting coach has asked him to do. Hitting coaches are not omnipotent.
I wouldnt say they are omnipotent. I think an experienced hitting coach can help especially with a younger hitter like Vladdy. Good experienced hitting coaches assemble scouting reports on upcoming pitchers, throw batting practice and soft toss. They offer tweaks to the mechanics of swings, or approaches based on what they know and what they have seen. Its not only Vladdy that is struggling we are seeing it with younger players like Mckinney and Drury on this team as well.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by Schad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:39 am

And then there are young hitters doing very well. People are far too quick to blame hitting coaches; hitters fails and succeed under every hitting coach. They go through hot and cold streaks under every hitting coach. That is baseball.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#217 » by So_Fresh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:51 am

Schad wrote:And then there are young hitters doing very well. People are far too quick to blame hitting coaches; hitters fails and succeed under every hitting coach. They go through hot and cold streaks under every hitting coach. That is baseball.
Other than Guirriel Jr. (who btw worked with Brook Jacoby and Gibbons and had a decent rookie year.) name these younger players that are doing very well on this team? I'm seeing more cold streaks than hot with these hitters this season. Something isnt right. Just saying.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by Schad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:58 am

Biggio is doing well. You expect too much out of hitting coaches...if memory serves you wanted Jacoby fired as well. And if we replace Martinez, you will want his replacement fired in short order, and the replacement's replacement. If your baseline is "makes young players hit like they did against minor league pitching immediately" no hitting coach will ever be good enough because that isn't within their capability.
**** your asterisk.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,433

Post#219 » by Cyrus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:27 am

i meant 20 hrs for the whole year, so 13 more in the last half of the season.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#220 » by Skin Blues » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 am

Cyrus wrote:i meant 20 hrs for the whole year, so 13 more in the last half of the season.

I'd still take the under for the whole year. But I'll still take the over on .250 even with his .240 or whatever he's at now.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays