All Things Vladdy: Debuting Friday the 26th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,038

Re: All Things Vlady: Debuting Friday the 26th 

Post#241 » by Schad » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:52 am

He also developed a bit too pull-happy of a swing, which doesn't help on pitches on the outside half. It's also fairly unnecessary...he had more HRs to straightaway than to LF, by a substantial margin, and produced a much better xOBA to center than to left, which is unusual (.450 vs .337). With his natural power, letting the ball travel a little more and clubbing it gap-to-gap in the air will produce better results than the Bautista pull-side feast-or-famine approach, where the trade-off is that you'll top an awful lot of them to the 3rd baseman.
**** your asterisk.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#242 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:45 pm

Schad wrote:He also developed a bit too pull-happy of a swing, which doesn't help on pitches on the outside half. It's also fairly unnecessary...he had more HRs to straightaway than to LF, by a substantial margin, and produced a much better xOBA to center than to left, which is unusual (.450 vs .337). With his natural power, letting the ball travel a little more and clubbing it gap-to-gap in the air will produce better results than the Bautista pull-side feast-or-famine approach, where the trade-off is that you'll top an awful lot of them to the 3rd baseman.

Bautista would get to two strikes and keep the same approach mostly. Guerrero and Bichette have tried a 2nd approach but check what has happened with Vladdy on 2 strikes vs no strikes.

With 2 strikes Vladdy slashed .174 /.246 / .272 /.518, with no strikes .385/.424/.590/1.014. i can't recall many counts he was getting pitches down the middle intentionally, therefore, maybe he should keep his no strike approach at all times the power once that you're referring to with Bautista.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#243 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:23 pm

He’ll figure things out soon enough. He has too much talent and too much smarts not too.

Considering the ridiculous pressure on him coming to a bad team that just lost their marquee player and gate attraction, I think he did just fine. Sometimes it’s better if you leave the arrow pointing up rather than coming in gunning and then have everyone wonder why you’re going backwards seasons 2 and 3.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,642

Post#246 » by polo007 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Improved conditioning has Blue Jays' Guerrero Jr. feeling 'a lot stronger' - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO – Soon after the off-season began, the testimonials started coming in. Those who had seen Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in person were quick to praise his conditioning. Everyone else observed from afar, scrutinizing Guerrero Jr.’s Instagram feed for hints that his off-season workouts were paying off.

But until Saturday, the 20-year-old third baseman hadn’t been heard from publicly. Last we heard, he was tired but determined to improve his conditioning. That was at the end of the 2019 season, a rookie year in which he flashed immense potential before fatigue slowed him down.

At Winter Fest Saturday, Guerrero Jr. said his efforts during last three and a half months are indeed paying off.

“Right now I feel a lot stronger,” he said. “Basically it’s my entire body. I feel a big change in me. I feel lighter and I’ll continue with that. There’s still one month to go before spring training, so I’m not done yet.”

In 2019, he hit .272 with 15 home runs and a 106 OPS+ on his way to a sixth-place finish in AL Rookie of the Year voting. On the other hand, he dealt with oblique and knee issues while struggling on defence at times.

Despite the up-and-down rookie year it’s reasonable to expect Guerrero Jr. can produce more in 2020. Generally speaking, stardom awaits the position players who hold their own against big-league pitching at age-20, but Guerrero Jr. knows it all starts with taking the field.

“I just want to be in the lineup every day,” he said. “The rest will come.”

A typical day for Guerrero Jr. involves baseball activities such as throwing, taking ground balls and hitting followed by time in the weight room and cardio work. While he did work out in previous off-seasons, this represents a more deliberate and consistent approach to training than in years past. Already, his teammates have taken note.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,361

Post#247 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:10 pm

-10->15 pounds of fat right there.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
polo007
General Manager

Post#248 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 7, 2020 9:27 pm

Blue Jays' Atkins confident in ‘more accountable’ Vlad Guerrero Jr. - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO — Ross Atkins and manager Charlie Montoyo sat down with Vladimir Guerrero Jr., earlier this week when the young slugger first arrived at the Toronto Blue Jays complex in Dunedin, Fla., and the general manager met with him again Thursday. They’ll spend more time together in the coming days, too, further mapping out plans for the 21-year-old, who in a remarkably candid interview with journalist Yancen Pujols used a not-safe-for-work phrase to describe how he undermined his 2020 by reporting for summer camp at 282 pounds.

During that conversation, Guerrero revealed that he apologized to teammates for letting himself go during the pandemic shutdown, squandering the previous winter’s training (he’s since lost 32 pounds), acknowledged relying primarily on his abundant talent and said he’s been outperformed by peers like Juan Soto, Fernando Tatis Jr., and Ronald Acuna Jr., because of their off-season work.

None of that surprised the Blue Jays, who’ve been hearing similar things from him behind closed doors, but Atkins appreciated Guerrero publicly taking ownership of his play.

“Throughout the process, he’s been incredibly open with us and especially in recent times,” Atkins said in an interview. “We’ve always talked about the person, we’ve always talked about how much we appreciate him and care about him, and I think recently he’s just been more accountable, and more publicly accountable, obviously. That’s just a part of his natural maturation.”

“I am so impressed by Vladdy’s ability to articulate now what his goals are, what his game-plan is, what’s motivating him, what’s driving him,” he added. “We feel more and more confident in his ability to follow through on it.”

That last part is critical, obviously, especially given that Guerrero vowed to Pujols that “next year, third base is mine.” With the Blue Jays planning to add an infielder this off-season, his progress on that front has a chance to factor into their decision-making.

Should he push his weight down into the 235-240 range, his stated goal, 30-40 games on the hot corner suddenly becomes more plausible. That would allow the Blue Jays to consider having Cavan Biggio do the heavy lifting there and more seriously look at a second base only player like Kolten Wong or Cesar Hernandez (although D.J. LeMahieu is really the best option for them).
polo007
General Manager

Post#249 » by polo007 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,361

Post#250 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Look, I love Vladdy and he has clearly been working a lot on his body, but somewhere Yoenis Cespedes is watching this video and weeping.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
polo007
General Manager

Post#251 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#252 » by polo007 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Transformation of Vlad Guerrero Jr. an early highlight of Blue Jays off-season | Toronto Sun

Blue Jays slugger Vlad Guerrero Jr. has dropped a lot of weight. Photo by Vladimir Guerrero /Instagram

Of course, Charlie Montoyo had seen the pictures and like anyone associated with the Blue Jays was both impressed and encouraged.

The Jays manager had also heard similar talk from Vlad Guerrero Jr. in the past, however – that the superstar in waiting was working hard and was committed to getting lighter and fitter to help reach those sky-high expectations. So, if there was a caution to Montoyo’s optimism from the startling images of a new-look Vlad, who could blame him?

Whatever doubts that might have existed were quickly vaporized when Montoyo, Guerrero and Jays general manager Ross Atkins met in Florida last month, however. The results — which are widely visible on Guerrero’s colourful and extensive Instagram account — are certainly eye-popping. But it was the resolve that the 21-year-old appeared to be carrying that perhaps has resonated strongest with Jays officials.

“He’s really committed,” Montoyo said over the phone from his off-season home in Tucson, Ariz. “He wants to get down to wherever he wants to get down to and he’s working really hard. You can see it in his eyes when you are talking to him and it’s like ‘trust me, I’m going to get there.’ And he’s doing it.

“I’m proud of him and how hard he’s working. He really looks good.”

Multiple people we spoke with who have seen Guerrero in the (reduced) flesh this off season, have raved at his makeover. And all are excited to see how it affects his performance going forward.

“He looks good with dropping the weight but maintaining his strength,” Jays catcher Danny Jansen told the Toronto Sun. “He looks quicker and more mobile which is going to make all aspects of his game stronger.”
polo007
General Manager

Post#253 » by polo007 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:34 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#254 » by polo007 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:29 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#255 » by polo007 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#256 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:00 am

I’m glad to see Vlade getting in shape, but I’ll be shocked if he can a competent 3B going forward. If he can play 1B for 5-6 seasons, that’s a win.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#257 » by polo007 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#258 » by polo007 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 pm