ImageImageImageImageImage

Which Jays infield stars will falter long term?

Moderator: JaysRule15

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Which Jays infield stars will falter long term? 

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 am

I know Vlad is the #1 MLB prospect. Looks like the sure thing and likely will be. But haven’t every other team with the #1 ranked prospect in the MLB felt the same. The same as say Profar in Texas or Buxton un Minny and many many more. Then you have a guy like Bichette. Considered the Jays future #2 at the MLB level. But how often to #2 ranked prospects end up as the #2 ranked best MLB stars? Not often.

That’s why I’m glad the Jays are building depth. Guys like Smith, Groshans, Biggio, Warmoth, Gurriel and more just for the middle infielder jobs. Some of these guys will flame out, others will be trade bait and a couple will be future Blue Jays. The question is who? No one can tell for sure, but who would you prefer or predict?

A few years back the Jays at catcher had Arencibia, D’Araud, AJ Jimenez and Yan Gomes... and that did not turn out good for Toronto.

Worst case I’d say Jays keep Bichette and the guy they let go. Say Groshans or Smith just as example, turn out better. I hope they try to keep the best the team rather than try to cash in a guy because another is at his position
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Which Jays infield stars will falter long term? 

Post#2 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 am

So much minor league middle infield depth. Sorting out who will have the best careers and managing the glut with trades will be the key to building future success. MiLB infield depth is really our only surplus asset as an organization.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#3 » by Schad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am

Smith, Biggio, Warmoth and Gurriel I'd rate less as potential flame-outs and more as upside guys whose odds of being average regulars are below (and in Warmoth's case, significantly below) 50/50. They're a long way from stars; promising in some respects, sure, but no great expectations should be on their shoulders, at least not yet.

Nice thing with infield depth is that you have three positions to play with. Vlad's likely not a career 3B, and Smith/Groshans can likely play that position if their bats merit. At least we've cleared the backlog at the major league level, having removed Solarte, Diaz and Tulo from the mix.
**** your asterisk.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#4 » by wamco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:08 am

I’d say urena and Warmoth stink. Gurriel will never walk enough to be anything worthwhile as a starter .i can never count out a Biggio. Smith Groshans and bo seem legit.

Vlad i see at 3b this year and then 1b after that.

Diaz trade still irritates me
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#5 » by hst420 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Who was the last good every day player the Blue Jays organization drafted, cultivated and had an impact on the team? Aaron Hill?
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#6 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 pm

hst420 wrote:Who was the last good every day player the Blue Jays organization drafted, cultivated and had an impact on the team? Aaron Hill?

Sounds about right, Rios and Wells before that.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#7 » by North_of_Border » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 pm

wamco wrote:Diaz trade still irritates me

The only thing that irritates is the fact that the Jays could and should have gotten more in return for Diaz. He was a relatively young, versatile fielder and a positive batter. Plus was not that expensive AND had years of control.

He is the perfect place holder until the prospects are ready. Would have served the same purpose as Drury but done a better job...... or at east fetch a better return than they got for him
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#8 » by hst420 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 pm

BigLeagueChew wrote:
hst420 wrote:Who was the last good every day player the Blue Jays organization drafted, cultivated and had an impact on the team? Aaron Hill?

Is it me, or does the organization have a bad track record developing their draftees into good everyday players?

Hinske was another one that arguably a successful player.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#9 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 am

hst420 wrote:
BigLeagueChew wrote:

Is it me, or does the organization have a bad track record developing their draftees into good everyday players?

Hinske was another one that arguably a successful player.

Hinske played most of his minor leagues with the cubs and a year with the athletics. Hopefully we're focused more on drafting and developping/scouting then we were back then or have better staff.We haven't developed many, even the AA era with Osuna, Pillar, Sanchez and Stroman was okay but have had their issues.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#10 » by dagger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

North_of_Border wrote:
wamco wrote:Diaz trade still irritates me

The only thing that irritates is the fact that the Jays could and should have gotten more in return for Diaz. He was a relatively young, versatile fielder and a positive batter. Plus was not that expensive AND had years of control.

He is the perfect place holder until the prospects are ready. Would have served the same purpose as Drury but done a better job...... or at east fetch a better return than they got for him

It's all about the market. A lot of guys are hitting 20-25 home runs these days. If a lot of them are on the market, meh, what do you expect as a return?

I'm a believer in all sports that logjams at positions are bad for development. That's why I'm glad to see Tulo go, and if they DFA'd Morales tomorrow, giving someone else his at bats, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Ditto finding a home for Russ Martin.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Blue Jays