Around the MLB

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Around the MLB 2019 

Post#121 » by Schad » Fri May 3, 2019 9:23 pm

Google's out there, and suggests that she does indeed do law work.

And yes, it would very much surprise me if a bunch of writers were conspiring to slander the Cubs, because that's nuts.
**** your asterisk.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#122 » by Skin Blues » Fri May 3, 2019 9:38 pm

Schad wrote:So, there are two possibilities:

- It's exactly what it looks like, a possibility that seems to me to be bolstered by their top PR flack shooting from the hip;

- This is a conspiracy among a number of individuals within the industry to slander the Cubs in order to...appear woke?

This is a false dichotomy. It could be lots of things.

It indeed probably is exactly what it looks like though. Which is an unnamed reporter that felt threatened, but likely received no actual threat. The reporter tells their friend Sheryl in private that they don't feel comfortable writing some hit piece on Addison Russell. Sheryl Ring sends out a tweet about it, and it gets WAY more attention than she thought it would. Probably never thought they'd have to corroborate any of it. She has like 1,000 followers on Twitter, most of which are in her own bubble (Woke Baseball Twitter) where made-up accusations go unchallenged. There's virtually no push-back against anything at all, it's a mutual admiration society. Then the masses saw it blow up, and it gets real. There are consequences for these claims all of a sudden, and scrutiny.

The Cubs have admitted that they complain to outlets who write stories they don't agree with. That much is very clear. But they have not admitted to threatening anybody with removing access. And if there was any evidence of them doing so, it could be made public and the Cubs has vowed to fire that employee that made threats. But yet, we see... nothing. No evidence, no names, no quotes. Just a vague "threatened with reprisal" comment.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#123 » by Schad » Fri May 3, 2019 10:24 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
It indeed probably is exactly what it looks like though. Which is an unnamed reporter that felt threatened, but likely received no actual threat. The reporter tells their friend Sheryl in private that they don't feel comfortable writing some hit piece on Addison Russell. Sheryl Ring sends out a tweet about it, and it gets WAY more attention than she thought it would. Probably never thought they'd have to corroborate any of it. She has like 1,000 followers on Twitter, most of which are in her own bubble (Woke Baseball Twitter) where made-up accusations go unchallenged. There's virtually no push-back against anything at all, it's a mutual admiration society. Then the masses saw it blow up, and it gets real. There are consequences for these claims all of a sudden, and scrutiny.

You're all over the place here. It probably is what is seemed like, but Ring's in the wrong because she's part of Woke Baseball Twitter, and also while it is what it looks like, made-up accusations go unchallenged there?

If Twitter followers are the determinant of credibility, I'll mention YET AGAIN that what Ring said was corroborated by a BP writer and a guy who has been writing for ESPN and NBC for years and had spoken to local media folks, both of whom have five-digit Twitter counts since that apparently makes all the difference.

The Cubs have admitted that they complain to outlets who write stories they don't agree with. That much is very clear. But they have not admitted to threatening anybody with removing access. And if there was any evidence of them doing so, it could be made public and the Cubs has vowed to fire that employee that made threats. But yet, we see... nothing. No evidence, no names, no quotes. Just a vague "threatened with reprisal" comment.

The head of their PR wing literally called up Ring's boss and tried to pressure them into removing her tweet. That's not supposition: that's what he himself told the media. Yet it's somehow easier to believe that they're the victim of a Woker Than Thou conspiracy (even though this really was a literally inside-baseball thing about press-club interactions until their VP of Communications decided to rather loudly and publicly step on his own genitals) than believe that the Cubs' press shop went too far in trying to deflect attention away from the bit where they were trying to build a happy narrative around "wife abuser returns!".

Also, given that you keep mentioning evidence: most journalists do not, in fact, post evidence. They are not prosecutors. They might have quotes; they might not, if it's on deep background. The test is generally whether the information can be corroborated by other credible sources, and indeed that's what has happened here.
**** your asterisk.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#124 » by Skin Blues » Fri May 3, 2019 10:37 pm

Schad wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:

You're all over the place here. It probably is what is seemed like, but Ring's in the wrong because she's part of Woke Baseball Twitter, and also while it is what it looks like, made-up accusations go unchallenged there?

If Twitter followers are the determinant of credibility, I'll mention YET AGAIN that what Ring said was corroborated by a BP writer and a guy who has been writing for ESPN and NBC for years and had spoken to local media folks, both of whom have five-digit Twitter counts since that apparently makes all the difference.

The head of their PR wing literally called up Ring's boss and tried to pressure them into removing her tweet. That's not supposition: that's what he himself told the media. Yet it's somehow easier to believe that they're the victim of a Woker Than Thou conspiracy (even though this really was a literally inside-baseball thing about press-club interactions until their VP of Communications decided to rather loudly and publicly step on his own genitals) than believe that the Cubs' press shop went too far in trying to deflect attention away from the bit where they were trying to build a happy narrative around "wife abuser returns!".

Yes, it probably is what it seems like to me. That's fairly obvious since I went into detail about what it seems like to me. I'm not presenting a false dichotomy where there's my version of events, and then there's an absurd strawman. I'm just saying what I think happened.

And I didn't say Sheryl's follower count discredits her. I said it likely meant she didn't think her tweet would get much attention outside her small circle of friends, like most of the rest of the things she tweets about. Just get some pats on the back for having the proper opinions on topics about oppressed people, and no threat of anybody challenging her about it being true or not.

I also didn't say it was supposition that the Cubs asked FanGraphs to remove the tweet. I flat out said they did it. They admit they did it. They admit they often complain to media outlets that run stories they believe are false. That doesn't mean they threatened a beat reporter with reprisal if they ran a story about Addison Russell, which is what this is all about.

With all the dishonest responses I'm seeing here, I don't see much hope for much of a conversation, but anyway, have a nice weekend. It's been nice bickering with you!!
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#125 » by Black Watch » Fri May 3, 2019 10:52 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
Schad wrote:
- This is a conspiracy among a number of individuals within the industry to slander the Cubs in order to...appear woke?

Would that surprise you? That is basically Sheryl Ring's job description at Fangraphs. "Professional lawyer" who does no law work and often gets corrected on legal matters by random posters in the comments section (LOL) who spends their entire time writing non-baseball related opinion pieces on a baseball analytics website.

100%

I'm not into conspiracy-mongering myself, but it does seem manufactured, especially in this age of internet outrage culture.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by Schad » Fri May 3, 2019 11:33 pm

Out of morbid curiosity: what makes it seem manufactured? I could perhaps buy that if the reaction to her tweet was just Theo's. But when the PR guy goes on the warpath over a tweet about overzealous PR guys, the dots seem to be connecting themselves.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,630

Post#127 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 3, 2019 11:39 pm

Lol. Hang on, the supposition is that Ring didn't think a writer for fangraphs writing that about the Cubs would get any attention outside of her circle of (1000) friends? She was just trying to sneak that out there so her fellow woke snowflakes would congratulate her for her goodthink?

I get the desperate need to, let's say, "virtue signal" that you aren't one of those woke SJW's who are ruining everything with their lies, but come on now.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#128 » by JaysRule15 » Sat May 4, 2019 1:22 am

BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#129 » by BigLeagueChew » Sat May 4, 2019 3:19 am

The Mets have released catcher Travis d’Arnaud, according to the MLB.com transactions page
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#130 » by polo007 » Sat May 4, 2019 4:48 am

Atlanta Braves starting pitcher Kevin Gausman throws behind Miami Marlins starting pitcher Jose Ureña and gets ejected.

Atlanta Braves Brian Snitker reacts to starter Kevin Gausman's ejection for throwing behind Miami Marlins starter Jose Ureña.

vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#131 » by vaff87 » Sun May 5, 2019 4:58 am

Dwight Smith Jr is having a solid year. I’m glad to see him doing well.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#132 » by The_Hater » Sun May 5, 2019 12:39 pm

Matt Kemp being released seems shortsighted by the Reds, I’m not sure how 62 PA’s an an injury supersede his solid play from last Season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#133 » by polo007 » Sun May 5, 2019 3:46 pm

Kevin Pillar makes a sensational defensive play for the San Francisco Giants, climbing up onto the wall and stealing a home run from Nick Senzel and the Cincinnati Reds.

polo007
General Manager

Post#134 » by polo007 » Sun May 5, 2019 11:18 pm

Read on Twitter
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#135 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon May 6, 2019 2:55 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Lol. Hang on, the supposition is that Ring didn't think a writer for fangraphs writing that about the Cubs would get any attention outside of her circle of (1000) friends? She was just trying to sneak that out there so her fellow woke snowflakes would congratulate her for her goodthink?

I get the desperate need to, let's say, "virtue signal" that you aren't one of those woke SJW's who are ruining everything with their lies, but come on now.

It's clearly more likely that someone with nothing to gain and a lot to lose would throw out something like this because baseball franchises don't have any track records of coverups or abuses of power whatsoever.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that I'd understand if the argument was more to wait and see what comes out but there seems to be this internet logic where, if something doesn't meet legal standards of proof, then we should assume it didn't happen. It pops up everywhere and it's ridiculous. There might have been a certain degree of misunderstanding here where the Cubs didn't feel they were threatening anyone while Ring and other baseball writers felt they did but if that's the case the natural course of action is to amicably clear up that misunderstanding. The Cubs haven't don't that.
Bucket! Bucket!
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#136 » by Cyrus » Tue May 7, 2019 4:01 pm

So that DJ Smith looking halfway decent, might even win the AL rookie of the year if he keeps it up lol. Sure better than the bums like britto and co we are putting out there or signing ben revere
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#137 » by Natural11 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Bryce Harper the $300 million dollar man with a mighty 0.3 WAR thus far and already receiving boos at home. He's only 26, odds are they will get a few good years out of him, but he's off to a terrible start given that Philly no doubt expected his best years to come early in the deal.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#138 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 am

Yankees Acquire Kendrys Morales; in exchange for cash or a player to be named later,
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Schad » Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 am

It's rare that you ship a player for practically nothing, eat 5/6ths of their contract, and still get the better end of the deal.
**** your asterisk.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#140 » by torontoaces04 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Regarding the illustrious Jays career of Socrates Brito, and his Roy Halladay connection:

"The totals for Brito’s Blue Jays career: three hits over 43 plate appearances, four walks, a slash line of .077/.163/.128, and a wRC+ of -20. The only player in Blue Jays history to have come to the plate at least 40 times and been a worse hitter (by wRC+) was Roy Halladay, who offered a hell of a lot more in other facets of the game than Brito ever could."

Return to Toronto Blue Jays