Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Re: Pillar traded to Giants 

Post#61 » by Cyrus » Thu Apr 4, 2019 4:26 pm

Myth11111 wrote:
Cyrus wrote:
Schad wrote:
So long as you aren't on a 40 man roster, you remain Rule 5 eligible. There have been players with major league experience that was Rule 5'd.

So he would need to be added to our 40 next year in order to avoid going to rule 5 again. That seems highly unlikely unless he has one heck of a year.

If he is not good enough to be on our 40 then no one is going to pick him again.

So then we essentially traded Pillar for nothing. They should have just traded him for more international money
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Post#62 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:04 pm

Cyrus wrote:
Myth11111 wrote:
Cyrus wrote:
So he would need to be added to our 40 next year in order to avoid going to rule 5 again. That seems highly unlikely unless he has one heck of a year.

If he is not good enough to be on our 40 then no one is going to pick him again.

So then we essentially traded Pillar for nothing. They should have just traded him for more international money

Who would give us international money for Pillar?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Myth11111
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#63 » by Myth11111 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:39 pm

Not sure why you think he is already a bust. Calm down.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#64 » by ratul » Sat Apr 6, 2019 10:26 am

Another trade that makes you think 'great.' Can we trade Shapiro to the Braves for Double A?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#65 » by The_Hater » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:38 pm

ratul wrote:Another trade that makes you think 'great.' Can we trade Shapiro to the Braves for Double A?

As much as you might wish that it was still 2015-16, those days are over. And the reason it ended so quickly is the fault of the previous GM, Anthopoulus, not the current one.

BTW, Shapiro isn’t the GM. Just another point that seems to have missed you.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ratul
General Manager

Post#66 » by ratul » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:17 pm

The_Hater wrote:
ratul wrote:Another trade that makes you think 'great.' Can we trade Shapiro to the Braves for Double A?

As much as you might wish that it was still 2015-16, those days are over. And the reason it ended so quickly is the fault of the previous GM, Anthopoulus, not the current one.

BTW, Shapiro isn’t the GM. Just another point that seems to have missed you.

Nonsense, we are 3-8 with the worst defense in baseball and been almost no-hit twice in 10 games. Shapiro runs the show - like Theo Epstein does even though he is also president.

Notwithstanding Shapiro has been a loser in 65% of the seasons he has been in charge of baseball operations. Whereas AA has had a winning season in 65% of the season has been a GM.

I am amazed you think it's smart to defend this a**-clown.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#67 » by polo007 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 7:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Speaking to reporters after a Giants victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday, Pillar praised the environment around his new squad while appearing to take some thinly-veiled shots at his old team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

“It was the most fun I’ve had on a baseball field this year and coming in after a win to see this environment was something I haven’t experienced in all my years in the big leagues,” Pillar said. “So that’s extra motivation to keep winning some games.”

When asked for clarification about what he meant by “environment,” Pillar was to the point.

“You just see guys genuinely happy for each other,” Pillar responded. “There’s no one who’s feeling sorry for themselves after shovelling at the plate a little bit or maybe not getting some outs on the mound.”
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#68 » by Natural11 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:09 pm

polo007 wrote:“You just see guys genuinely happy for each other,” Pillar responded. “There’s no one who’s feeling sorry for themselves after shovelling at the plate a little bit or maybe not getting some outs on the mound.”

I hate it when players do that. You can't come up with a way to compliment your current team without throwing your old team under the bus? It was hard to not feel sorry for yourself after watching most of Kevin Pillar's ABs.
ratul
General Manager

Post#69 » by ratul » Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:02 pm

Suprise suprise, we have a crap clubhouse. But don't worry, we have prospects - I think!
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#70 » by Schad » Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:31 pm

Natural11 wrote:
polo007 wrote:“You just see guys genuinely happy for each other,” Pillar responded. “There’s no one who’s feeling sorry for themselves after shovelling at the plate a little bit or maybe not getting some outs on the mound.”

I hate it when players do that. You can't come up with a way to compliment your current team without throwing your old team under the bus? It was hard to not feel sorry for yourself after watching most of Kevin Pillar's ABs.

The amusing thing is that the Giants might be worse than us this year, and have been worse than us over the past two years. It's nice that they've maintained a positive attitude about the whole winning-73-games-on-a-$200m-payroll thing, though!
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#71 » by SharoneWright » Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:46 pm

Didn't even take that long either.....
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#72 » by SharoneWright » Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:52 pm

Schad wrote:
Natural11 wrote:

The amusing thing is that the Giants might be worse than us this year, and have been worse than us over the past two years. It's nice that they've maintained a positive attitude about the whole winning-73-games-on-a-$200m-payroll thing, though!

Dont forget the lights and the fog machine! :o
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#73 » by polo007 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 1:23 am

I don’t know where to start but the last couple days have been some of the most difficult and challenging days of my career. After trying to get myself and family settled in a new city and organization, I have finally had a chance to process my feelings... Thank you isn’t enough Toronto. I gave you my heart and you gave me yours back. I was just a California kid who always had a dream of playing in the big leagues. Never in my wildest dreams would I be playing 3,000 miles away from home in a different country. On August 14, 2013 I made my MLB debut in Toronto but what I didn’t know is you would be my home for the next 7 years of my life.

To AA, Paul Beeston, and especially the guy who drafted me, Kevin Fox, thanks for believing in a 21 year old D2 baseball player. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to prove that I could not only reach the big leagues but become an everyday center fielder.

To the staff, trainers, stadium employees, clubhouse staff: thank you for your constant love and support and always making me and my family feel like family. You all touched my heart in a way that I will never forget.

To my teammates: thank you for the most unbelievable ride. We had some challenging years but we also had some pretty magical and incredible years. Despite the ups and downs of a season, you guys were the ones who made me want to play as hard as I could every single day, regardless of the score.

To the fans: Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have been the most incredible, honest, passionate fans from coast to coast. You will always have a special place in my heart and for that, I can’t thank you enough.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,109

Post#74 » by C Court » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:50 am

Read on Twitter
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#75 » by Schad » Tue Apr 9, 2019 5:12 am

To AA, Paul Beeston, and especially the guy who drafted me, Kevin Fox, thanks for believing in a 21 year old D2 baseball player. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to prove that I could not only reach the big leagues but become an everyday center fielder.

Feel like this is worth highlighting, as it has come up. I'm generally fine with ascribing the draft record to the GM because, while they don't make most of the picks, you can still argue that they played a large role in assembling the scouting department, setting direction and priorities, etc. But it's worth noting that the guy that Pillar states drafted him was our area scout, someone four levels removed from the GM (GM --> scouting director --> national crosschecker(s) --> regional crosscheckers --> area scout). Because when you're that deep in the draft, especially with DII/JuCo talents, you're dealing with players that no team has the resources to send a whole bunch of dudes out to watch...unless Pillar happened to play against a team with someone we were following at the right time, there's a good chance that Fox was the only member of the organization to ever watch him play before he was drafted.

I've heard a number of other players, particularly later picks, mention "their scout" in interviews (and they all pretty well seem to remember the name of the scout responsible), because the difference between drafted in the 32nd round and having a professional baseball career or going undrafted and ending up with an office job may ultimately come down to one guy who happens to see you and thinks you're worth a flier.

...which means that it has to sting to have been the Mets' So Cal area scout circa 2011. Because in the 32nd round, he spoke up and put forward a senior on the Cal State U - Dominguez Hills Toros. A guy by the name of Carlos Leyva, who was released after one season in professional baseball. Leyva's teammate was selected seven picks later, and Pillar's seven years deep in his major league career.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays