ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Acuna's extension close to what we can expect for Vlad, Bo?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Re: Is Acuna's extension close to what we can expect for Vlad, Bo? 

Post#21 » by Tanner » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:19 pm

The more reasonable way to go would have been to trade off 1 or 2 years of free agency in order to get guaranteed money from years 0-6. That's what most players have been doing with these extensions, and that's more fair for the player. Acuna effectively gave up an entire decade and 4 years of free agency to get guaranteed money that isn't even 'knock your socks off' type of money in baseball.

Yeah he's bet against getting hurt or declining, etc, but that makes more sense for a fringier talent. Grichuk taking $50 mil makes sense. His walk rate sucks and he's flawed enough as a player that it's a risk for both sides. Acuna is a star already and is only 21. He blew a lot of potential money by taking this deal. He's not a pitcher whose arm could fall off tomorrow either.

Vlad would laugh if this was offered to him, and that's a guy with weight issues who probably won't age well because of it. There is hedging against a work stoppage and then there's not realizing how much you are worth.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#22 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:34 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Acuna has an agent, you know?

And why do people seem to think guys who grew up rich are going to be greedier?

I think the "he probably has no idea what his actual value is and just took the money when it was there for him" comment was referring to when he signed for $100K.

And it's not about guys with rich fathers being greedy, it's about the money not being life-changing for them. Vlad and Bo are not hurting for cash right now. They have low risk aversion. Vlad much more so than Bo. So, we might be able to get Bichette to sign one of these 8 year deals with team options. I don't see it with Vlad, though.

It wasn't.

AS I've said before, I think for guys like that happiness and winning are bigger priorities than money. So I think if they're happy and like it here, they'll be willing to sign an extension.

Even rich players still chase money most of the time. And Vlad and Bo are nowhere even close to rich players that hold out to maximize their earnings. They're about the equivalent of player that's about to enter their first year of arbitration. They have a couple million bucks, but they're pretty far away from making mega millions. Those types of players typically don't ignore money and just go for happiness.
Myth11111
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#23 » by Myth11111 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:38 pm

I agree 100% with Tanner. The only way you take that deal is if you have zero confidence in your abilities or think something really bad is going to happen to you health wise.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#24 » by Schad » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:56 pm

Myth11111 wrote:I agree 100% with Tanner. The only way you take that deal is if you have zero confidence in your abilities or think something really bad is going to happen to you health wise.

Or believe that the economics of baseball might be changing.

In the last two months (among others):

Trout signed a significantly "below-market" extension.
Nola signed a significantly "below-market" extension.
Bregman signed a significantly "below-market" extension.
Bogaerts signed a significantly "below-market" extension.
Acuna signed a significantly "below-market" extension.

These are some of the best players in baseball, at varying places in their careers, with varying degrees of wealth. All are represented by top agents. All gave away free agent years cheaply relative to past norms. At some point, perhaps we have to wonder if they're doing this for a reason beyond "they're idiots/lacking self-belief".
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#25 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 8:05 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I think the "he probably has no idea what his actual value is and just took the money when it was there for him" comment was referring to when he signed for $100K.

And it's not about guys with rich fathers being greedy, it's about the money not being life-changing for them. Vlad and Bo are not hurting for cash right now. They have low risk aversion. Vlad much more so than Bo. So, we might be able to get Bichette to sign one of these 8 year deals with team options. I don't see it with Vlad, though.

It wasn't.

AS I've said before, I think for guys like that happiness and winning are bigger priorities than money. So I think if they're happy and like it here, they'll be willing to sign an extension.

Even rich players still chase money most of the time. And Vlad and Bo are nowhere even close to rich players that hold out to maximize their earnings. They're about the equivalent of player that's about to enter their first year of arbitration. They have a couple million bucks, but they're pretty far away from making mega millions. Those types of players typically don't ignore money and just go for happiness.

The hell are you talking about? I’m talking from the standpoint that both of these guys grew up as millionaires. Vladdy has a father that made over $100 mil. They have a totally different perspective on money from most baseball players.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#26 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 3, 2019 9:45 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
It wasn't.

The hell are you talking about? I’m talking from the standpoint that both of these guys grew up as millionaires. Vladdy has a father that made over $100 mil. They have a totally different perspective on money from most baseball players.

It's pretty clear what I'm talking about. Almost nobody doesn't care about money, even established stars that earned tens of millions themselves. They have some cash but $100M to them is about the same as it is to a scrub entering arbitration. Dante Bichette made like $40M in his career, you think Bo is seeing much of that? I doubt it. He lives comfortably, sure. But so does every ballplayer that's been in the majors for a couple years. Guys that sold free agent years for cheap like Grichuk, Snell, Bogaerts, Bregman, etc. You think Bo is more well off than them?? Not a chance.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays