ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays acquire Edwin Jackson for probably $10 and a Blockbuster promotional coupon from 2001

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Jays acquire Edwin Jackson for probably $10 and a Blockbuster promotional coupon from 2001 

Post#1 » by Schad » Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 pm

This is mostly noteworthy because Jackson has pitched for 13 different MLB teams; he's currently level with Octavio Dotel atop the all-time leaderboard. So at some point we'll probably get to witness history, in the form of a three-inning start and near-immediate DFA.
**** your asterisk.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Re: Jays acquire Edwin Jackson for probably $10 and a Blockbuster promotional coupon from 2001 

Post#2 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am

So you're telling me it's a power shift?
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Re: Jays acquire Edwin Jackson for probably $10 and a Blockbuster promotional coupon from 2001 

Post#3 » by T-d0t » Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm

History being made folks!
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#4 » by So_Fresh » Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 pm

I miss Blockbuster video and the free popcorn!
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#5 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pm

So_Fresh wrote:I miss Blockbuster video and the free popcorn!

Blockbuster is a hilarious example of terrible corporate foresight. You look at some of their competitors and they were already gameplanning to move out of the industry while Blockbuster just didn't. Rogers was in other business lines even before they got into the movie rental industry and so bailed without a second thought. Blockbuster started out in the industry but never seemed to seriously consider that technology might change until it was too late. Netflix was mailing out DVDs at the time and by the time Blockbuster decided that it might be worthwhile to do what Netflix was doing and streaming stuff, it was already September 2011 and Netflix had been in the streaming game since 2005 and had a huge head start while Rogers was about to close all it's stores just a few months later. An example of how quarterly capitalism ran afoul of long-term monopoly capitalism. I'm still not sure which is better.
Bucket! Bucket!
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#6 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri May 24, 2019 1:37 am

Jumbo video had much better popcorn plus some had microplay game stores in them as well. Those were great times
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#7 » by So_Fresh » Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Jumbo video had much better popcorn plus some had microplay game stores in them as well. Those were great times
I remember Jumbo video. Great times indeed.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#8 » by Schad » Fri May 24, 2019 1:40 am

Not directly related, but when I was 18, I applied to work at some movie rental chain whose name escapes me. They were ready to hire me, but they had some corporate-mandated psychological profiling test that all potential hires had to fill out.

It might not surprise people here to learn that I was deemed psychologically unfit to rent copies of Friday to stoned kids.
**** your asterisk.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#9 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 am

Schad wrote:Not directly related, but when I was 18, I applied to work at some movie rental chain whose name escapes me. They were ready to hire me, but they had some corporate-mandated psychological profiling test that all potential hires had to fill out.

It might not surprise people here to learn that I was deemed psychologically unfit to rent copies of Friday to stoned kids.
Sounds like Hollywood video I think, my first job like 25 years ago they said don't rent Cheech and Chong movies to anyone who doesn't look like a hippie
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#10 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 am

Please tell me someone paid the Jays $10 for Jackson. The fanbase should get free admission every time he starts.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."

Return to Toronto Blue Jays