ImageImageImageImageImage

General Blue Jays Thread, 2019

Moderators: Rhettmatic, Alfred, Schad

Adrian_05
RealGM
And1: 4,496

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2019 

Post#101 » by Adrian_05 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm

I think they'll sign Rick Porcello and bring back Bucholz and call it a day.
wamco
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#102 » by wamco » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:13 pm

Remember the adage we heard before was we would spend when the time was right...and that time came when we bottomed out to last place . I’m not expecting 150m payroll next season but I think 100m would make sense as we can add players in free agency that we think will still be good in 2021 and 2022.
I don’t see signing the type of pitchers I named as spending big If they sign for 3/49. I’d call cole spending big. This offseason sp market is better than next year and we have tons of payroll so I couldn’t see a better match.
Unless you think we are gonna go out there with a 60m or so payroll and be ok with being a complete crap team again.
Last year made sense as we graduated and integrated the bats. The same can’t be said for sp next year. Pearson is coming and that’s it.
We don’t punt a season for the panonne, borucki, srf, zeuch, Kay,Thornton’s. That is not high end talent. At Best we get a serviceable 4 and 5 sp outta this group and that’s probably not gonna happen IMO. The next wave of pitching is 2021 and pitchers typically struggle upon arrival so I wouldn’t expect any sp to rip it up from the start

I’d be pumped if those guys could turn into a good cheap bullpen but they all come with warts right now.

So signing 3 sp to short contracts to go with shoemaker and Thornton makes a sensible attack to the offseason to me.

Time is ticking on front office contracts as well. Time to flex the financial muscle they have been waiting for.
wamco
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#103 » by wamco » Tue Oct 1, 2019 8:35 pm

Sounds like #BlueJays plan to spend more this winter. More like after '15 and '16 than after '17 and '18 per Atkins, who says #Jays are open to different structures and term.

Atkins: 'the overall outlay will be more significant than it certainly was last year'

Return to Toronto Blue Jays