Moderator: JaysRule15

LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2019 

Post#61 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:08 am

Cyrus wrote:
polo007 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Pompey DFA’d. Don’t let the overhead bats hit you on the way out, I guess. :dontknow:

Read on Twitter

Don't get why we didn't just give him a look to see what we have? It's not like we are any closer to winning with the big club, we couldn't send a scrub off the main roster?? Like I mean send down Drury or Billy M, see what you got for 2 months or 2 weeks with Dalton, then DFA if he can't hit, etc.

Heard stories that he had kind of a sense of entitlement and felt like he didn't really need to hustle or practice. Again this is hearsay, but that's the rumour I heard from a trainer that's trained a few MLB players.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#62 » by polo007 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#63 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#64 » by The_Hater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:47 pm

Cyrus wrote:
polo007 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Pompey DFA’d. Don’t let the overhead bats hit you on the way out, I guess. :dontknow:

Read on Twitter

Don't get why we didn't just give him a look to see what we have? It's not like we are any closer to winning with the big club, we couldn't send a scrub off the main roster?? Like I mean send down Drury or Billy M, see what you got for 2 months or 2 weeks with Dalton, then DFA if he can't hit, etc.

Those other players all tore up the pitching in the high level minors, Pompey had one big AA season and then kept getting worse in AAA so giving him a major league spot wouldn’t have produced anything positive. The fact that he was Canadian prospect in a very thin Jays farm system made him a household name and quite overrated.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#65 » by polo007 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#66 » by polo007 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#67 » by polo007 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#68 » by Schad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Paulino has been released. He had passed through waivers, so we could have simply assigned him to the minors...can't help but feel there's a story there.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#69 » by dagger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:18 pm

I wonder if Smoak and Maile will get the Galvis treatment - waived, shot at a contender that might need a bit of backup strength. Montoyo announced that Tellez will play mostly at 1B from here on in, and that catching duties will be split between Jansen and McGuire.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#70 » by Cyrus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 am

Should we look at chicago white sox tear down with caution, they are what year 3 or 4 now after trading sale and all their "high end" playres for prospects, and so far aren't that much better. Not to say having sale and others as they aged would have done them any better either.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#71 » by Schad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:22 am

I wouldn't be too concerned. Yeah, the White Sox tore everything down, but if you look at their roster, it's still pretty old. And a large part of the reason it's old is that they had some really awful drafts/IFAs, so few quality young players have bubbled up. From 2012-2017, here's the grand sum of the major leaguers/high-end prospects that they've found:

Tim Anderson. Flawed, but solid enough SS.
Carlos Rodon. Derailed by injury, but also not very good.
Aaron Bummer. Decent-enough reliever.
Luis Robert. Feast/famine J2 signee, their top prospect.

Considering that they had some relatively high picks, plus being at least on level playing ground in IFA, that's atrocious. They have had some arms blow up and the usual, but they've also just whiffed on a lot of opportunities. Their most-recent two drafts look a bit better, and they could still fill out a credible core, but you can't get next to nothing into the pipeline for six seasons and rebuild well.

They're actually the reverse of our management in that regard: their biggest trades actually look quite good (Moncada and Kopech is an excellent return for Sale if Kopech can stay healthy; Eloy and Dylan Cease is an excellent return for Quintana; Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Adam Eaton looks like a steal), but that alone isn't enough.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#72 » by phillipmike » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Schad wrote:I wouldn't be too concerned. Yeah, the White Sox tore everything down, but if you look at their roster, it's still pretty old. And a large part of the reason it's old is that they had some really awful drafts/IFAs, so few quality young players have bubbled up. From 2012-2017, here's the grand sum of the major leaguers/high-end prospects that they've found:

Considering that they had some relatively high picks, plus being at least on level playing ground in IFA, that's atrocious. They have had some arms blow up and the usual, but they've also just whiffed on a lot of opportunities. Their most-recent two drafts look a bit better, and they could still fill out a credible core, but you can't get next to nothing into the pipeline for six seasons and rebuild well.

They're actually the reverse of our management in that regard: their biggest trades actually look quite good (Moncada and Kopech is an excellent return for Sale if Kopech can stay healthy; Eloy and Dylan Cease is an excellent return for Quintana; Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Adam Eaton looks like a steal), but that alone isn't enough.

Pretty much started typing the bold then saw what you wrote.

And i just looked up their draft record from 2012 to 2017, boy what you listed was 100% right and terrible.

White Sox did what they Jays didnt by selling early, went for high end pitching early in the draft and in trades and drafting poorly as a whole. Seems like the Jays are ahead of where the Sox are after rebuilding close to 3 seasons later. That should speak to how well the Jays are drafting.

Biggest one that hurts for the White Sox is trading a prospect for James Shields... turned out to be Fernando Tatis Jr.

Could you imagine a lineup of;

C: Collins
1B: Vaughan
2B: Mandrigal
SS: Tatis
3B: Moncada
OF: Eloy
OF: Robert
OF: Anderson

Then arms like Giolito, Lopez, Rondon, Kopech, Fulmer, Dunning, and Cease. Tatis is only one guy but he could change the makeup of a rebuild like he might have for the Padres and Bo/Vladdy did for us.
polo007
General Manager

Post#73 » by polo007 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Smoak, Montoyo clear air over comments on Blue Jays veteran's playing time - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO – In the moments after the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Texas Rangers 3-0 on Tuesday night, Charlie Montoyo stopped by Justin Smoak’s locker and the two had a conversation. Hours earlier, Rowdy Tellez had been recalled from triple-A Buffalo and during his daily pre-game briefing with reporters, the manager had said, "Rowdy’s probably going to play more than Smoak, if I have to guess right now." The apparent cut into his playing time caught the veteran first baseman off guard, as to that point he had heard no such thing. Air needed to be cleared.

"He said it kind of came out the wrong way, maybe. That’s how it was explained to me," Smoak said in an interview Wednesday. "We talked a little bit and I was told I’m still going to play a lot. It’s not like I’m losing time, it’s more like the beginning of the year when I’d DH and Rowdy would play first, or I’d play first and Rowdy would DH, whatever it was. It’s going to be more of that, I would expect, than anything. That’s what I’ve been told. I don’t feel it’s going to more of an automatic reduction of playing time. At least I hope that’s not the case."

Montoyo echoed Smoak’s view on playing time, saying he envisaged dispersing at-bats to the 32-year-old slugger and Tellez "more or less like when they were here together at the beginning, splitting time DHing and playing first."

"I said I want to see Rowdy a lot, because I do, I want to see what kind of adjustment he made," Montoyo continued. "Maybe it came out like he’s going to play more than Smoak, but it’s still the same way. Smoak will DH, play first. I don’t see that much of a difference."
The_Hater

Post#74 » by The_Hater » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Does anyone hear like listening to Kevin Barker? He’s right up there with Leo Rautins on the nails on the chalkboard ratings with me. Hate his voice and hate his so called analysis even more. It’s all drivel.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#75 » by vaff87 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm

The_Hater wrote:Does anyone hear like listening to Kevin Barker? He’s right up there with Leo Rautins on the nails on the chalkboard ratings with me. Hate his voice and hate his so called analysis even more. It’s all drivel.

Leo has improved. Gets on my nerves less than jack, tbh. Also he's awesome on twitter these days, always going after right wing politicians :lol:
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#76 » by Cyrus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Schad wrote:I wouldn't be too concerned. Yeah, the White Sox tore everything down, but if you look at their roster, it's still pretty old. And a large part of the reason it's old is that they had some really awful drafts/IFAs, so few quality young players have bubbled up. From 2012-2017, here's the grand sum of the major leaguers/high-end prospects that they've found:

I just meant, didn't they try to rush through the re-build and are now no where closer than they were , when they started.
The_Hater

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 pm

vaff87 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Does anyone hear like listening to Kevin Barker? He’s right up there with Leo Rautins on the nails on the chalkboard ratings with me. Hate his voice and hate his so called analysis even more. It’s all drivel.

Leo has improved. Gets on my nerves less than jack, tbh. Also he's awesome on twitter these days, always going after right wing politicians :lol:

I think I just lost a tad bit of respect for you today... :wink:

Leo is still repeating the same drivel he was saying on air in 1996, he hasn’t had an original thought in 23 years. And when the replay shows that he was wrong on his original opinion, he always doubles down instead of changing it. Sign of a narcissist.

I guess he gains 1 small point for his Politics
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#78 » by The_Hater » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Cyrus wrote:

I just meant, didn't they try to rush through the re-build and are now no where closer than they were , when they started.

Unless the Jays trade Guerrero or Bichette for a fading 34 year old starting pitcher, we’re likely one huge step ahead of the White Sox right there.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#79 » by polo007 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#80 » by polo007 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:00 am