Oh Nos @ O's, June 11th-13th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Oh Nos @ O's, June 11th-13th 

Post#21 » by Schad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 am

Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap to a team that wanted to lose more than you.
**** your asterisk.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#22 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 am

Thorntons never taking that catchers gear off.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#23 » by Black Watch » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:46 am

I'm hoping the O's come back!
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#24 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 am

Black Watch wrote:I'm hoping the O's come back!

It's happening!! :peace:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#25 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 am

So_Fresh wrote:
Schad wrote:Giles going on the DL mid-June with elbow problems is about the worst-case for his trade value.

Nighmare season continues... :banghead:

I honestly don’t understand your post; everyone knew that the team was going to be terrible this year. If you’re going to be bad, it’s better to be really really really bad then just be kind of bad. I want them to be horrible so they get the number one pick in the draft.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#26 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:07 am

gundysmullet wrote:
So_Fresh wrote:
Schad wrote:Giles going on the DL mid-June with elbow problems is about the worst-case for his trade value.

I honestly don’t understand your post; everyone knew that the team was going to be terrible this year. If you’re going to be bad, it’s better to be really really really bad then just be kind of bad. I want them to be horrible so they get the number one pick in the draft.

Would be nice to trade Giles at the peak of his powers though...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#27 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 am

SharoneWright wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
So_Fresh wrote:

Would be nice to trade Giles at the peak of his powers though...

Yeah, but now he is hurt
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Schad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:22 am

Indeed, and that's the unfortunate bit. Really, there are only three things that we can hope for at the moment: the development of our young players, to get (and succeed with) a high pick in 2020, and to move our vets for good value. So having Giles go down when he was putting up some of the best relief numbers in baseball does hurt; we really need the assets that he (and Stroman, and perhaps Smoak/Sanchez/others) could return.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#29 » by dagger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Schad wrote:Indeed, and that's the unfortunate bit. Really, there are only three things that we can hope for at the moment: the development of our young players, to get (and succeed with) a high pick in 2020, and to move our vets for good value. So having Giles go down when he was putting up some of the best relief numbers in baseball does hurt; we really need the assets that he (and Stroman, and perhaps Smoak/Sanchez/others) could return.

Doesn't seem like Giles will be out for long, he's basically out a week with his DL backdated. If anything, they are probably being cautious with his asset value. If he's active, and doesn't pitch, it means taxing the rest of the essentially seven-man-bullpen-plus-Elvis. And if he pitches, it likely includes some non-closing situations that can only detract from his value (i.e. if he does well in such situations, it doesn't help his value but if he blows up in such a game it might). Romano was burning things up at BUF. It's still early June, so we have a long way to go to the trade deadline.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#30 » by So_Fresh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:58 am

Guerrero JR with another 2 hits tonight. Looks like he's heating up! Albeit against the Orioles.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Schad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:03 am

Honestly, Vlad's been hot ever since his initial slump. Even prior to last night he was hitting .269/.327/.538 over a 24-game span...that's quite good, especially as his BABIP is far lower than it ought to be given his quality of contact.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#32 » by dagger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Schad wrote:Honestly, Vlad's been hot ever since his initial slump. Even prior to last night he was hitting .269/.327/.538 over a 24-game span...that's quite good, especially as his BABIP is far lower than it ought to be given his quality of contact.

It also underscores the benefit of just filtering out the bad stuff on this team and focussing exclusively on the young guys and their achievements, like a pair of grand slams for Tellez, a two-dinger night for Biggio, and so on. The season is bad for cause, but under the awfulness, the good stuff is becoming more evident. Bo Bichette is a good bet for promotion once a move or two is made to accommodate his presence, and Anthony Alford may force his way back into the picture soon.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#33 » by Trilogy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:47 pm

I don't think Tellez is a bright spot unfortunately. He's displayed some degree of power but there isn't anything else there so far. He has a -0.3 WAR and a 85 wRC+. For a bat only type of guy, he's on the fringe.

Gurriel's the one who's been doing very well. I still don't like his overall profile but he has a lot of power in his bat and makes enough overall contact it seems. I'm interested to see how he does going forward.

It's good to see Biggio carry over his profile in the minors of a heavy walk rate. I think his approach will pay off in the majors.

Alford's recovery from his early season slump is hugely encouraging. If he keeps this up for a bit while longer I could see him being called up soon. I wouldn't mind him sticking in AAA as he's been poor for a long while before this but management seems to want to push him.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Schad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Tellez definitely needs to display more of the approach he had in the minors; it may ultimately be that he doesn't have the bat speed to be a guy that displays both power and patience at the same time.

If not for some awful BABIP luck, Biggio would be posting eye-popping numbers early. Think his approach plays even as a corner OF.
**** your asterisk.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#35 » by BigLeagueChew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 am

Well we're not playing Baltimore anymore, 2 innings 6 runs against. Oh and Vlad jr hit in the hand by a pitch and has left the game, ****!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays