Moderator: JaysRule15

phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Re: Jays trade David Phelps to the Cubs 

Post#21 » by phillipmike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm

dagger wrote:
phillipmike wrote:
Cyrus wrote:HE's 24, will he have to be exposed in the rule 5 draft next year if we don't protect?

Yes and doubt they will.

At 39, Phelps comes off, Richard, Hudson, Smoak, Axford, Bucholz all coming off will be at 32. Gavis, Sanchez, Giles and Biagini may not be on this team by December. Then have some guys that may not have a long term future with the club in Font, Law, Travis, and maybe a few others.

Notable names that will be first time eligible; Adams, Castillo, Moreno, Pearson, Noda, Neal, Kevin Smith, Samad Taylor, Warmoth, Winckowski and Young. Add Anthony Kay.

For this year's Rule 5, Draft eligibility for all but prep draftees and internationals from 2015 starts with the 2016 entry draft, and Pearson, Smith and Warmoth were drafted in 2017. With Bichette, Biggio, Zeuch and Kay on the 40 man roster now, and Winckowski, Taylor and Young on Dunedin, it's doubtful they will attract much attention. And the team still have lots of dross on the 40 man roster. to make room for Hatch and Tucker. Smoak (FA), Richard (FA), Maile (FA), Brock Stewart (FA), Buddy Boshers, Justin Shafer, etc etc. Even among prospects, Reid Foley is on thin ice as is Yennsy Diaz, Juliasn Merryweather, Patrick Murphy, etc. I doubt they plan to expose Hatch and Tucker to the draft, it would look rather stupid.

You are right, I was reading from the 2020 list not the 2019 list;

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/pages/rule-5-eligible-players-2

So the list is a lot smaller. Before the trade Hatch was borderline for me but since the trade he gets added for sure in my opinion.

Who’s tucker?
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#22 » by wamco » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 pm

I’m not totally convinced merryweather is a real person.
Where do Romano and Bergen start next year?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#23 » by dagger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

wamco wrote:I’m not totally convinced merryweather is a real person.
Where do Romano and Bergen start next year?

I believe the placement of all of the potential relievers - those on the 40 man roster plus a few like Bergen - will be a spring training thing. Assuming a few of the stiffs on the 25 man roster are thrown aside, and Elvis Luciano is dispatched to Dunedin or New Hampshire to continue his development, that ought to open the path for 2-3 younger candidates to make the team in April. Who starts will obviously inform the question of who relieves, as well as the question of how much Montoyo and the coaching staff want a couple of relievers who profile well as openers. Wilmer Font might have secured a job for himself for another season, and a couple of the trade additions – Hatch and Tucker – might also be solid candidates for opener rather than late inning roles. This whole opener thing, and the likelihood that we aren't going to sign even mid-priced relievers next season, shades any discussion of who in the minors might make the Jays as a reliever.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#24 » by bluerap23 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Is there any chance we see a rotation featuring
Pearson, Kay, Zeuch, SRF and Borucki next year?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays