SS R. Urena S

Hope Bichette is alright.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Jays at O's - Sept 17-19 

Post#162 » by SharoneWright » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Looking forward to Alford's 9-game hit streak to close out the season!!

Go Mariners and Pirates!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#163 » by BigLeagueChew » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Looking forward to Alford's 9-game hit streak to close out the season!!

Go Mariners and Pirates!

Was watching this video from Alford from 2011-2012. His swing looks very different now.

He looks more hunched over now and more of a bat wrap.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#164 » by Schad » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Wilmer Font's chickens have unfortunately come home to roost...and generally in the upper deck. He does a number of things well, but it's hard to get around the bit where he allows 2.0 HR/9, which puts him in pretty rare company (among pitchers with as many/more IP than he has in his career, only five have a higher HR rate...out of 816 pitchers. There are no good pitchers in that end of the pool).
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#165 » by dagger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Schad wrote:Wilmer Font's chickens have unfortunately come home to roost...and generally in the upper deck. He does a number of things well, but it's hard to get around the bit where he allows 2.0 HR/9, which puts him in pretty rare company (among pitchers with as many/more IP than he has in his career, only five have a higher HR rate...out of 816 pitchers. There are no good pitchers in that end of the pool).

Next to Stewart with his 7.25 ERA, Font is practically Cy Young. IO would have preferred to see someone like Hatch get a few innings at the MLB level since he's obviously going to be added to the 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#166 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 am

Someone slather some butter on Buchholz... he's toast.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#167 » by Black Watch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 am

I'm actually hoping we lose tonight. Want to lock down that fifth draft pick :)
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#168 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:47 am

This has been wildly entertaining to say the least. Little bit of everything! Lolz!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#169 » by spykelee » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:04 am

Baseball is so **** stupid

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by Schad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:07 am

As I'm writing this in the top of the 14th, the Jays have used 21 players in total, and the Orioles 23.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#171 » by SharoneWright » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:30 am

Crap.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#172 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:31 am

JAYS WIN! JAYS WIN! COME FROM BEHIND IN EXTRA INNINGS! :P! :)! :D!
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Schad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am

That's a memorable way to hit your first career HR. Well, memorable for Alford at least, and perhaps for the eight people still watching. Only 1.5 up on Pittsburgh now.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#174 » by SharoneWright » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:33 am

^which is essentially 0.5 if you say they hold the tiebreaker.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by Schad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:41 am

SharoneWright wrote:^which is essentially 0.5 if you say they hold the tiebreaker.

Wait a moment, I'm an idiot. We hold the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh...it was Cincy that was the dumpster fire in the NL Central last year, not the Pirates. Tiebreaker is previous season's record, and we were worse than them in 2018.

The season is saved!
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#176 » by SharoneWright » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:49 am

Schad wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:^which is essentially 0.5 if you say they hold the tiebreaker.

Wait a moment, I'm an idiot. We hold the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh...it was Cincy that was the dumpster fire in the NL Central last year, not the Pirates. Tiebreaker is previous season's record, and we were worse than them in 2018.

The season is saved!

Hey, that's good news. Even better than a coin flip!
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#177 » by dagger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Schad wrote:That's a memorable way to hit your first career HR. Well, memorable for Alford at least, and perhaps for the eight people still watching. Only 1.5 up on Pittsburgh now.

Last night was the weirdest experience I have had in the Rogers Centre. We copped my brother in laws great seats because it was my wife's birthday. She's not a ball fan, but decided it would be a nice outing anyway, fresh air and all that - except the idiots had the roof closed. Anyway, she's pretty bored through the first several innings, despite all the scoring, but starts to get into it as we hit the eighth inning. Jays tie it, stadium is pretty up, at least the few thousand fans still there. We go into extras, and after both teams added a run, I'm ready to pack it in. But she won't. She's have a ball. Why? there are so few fans left that you can hear everything. Every umpires call. Every catcall. I mean fans are bellowing insults - mainly at Villar and poor Chris Davis ("Your're overpaid, Christopher, overpaid"). But basically a leather lungs are providing real entertainment. And the crowd - the 1500 or so still around, is lapping it up. So we hung out to the end, just long enough to miss the early subway closure, and had to ride shuttle busses to Bloor/Yonge. Maybe this empty stadium thing is a nice promotional idea for Rogers. Come for the game, stay for the fan-generated entertainment.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by Schad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 pm

dagger wrote:
Schad wrote:That's a memorable way to hit your first career HR. Well, memorable for Alford at least, and perhaps for the eight people still watching. Only 1.5 up on Pittsburgh now.

Last night was the weirdest experience I have had in the Rogers Centre. We copped my brother in laws great seats because it was my wife's birthday. She's not a ball fan, but decided it would be a nice outing anyway, fresh air and all that - except the idiots had the roof closed. Anyway, she's pretty bored through the first several innings, despite all the scoring, but starts to get into it as we hit the eighth inning. Jays tie it, stadium is pretty up, at least the few thousand fans still there. We go into extras, and after both teams added a run, I'm ready to pack it in. But she won't. She's have a ball. Why? there are so few fans left that you can hear everything. Every umpires call. Every catcall. I mean fans are bellowing insults - mainly at Villar and poor Chris Davis ("Your're overpaid, Christopher, overpaid"). But basically a leather lungs are providing real entertainment. And the crowd - the 1500 or so still around, is lapping it up. So we hung out to the end, just long enough to miss the early subway closure, and had to ride shuttle busses to Bloor/Yonge. Maybe this empty stadium thing is a nice promotional idea for Rogers. Come for the game, stay for the fan-generated entertainment.

The Rays had that guy...because it was always so quiet in the stadium, every player, fan and broadcaster could hear him heckling constantly. Perhaps coincidentally, he's a Toronto native: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Szasz
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#179 » by SharoneWright » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Possibly my fav memory from attending games at Skydome was sneaking down one time behind home plate with a few friends during a 17 inning game in 1995. Place was empty. Not the "leather lung" type, normally, I couldn't resist.

Up comes Joe. Me at the top of my lungs: "I'll have a Smokin' Joe's McBaaacon Deluxe!!"
Joe doubled over with a hearty guffa.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Next at bat... A few girls were pretty loud yelling fawning stuff like Joe, you're the best,, Joe you're the greatest,, etc. Just as they quiet down,, ME: "Joe, you suck!!" LOL. He loved it.

Man, I'm old.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#180 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Schad wrote:
dagger wrote:

The Rays had that guy...because it was always so quiet in the stadium, every player, fan and broadcaster could hear him heckling constantly. Perhaps coincidentally, he's a Toronto native: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Szasz

I have to admit, the guy's pretty good.

SharoneWright wrote:Possibly my fav memory from attending games at Skydome was sneaking down one time behind home plate with a few friends during a 17 inning game in 1995. Place was empty. Not the "leather lung" type, normally, I couldn't resist.

Up comes Joe. Me at the top of my lungs: "I'll have a Smokin' Joe's McBaaacon Deluxe!!"
Joe doubled over with a hearty guffa.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Next at bat... A few girls were pretty loud yelling fawning stuff like Joe, you're the best,, Joe you're the greatest,, etc. Just as they quiet down,, ME: "Joe, you suck!!" LOL. He loved it.

Man, I'm old.

1995 was a terrible year to be a Jays fan. That's my entry for the most inexplicably underachieving season in Blue Jays franchise history. The 14-0 defeat against an average and non-playoff California Angels is something I'll never forget. Still can't wrap my neurons around the drop-off following 93.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021

Return to Toronto Blue Jays