ImageImageImageImageImage

In the Hall?

Moderator: JaysRule15

BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Re: In the Hall? 

Post#21 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Clemens and Bonds are finally getting into the 70 percentile.

Walker is at 83.3 percent as of Tuesday morning, Jeter in.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/baseball-hall-of-fame-2020-voting-results-updates-derek-jeter-is-a-lock-will-larry-walker-make-cut/live/
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#22 » by JN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:02 pm

I hope Larry Walker gets in. So many fond memories of Larry Walker from 1992-1994 when I was a teenager. I grew up about 75-90 minutes from the Big Owe, and I must have went to about 40 games in total those three years, especially in 1993 and 1994.

I don't think writers that are omitting him on their ballot are making a major mistake, but it is a mistake in my mind.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM

Post#23 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

JN wrote:I hope Larry Walker gets in. So many fond memories of Larry Walker from 1992-1994 when I was a teenager. I grew up about 75-90 minutes from the Big Owe, and I must have went to about 40 games in total those three years, especially in 1993 and 1994.

I don't think writers that are omitting him on their ballot are making a major mistake, but it is a mistake in my mind.

The first home run and trot, then many more. Strawberry did not move.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM

Post#24 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Radio said Bonds and Clemens were in the 70's this morning but apparently they're actually in the 60s.

Derek Jeter and Larry Walker have been inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Baseball Writers Association of America announced Tuesday evening. Jeter, predictably, has been enshrined in his first year of eligibility. However, the longtime Yankees shortstop was not unanimously elected, as he was omitted from one lone ballot. Walker, meanwhile, has at last reached the 75 percent vote threshold in his 10th and final season of eligibility on the BBWAA ballot. He appeared on 76.6 percent of this year’s ballots.

Among notable misses, Curt Schilling saw another increase, appearing on 70 percent of this year’s ballots — up from 60.9 percent in last year’s balloting. Roger Clemens (61 percent), Barry Bonds (60.7 percent) and Omar Vizquel (52.6 percent) were the only others to secure a vote on even half of this year’s ballots. That marks a bit more than a one percent increase for both Clemens and Bonds but represents a notable jump up from 42.8 percent for Vizquel.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/derek-jeter-larry-walker-elected-to-hall-of-fame.html
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#25 » by Black Watch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 pm

What in the world is Omar Vizquel doing with 52.6% of the vote?!
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
JN
RealGM

Post#26 » by JN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 am

I seem to remember going to Larry Walker's first game in Montreal in 1989. He was not a top propsect, but I remember that he got a bunch of walks that night. Went with my Dads and his Friend -- we were at our cottage and my dad's friend convinced us to go to the game to see the roof raise before the game.

I tend to remember things in pairs or threes... and sometimes obscure things, especially from when I was younger.

1) I could be wrong but I believe this game was the first time they ever raised the roof about an hour before the game at the Big Owe. Some ceremony One of my memories of them raising the roof, was they made everybody in the lower bowl move up to a higher section as a safety measure. Top notch security.... That worked for probably a month or less, and the ability to raise and close the roof quickly crapped out -- permanently.

2) My other memory from that game, is driving back home from that game. It was the only time I went to a game with my Dad's friend. I was 14 and wore my sneakers all summer without socks. I took of my shoes in the back of the car and it was rancid. My Dad's friend started dropping F bombs at me. Don't know why but that always stuck with me.
JN
RealGM

Post#27 » by JN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 am

[quote="BigLeagueChew"]Radio said Bonds and Clemens were in the 70's this morning but apparently they're actually in the 60s.
/quote]

I think they were stating the people that keep their vote private, tend to not vote for as many players. So there is always a decrease from the public vote % vs. the actual at the end.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM

Post#28 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:11 am

Read on Twitter

lol you're in dude!
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#29 » by Schad » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:12 am

Walker was long overdue. Not for the first time, crowdsourced data looks far better than the actual votes of the dudes that do it for a living:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-envelope-please-our-2020-hall-of-fame-crowdsource-ballot-results/

Rolen will get in with time, but I'm not sure how you justify Vizquel having a larger vote share than him. Yeah, Vizquel played for an extraordinarily long time...12th all-time in games played, and I believe that everyone ahead of him is in the Hall. But that speaks more to teams' willingness to keep playing a guy who was a great defender at one time for a good decade after he ceased to be a great defender. Vizquel was a solid, thoroughly useful and likable player who has no business in the Hall.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#30 » by phillipmike » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Scott Rolen was by far my favorite 3B of all time. He was magician with the glove. Great player and one of my favorite Jays.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#31 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Black Watch wrote:What in the world is Omar Vizquel doing with 52.6% of the vote?!

I think he’s compared to Ozzie by many, except he wasn’t nearly as good on either side of the ball. But I don’t think that either Trammell or Whitaker went over 55% of the vote. And Jeff Kent is undeniably getting underrated here so I’m not sure why the underrating of MI’s has suddenly been thrown out the window for Omar.

I’d still be very bothered if Schilling got in. He’s a stain.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#32 » by Metallikid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 am

The_Hater wrote:
Schad wrote:There's no question that Votto has been better than Baines, but it's hard to use Baines as a measuring stick because he was a reeeeeeally strange choice. He fell off the BBWAA ballot without ever exceeding 6.1% in any year's voting; no other Veteran's Committee selection in the modern era did worse with voters. Beyond sheer longevity, Baines has effectively no qualifications; if he's the point of reference, there are literally dozens of hitters who should be in the Hall. The two players immediately following him in career fWAR are Placido Polanco and Aramis Ramirez, and there isn't going to be much debate over their inclusion.

Basically, as far as anyone can tell, Baines got in because an inordinate number of committee members played with/managed Baines, and he's a popular fellow.

Ya, Baines never should have got in there. On top of everything else he had no defensive value at all and was a full time DH by age 28. He was a very good albeit not great hitter but playing 20+ years certainly helped his counting stats. But he was no Frank Thomas out of the same DH mold.

Was he better than Edwin?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#33 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 am

Metallikid wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Schad wrote:There's no question that Votto has been better than Baines, but it's hard to use Baines as a measuring stick because he was a reeeeeeally strange choice. He fell off the BBWAA ballot without ever exceeding 6.1% in any year's voting; no other Veteran's Committee selection in the modern era did worse with voters. Beyond sheer longevity, Baines has effectively no qualifications; if he's the point of reference, there are literally dozens of hitters who should be in the Hall. The two players immediately following him in career fWAR are Placido Polanco and Aramis Ramirez, and there isn't going to be much debate over their inclusion.

Basically, as far as anyone can tell, Baines got in because an inordinate number of committee members played with/managed Baines, and he's a popular fellow.

Ya, Baines never should have got in there. On top of everything else he had no defensive value at all and was a full time DH by age 28. He was a very good albeit not great hitter but playing 20+ years certainly helped his counting stats. But he was no Frank Thomas out of the same DH mold.

Was he better than Edwin?

Good call. Pretty much the same player with a longer career. HOF voters love total hits and Baines had over 2800. Edwin is at 1800.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays