Charlie Montoyo

Moderator: JaysRule15

SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Charlie Montoyo 

Post#1 » by SharoneWright » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:23 am

Alright. My personal elephant in the room.....

What do we have in a manager??

Does it even matter? Who knows... But Charlie was hailed as some advanced stats new era guru who would creatively win games with unique strategy. So far... meh. Good that he speaks Spanish I guess. But very mild mannered. Very invisible to be honest.

Is he the guy to get the best out of this team? What makes him great? Player relations?? Is Charlie's brain analyzing the game and churning out shrewd decisions that strike fear in the heart of the opponent? Do you trust him to guide a burgeoning playoff team and one-day championship team?? Convince me.

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,440

Re: Charlie Montoyo 

Post#2 » by KL78192020 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:21 am

cool story bro
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#3 » by Brinbe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Always saw him as a sort of a bridge manager to ensure Vlad and Co are comfortable during the rebuild and their early years. Whether he stays or not I guess depends on if they actually make progress in the standings year after year.

Yes, I know that's obvious but I've also not been knocked away by his managing so far. We don't really have an identity (other then we're rebuilding) and I don't know if I picture him as that guy to lead us to a WS.

He's kinda in that Brett Brown spot right now to mix sports.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Are some people still under the illusion that a manager, any manager, makes much difference in the grand scheme of things? Baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#5 » by Wo1verine » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:26 pm

Every-time i see him smile i am like dude go see a dentist already you're making good coin no excuses.
BrunoSkull
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#6 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:10 pm

The_Hater wrote:Are some people still under the illusion that a manager, any manager, makes much difference in the grand scheme of things? Baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport.

True, but managers can make a big difference by putting players in situations to succeed. And a bad manager can cost the team games with poor decision-making - Gibby did this an alarming number of times, for example.

Also, a manager plays a role in setting the clubhouse atmosphere. People in any career tend to perform better when they have a good work environment.

I think in the sabermetric era, the role of the manager has been far too diminished.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
The_Hater

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Are some people still under the illusion that a manager, any manager, makes much difference in the grand scheme of things? Baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport.

True, but managers can make a big difference by putting players in situations to succeed. And a bad manager can cost the team games with poor decision-making - Gibby did this an alarming number of times, for example.

Also, a manager plays a role in setting the clubhouse atmosphere. People in any career tend to perform better when they have a good work environment.

I think in the sabermetric era, the role of the manager has been far too diminished.

You’re free to argue otherwise, but I feel that just reinforces my point. ;)
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#8 » by Black Watch » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:55 pm

In today's MLB, the manager is largely inconsequential, with most in-game decisions being made by the Front Office, either through pre-planning or through direct communication. Managers are now merely prefects for the 6-month roaming slumber party that is the MLB season, where they play almost every day of the 6 months (just three off-days a month) and need some prodding here and there.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Garrett
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#9 » by Garrett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

So far I am not a fan of Charlie. He made several questionable decisions last season.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#10 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

The outfield was a mess particularly when Gurriel was out.

Third base wasn't great but understandable for Vlad's first season and translating to turf.

Rotation thin.

We've fixed one them so far and the others is a work in progress. Hopefully we find an above average player or two from our average ones kind of like Edwin and Bautista used to be.

I'd be interested in hearing what he did wrong.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#11 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:09 pm

Montoyo had nothing to work with last year. You can't push any of the right buttons if the buttons don't exist in the first place.

The jury is still very much out. Hopefully some of that Tampa Bay Rays magic shows up with more talent at his disposal.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#12 » by Schad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:20 pm

He seems mostly fine? A lot of the decisions made in 2019 weren't optimal from a game-winning standpoint, but it's unclear whether they were intended to be. Mostly, it was about getting playing time for youngsters/finding out what our options are down the road, especially with some of the weirder defensive choices.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#13 » by dagger » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:07 am

Schad wrote:He seems mostly fine? A lot of the decisions made in 2019 weren't optimal from a game-winning standpoint, but it's unclear whether they were intended to be. Mostly, it was about getting playing time for youngsters/finding out what our options are down the road, especially with some of the weirder defensive choices.

I can't imagine how to benchmark the manager of a team that was committed to development over winning. This season, with a focus on getting to, say 77-81 wins, we will have a better indication of whether his decision making is getting in the way of long-term success. As of right now, I am completely agnostic about whether he is a good manager for this team.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
The_Hater

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:17 am

Garrett wrote:So far I am not a fan of Charlie. He made several questionable decisions last season.

Such as what? Playing one of his 34 rookies instead of another?
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Garrett
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Garrett » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:48 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Garrett wrote:So far I am not a fan of Charlie. He made several questionable decisions last season.

I guess you don't watch many Jays games.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#16 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Lol, I guess you’ve never read this board? Why not just post a few of his questionable decisions for discussion instead? We talked a lot about specific decisions during the season, but it’s tough to figure out why they were made. Playing certain guys in certain situations seemed like it could either be dumb, or could be just trying to see what some guys could do in a development season.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
The_Hater

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 1, 2020 1:27 am

Garrett wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

So you don’t have anything specific, but you’re right and everyone else is an idiot.

OK
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Garrett
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Garrett » Thu Jan 2, 2020 10:13 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Garrett wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

So you don’t have anything specific, but you’re right and everyone else is an idiot.

OK

Everyone? Nope...just you.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#19 » by BigLeagueChew » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:12 am

Garrett wrote:Everyone? Nope...just you.

Stop dodging. If you claim to be the Jays game watching Champion at least tell us some managerial mistakes.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#20 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:19 am

Re-confirming my fears this year. Seems he doesn't have the tactics. Nice guy though.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays