ImageImageImageImageImage

Charlie Montoyo

Moderator: JaysRule15

Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Re: Charlie Montoyo 

Post#61 » by Skin Blues » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:52 am

Schad wrote:It's a problem right now. Still pretty relaxed about it, because "hits the ball really hard/doesn't strike out a tonne/takes a good number of walks" is still a pretty enviable base to build from.

When you put it that way it sounds better than, "Eric Hosmer but with significantly worse defense."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#62 » by Schad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:30 am

Skin Blues wrote:
Schad wrote:It's a problem right now. Still pretty relaxed about it, because "hits the ball really hard/doesn't strike out a tonne/takes a good number of walks" is still a pretty enviable base to build from.

When you put it that way it sounds better than, "Eric Hosmer but with significantly worse defense."

I mean, sure, Hosmer's kind of a funhouse mirror version of that. Same flaw but worse in every conceivable way at the plate: his average launch angle is lower, his exit velocity is lower, he strikes out more, he chases out of the zone more, he swings and misses more.

But 2015-2017 Hosmer (when he wasn't a trash heap) is fairly instructive. Hosmer posted an xwOBA between .372-.381 each of those years while being flawed as hell because hitting the ball hard/not striking out a lot/taking a good number of walks really can take you pretty far. He was a well-above-average hitter despite spending most of his time sadistically murdering worms, and declined in large part because his K rate started to increase and he (somehow) became even more GB-prone.

Now, we obviously want Vlad to be more than just an above-average hitter who plays bad defense, and for that he most definitely needs to get more loft on the ball, and also he can't backslide on things he does do well. But he's still 21 and has an enormous amount of talent...it's certainly possible that he won't figure it out, but the smart money is still on him making the necessary adjustments, I suspect.
**** your asterisk.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,315

Post#63 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Joe Panik is DH'ing tonight. That is all.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#64 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:26 am

Schad wrote:Reordering lineups based on small datasets of player vs player matchups is the very opposite of sabermetrics.
When you put it that way, it probably isn't a big deal pushing Teoscar back a bit because he really isn't the hitter he's shown thus far amd will average out in the end and has a really small sample of mostly against RHP so far.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,315

Post#65 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:29 am

Read on Twitter

Lol
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Schad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:35 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Schad wrote:Reordering lineups based on small datasets of player vs player matchups is the very opposite of sabermetrics.
When you put it that way, it probably isn't a big deal pushing Teoscar back a bit because he really isn't the hitter he's shown thus far amd will average out in the end and has a really small sample of mostly against RHP so far.

In Teoscar's career with the Jays to date, he has the best numbers of anyone other than Bichette, Biggio and Gurriel. So he's a middle-order hitter even if (and you shouldn't) you don't put a great deal of emphasis on his performance this year.
**** your asterisk.
Kris_Banks
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#67 » by Kris_Banks » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:18 pm

I don't like the way Montoyo keeps playing Font, he's cost us a few close games, his ERA right now is 8.78. What manager would put in someone pitching like him in a close game? Then the other day against Boston in the 8th inning he keeps in Fisher with the bases loaded instead of pinch-hitting Vlad. Then he puts Vlad in the 9th inning with no one on?? Then against Boston, Tellez is on 1st base in the 8th and he should obviously put in a pinch runner but he leaves him in and the next hit is a double but Tellez only gets to 3rd when anyone else would've scored. Then Boston comes back to win by one run in extra innings. You can credit those losses directly to Charlie Montoyo, I hope this guy doesn't cost us any wins in the playoffs.
We should be against the genocide of any people in North America.
carnage24
Junior
And1: 470

Post#68 » by carnage24 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:45 pm

i guess charlie keeping faith in panik was a good thing?

he is raking it
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#69 » by Natural11 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:28 pm

carnage24 wrote:i guess charlie keeping faith in panik was a good thing?

he is raking it

Charlie thought he had a chance to hit a home run and it worked out this time.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#70 » by polo007 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:03 am

Read on Twitter
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#71 » by Natural11 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:31 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well we know that guy hasn't been watching any Jays games this year.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#72 » by Trilogy » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:06 pm

COY awards are basically teams I didn't expect to be as good as they are rather than much about the coach/manager.

In the case of the Jays, their raw talent is just a lot higher than people realized. I mean, John Farrell won a damn championship and he was a total idiot.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#73 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:02 pm

I still think the micromanaging aspects of the game are being overstated and a lot of the strategy comes from higher up.

Montoyo seems to have developed a clubhouse that likes each other, doesn't have infighting or anything, that all buy in whenever he asks them to do something unusual. I suspect those are the things the Jays management team is hoping for the most out of a manager.

There are definitely reasons to criticize Montoyo but on average I think the criticism is way overstated based on heat of the moment emotional stuff and misses the bigger picture.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#74 » by SharoneWright » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:32 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:He just allowed Espinal to show bunt with two strikes in a tie game, nobody out in the 8th inning. Unbelievably dumb.

Some good memories in this old thread. This one made me LOL. Different year, same old Charlie!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,824

Post#75 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 am

The one above was pretty hilarious. This one is funny too.

Wo1verine wrote:Every-time i see him smile i am like dude go see a dentist already you're making good coin no excuses.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#76 » by The_Hater » Thu Sep 9, 2021 1:34 am

The_Hater wrote:Are some people still under the illusion that a manager, any manager, makes much difference in the grand scheme of things? Baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport.

This aged poorly….
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Schad » Thu Sep 9, 2021 3:16 am

It's still mostly true. The difference between a good manager and bad manager within normal operating parameters isn't massive. The bad manager will often make the second or third-best decision rather than the best, and the margin between those points is fairly fine. But Charlie's off-the-scale bad, and that does matter.
**** your asterisk.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#78 » by LLJ » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:32 pm

If we miss the playoffs (and it will likely be excruciatingly close if we do), SURELY Montoyo takes a lot of the blame, right? Even if "managers don't matter" they account for at the very least 5 close wins or losses in an entire season
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,376

Post#79 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm

LLJ wrote:If we miss the playoffs (and it will likely be excruciatingly close if we do), SURELY Montoyo takes a lot of the blame, right? Even if "managers don't matter" they account for at the very least 5 close wins or losses in an entire season

Montoyo has cost us a good 4-5 wins directly this year. Usually it's hard to quantify manager performance, but Montoyo makes it easy with his decisions.

I'd rather we make the playoffs, even if it means he keeps his job (he still shouldn't, but he would). But if we miss the playoffs, he better be gone.
JTT
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#80 » by JTT » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 pm

I don’t think Charlie is going anywhere. I/you/we may not like his tactical moves but his team seems to love him. They have great chemistry and play really hard. They’re outperforming their expectations and he’s going to get credit for that. They would really have to fall flat for him to get fired.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays