General Blue Jays Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2020 

Post#1001 » by bluerap23 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 am

Schad wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Wow, so we couldn't even pay Walker 3 years/23 million?

When are we going to spend money on pitching then if we can't spend that for a good 3rd starter.

The reason Walker's available for that is that he's a long way from a proven 3rd starter. His ERA last season was really lucky: he gave up much more hard contact that a pitcher can normally get away with, so it's fairly likely that he'll regress back to the back-end starter his numbers suggest he ought to be.

All else equal, would I rather have Walker than Matz, though? Yeah.

Walker would easily be our #3 starter and likely our #2 by the end of the season (unless there is another acquisition).
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#1002 » by Schad » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 am

bluerap23 wrote:
Walker would easily be our #3 starter and likely our #2 by the end of the season (unless there is another acquisition).

Or he could be our #5 starter. His ZiPS projection is a 4.46 ERA and 1.5 fWAR; that's pretty much bang-on Matz's projection, and worse than the projections for Ryu, Pearson, and Ray. I tend to like Walker more than Matz, but that's not because Walker is particularly good (it's because I'm really not a fan of Matz).
**** your asterisk.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1003 » by The_Hater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 am

On top of everything else, Walker hasn’t pitched a full season since 2017. He pitched just 4 games total in 2018-19. I’m literally shocked that he got such a long contract. I wouldn’t have given him more than 1 year.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#1004 » by bluerap23 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:15 pm

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

Or he could be our #5 starter. His ZiPS projection is a 4.46 ERA and 1.5 fWAR; that's pretty much bang-on Matz's projection, and worse than the projections for Ryu, Pearson, and Ray. I tend to like Walker more than Matz, but that's not because Walker is particularly good (it's because I'm really not a fan of Matz).

I'm just not a believer in Ray. Pearson is obviously our #2 on opening day, but will he still be pitching at the end of the year? I hope I'm wrong about both.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#1005 » by Cyrus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Pearson is going to be on inning limit for the season, even if he dominates, which based on last year, isn't a given.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#1006 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 am

Read on Twitter
The_Hater

Post#1007 » by The_Hater » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Cyrus wrote:Pearson is going to be on inning limit for the season, even if he dominates, which based on last year, isn't a given.

Still a much better first season than Roy Halliday posted!
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1008 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Home Away From Home: Sportsnet Announces Blue Jays 2021 Spring Training Broadcast Schedule | Sportsnet Media Centre

February 26, 2021 – Spring(er) has sprung for the Blue Jays in Dunedin. Sportsnet is set to provide exclusive coverage of Spring Training action with a minimum of 10 games on Sportsnet and SN NOW throughout March, as the Blue Jays’ off-season additions look to mesh with the team’s young talent in advance of Opening Day. Action gets underway with Blue Jays vs. Yankees this Sunday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT on Sportsnet.

In an effort to minimize travel and closely adhere to team, league, and government protocols related to the pandemic, Sportsnet will be streamlining production for the 2021 season by simulcasting TV broadcasts on Sportsnet 590 The FAN and across the Sportsnet Radio Network. Blue Jays fans can now enjoy the legendary voices of Buck Martinez, Dan Shulman, and Pat Tabler on both TV and radio. Ben Wagner remains part of the Blue Jays on Sportsnet broadcast team, joining Jamie Campbell, Joe Siddall, Hazel Mae, and Arash Madani in covering all the bases throughout the season.

As Canada’s exclusive home of everything Blue Jays, Sportsnet delivers extensive coverage and analysis of all regular season games, beginning with Opening Day on April 1 against the “Bronx Bombers”, on Sportsnet, SN NOW, and the Sportsnet Radio Network.

2021 Blue Jays Spring Training on Sportsnet Broadcast Schedule

• Sunday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Friday, Mar. 12 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Pittsburgh – (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Monday, Mar. 15 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Detroit – (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Saturday, Mar. 20 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Sunday, Mar. 21 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – NY Yankees @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)

• Monday, Mar. 22 at 6:30 p.m. ET / 3:30 p.m. PT – Detroit @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)

• Wednesday, Mar. 24 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Saturday, Mar. 27 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)

• Sunday, Mar. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Detroit @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)

• Monday, Mar. 29 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)

*Schedule subject to change.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1009 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#1010 » by SharoneWright » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:43 pm

No Tabby!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#1011 » by Natural11 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 pm

SharoneWright wrote:No Tabby!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had nothing against his personality, but man that guy was the master of excuses. Any time someone would **** up, he'd go off on some tangent about bright sun, tricky shadows, turf seams, wind, humidity, late flights, you name it. Sometimes errors have legitimate reasons and overall, positivity is a good thing, but sometimes you have to call it like it is.

It's easier listening with Dan doing the play-by-play and Buck on commentary.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#1012 » by SharoneWright » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:04 am

Natural11 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:No Tabby!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had nothing against his personality, but man that guy was the master of excuses. Any time someone would **** up, he'd go off on some tangent about bright sun, tricky shadows, turf seams, wind, humidity, late flights, you name it. Sometimes errors have legitimate reasons and overall, positivity is a good thing, but sometimes you have to call it like it is.

ALL Tabby could do was repeat Buck's words back to him in a different order. That was the extent of his "analysis".

Buck: Ryu's really got his change up working tonight. It's been very deceptive.

Tabby: He normally has a very deceptive change up. And tonight he's really got it working more than usual.

Buck: Grickuk really seemed to hesitate on that fly ball. Looks he got a bad break off the bat.

Tabby: It seemed he didn't see the ball off the bat. You'll notice how he hesitates and gets a bad break on it.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And as much as I respect Siddall as a man and recognize the hell he's gone through,, it will be a mental relief not to have to watch him enunciate every single word as if he's a lip reading instructor.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,415

Post#1013 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:34 am

Feel badly for all involved, especially Wagner and Siddall who both do a good job.

More Dan and Buck is a good thing - we're lucky to have them.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#1014 » by Cyrus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 am

Am I missing something, it says Tabby is part of the broadcast, with buck and Dan.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#1015 » by SharoneWright » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 am

Cyrus wrote:

Am I missing something, it says Tabby is part of the broadcast, with buck and Dan.

Ugh. :nonono: I got so excited, I forgot how to read!! And now I feel shame. :sigh:

Dreams dashed. Gonna be hard to recover. Carry on, Tabby.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#1016 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:27 am

Can't wait to hear some Tabby remarks about how soft and strong Semien's hands are.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#1017 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:31 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Feel badly for all involved, especially Wagner and Siddall who both do a good job.

I'm just wondering if having to call the game for a radio audience is gonna mess up the quality of the tv broadcast. Radio broadcast is generally way more descriptive. You have to do a much better job of painting the picture and constantly talk about the play by play.

One thing I loved about the Buck and Dan duo was their random tangents and fun facts convos that were detached from the actual game. Those convos are definitely be affected if Dan has to constantly talk about the play by play every moment to keep the radio listeners looped in.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1018 » by polo007 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter
The_Hater

Post#1019 » by The_Hater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 pm

Natural11 wrote:

Tabby has the terrible combination of having no stories and nothing unique to say and having a dreadfully boring delivery at the same time.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#1020 » by Parataxis » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:14 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Feel badly for all involved, especially Wagner and Siddall who both do a good job.

I'm just wondering if having to call the game for a radio audience is gonna mess up the quality of the tv broadcast. Radio broadcast is generally way more descriptive. You have to do a much better job of painting the picture and constantly talk about the play by play.

One thing I loved about the Buck and Dan duo was their random tangents and fun facts convos that were detached from the actual game. Those convos are definitely be affected if Dan has to constantly talk about the play by play every moment to keep the radio listeners looped in.

I just don't get it? I mean, yes, it costs money to make a radio broadcast, but can it possibly be that much money to make it worthwhile to downgrade the product? This seems extremely pennywise and dollar foolish.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays