ImageImageImageImageImage

General Blue Jays Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2020 

Post#1101 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu May 6, 2021 6:16 pm

Cyrus wrote:Springer expected to be on the IL longer than 10 days, oh brother lol.

Well considering it took him a month to come back the last time he hurt his quad and he wasn't even 100% when he did return, I'd imagine we won't be seeing him for at least another month or so.

This guy gonna be our new Donaldson?

That would actually be nice. We can only hope he'll be as good as Donaldson. JD was the MVP of the league and the best player on one of the best teams of the past couple of decades.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,471

Post#1102 » by Cyrus » Thu May 6, 2021 6:36 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Springer expected to be on the IL longer than 10 days, oh brother lol.

Well considering it took him a month to come back the last time he hurt his quad and he wasn't even 100% when he did return, I'd imagine we won't be seeing him for at least another month or so.

This guy gonna be our new Donaldson?

That would actually be nice. We can only hope he'll be as good as Donaldson. JD was the MVP of the league and the best player on one of the best teams of the past couple of decades.

But in the last 2 years he was constantly hurt. OR fine our new Travis? I'm not talking about either guys production, just not a good start to your huge contract, and is on and off hurt. Played 3 games in 1 month.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#1103 » by Parataxis » Thu May 6, 2021 8:47 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Does anybody know what the MLB record for homeruns in different parks in one season is?

With the Jays potentially having home stands in three different parks this season, that seems a record ripe for the plucking.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#1104 » by polo007 » Thu May 6, 2021 9:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#1105 » by Schad » Thu May 6, 2021 9:55 pm

Parataxis wrote:Does anybody know what the MLB record for homeruns in different parks in one season is?

With the Jays potentially having home stands in three different parks this season, that seems a record ripe for the plucking.

I'd imagine that the max would be 20 in a regular year: all 15 parks in your own league, plus 5 in interleague, and a quick check shows that has been done (first team I looked at was the 2019 Yankees, and they hit homers in every park in which they played).
**** your asterisk.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#1106 » by Parataxis » Thu May 6, 2021 10:27 pm

Schad wrote:
Parataxis wrote:Does anybody know what the MLB record for homeruns in different parks in one season is?

I'd imagine that the max would be 20 in a regular year: all 15 parks in your own league, plus 5 in interleague, and a quick check shows that has been done (first team I looked at was the 2019 Yankees, and they hit homers in every park in which they played).

I was thinking more of single player rather than a team, but that's good to know, thanks!

Jays have a chance to grab 22 this year. =)
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#1107 » by Metallikid » Fri May 7, 2021 12:52 am

Randal Grichuk is on pace for 130 RBI
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1108 » by Schad » Fri May 7, 2021 4:25 am

Metallikid wrote:Randal Grichuk is on pace for 130 RBI

Hitting behind Vlad is RBI manna from heaven, but Grichuk has certainly cemented his place in the lineup. I've basically done a 180 on him: I really wasn't fond of Grichuk when we traded for him, and grudgingly accepted the extension, but he's a far different (and better) player the past two years. He was an exit velocity darling that has actually gotten better while his EV has declined (mildly) by becoming an all-fields hitter with pull-side power who puts the ball in play. Did not see that coming.

The all-fields thing is a bit nuts. Grichuk always recorded a fair number of hits to the opposite field, but he was very pull-heavy overall: Statcast had him at between 42-47.2% pull-side every year of his career. This year? 24.4%. DJ LeMahieu is pulling the ball more than that this season! Fangraphs (which uses slightly different metrics) has him in the bottom five in all of baseball in percentage of balls in play hit pull-side. In 2019, he was in the top twenty.
**** your asterisk.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#1109 » by Metallikid » Fri May 7, 2021 4:59 am

Schad wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Randal Grichuk is on pace for 130 RBI

Hitting behind Vlad is RBI manna from heaven, but Grichuk has certainly cemented his place in the lineup. I've basically done a 180 on him: I really wasn't fond of Grichuk when we traded for him, and grudgingly accepted the extension, but he's a far different (and better) player the past two years. He was an exit velocity darling that has actually gotten better while his EV has declined (mildly) by becoming an all-fields hitter with pull-side power who puts the ball in play. Did not see that coming.

The all-fields thing is a bit nuts. Grichuk always recorded a fair number of hits to the opposite field, but he was very pull-heavy overall: Statcast had him at between 42-47.2% pull-side every year of his career. This year? 24.4%. DJ LeMahieu is pulling the ball more than that this season! Fangraphs (which uses slightly different metrics) has him in the bottom five in all of baseball in percentage of balls in play hit pull-side. In 2019, he was in the top twenty.

Some players are clearly starting to put concerted effort into busting up these shifts.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1110 » by The_Hater » Fri May 7, 2021 5:50 pm

So many people wanted to trade Grichuk during the winter. Glad to see that management viewed him as more valuable to the Jays then as a trade chip who might bring in a mediocre pitcher. Our pitching depth is in better shape then our position player depth this season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1111 » by polo007 » Sat May 8, 2021 12:21 am

Read on Twitter
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#1112 » by Parataxis » Sat May 8, 2021 2:08 am

I lolled.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
polo007
General Manager

Post#1113 » by polo007 » Sun May 9, 2021 1:41 am

The Blue Jays’ education on winning has included a sit-down with TFC captain Michael Bradley | The Star

“What I took away from it most as an athlete is the importance of being a good teammate,” Biggio said. “You can tell that he’s had a very good career and that he values being a good teammate over a lot of things.”

The four athletes, joined only by a translator for Guerrero, spoke for about an hour. It was the first time Bradley has had a chance to sit down with other Toronto athletes in such a way.

“You’re always trying to take the experiences that you have and draw on them and reflect on them and think to yourself, ‘What’s similar here? What are they going through? What challenges have they faced that now may be similar to something that I may see?’ ” Bradley said.

One of Bradley’s key experiences was bringing a championship home. He wanted Guerrero, Bichette and Biggio to know what it is like to be a winner in the city. So he shared two stories that, to this day, give him goose bumps.

One was of a night shortly after Bradley arrived in Toronto, before he won anything, when he learned firsthand the kind of legacy winning in the city can leave. During a timeout early at a Raptors game, someone on the screen caused a deafening roar that caught Bradley’s attention. That someone? Joe Carter.

“At that point it was like, ‘S---, it’s 2014’ … A lot of the people in the arena that night weren’t even alive when he hit that home run (to win the 1993 World Series) but here we are … he’s at a Raptors game and he’s getting that reception,” Bradley said. “It was this moment where you realized to yourself, man, this city is different and if you can win in this city, then the pride and the respect, it never goes away.”

He got a similar reminder a little more than a year later when TFC clinched its first playoff spot in franchise history hours after Jose Bautista produced his iconic bat flip down the street at Rogers Centre.

“I joked, half-joked, because I swear, when he hit the home run you could hear the roar at BMO,” Bradley said. “It was another little reminder for me at that point, another little way to try to tell these guys, ‘There is not a better sports city in the world than Toronto.’ Yes, it’s going to take time and, yes, it’s going to take sacrifice and effort and there’s going to be pain and heartbreak and work along the way, but if you can do it here it is special.”

The three Jays later told Shapiro what a powerful interaction meeting Bradley was, he said.

They weren’t the only ones who left inspired.

“Those guys are younger than me but in a lot ways I’m a fan of theirs and I look up to them,” Bradley said. “Their energy and just motivation was so clear to see. Their desire to establish themselves as really big-time players for the Blue Jays and to help the Blue Jays now win again, that was so apparent."

“As an athlete, as a competitor, just being around other guys who have that motivation, who you can see that in their eye, not only is that exciting but that’s motivating for you as well.”
polo007
General Manager

Post#1114 » by polo007 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1115 » by The_Hater » Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 pm

The Jays are going to have a difficult time staying in the race with the injuries continuing to pile up, at some point you’re just trying to compete with far too many minor leaguers and fringe MLB quality players. And contrary to the belief of a few fans around here, you can’t just go out and add a few quality MLB players to replace them. It just doesn’t work that way.

If they can hover around .500 for the next 5-6 weeks, that needs to be considered a huge win here. That will leave a playoff spot within striking distance
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1116 » by polo007 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,566

Post#1117 » by Fairview4Life » Tue May 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Have they thought about asking Alex McKechnie for some help?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#1118 » by Raider917 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 pm

what could bichette get in a deal
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1119 » by Schad » Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 pm

Hard to say. Really, there are some red flags with Bo this year: beyond the errors (which I'd still expect to sort out), his K-BB is abysmal and his GB% has skyrocketed. I'd imagine that you would be looking at something in the $90m/6 range to buy out his final pre-arb season, three years of arb and two years of FA*, but I'm not sure which party would be unnerved the most by that.

*That would break down to roughly $500k for next year, $8/$13.5/$18m for his arb years and $25/$25m for his FA years, which doesn't seem unreasonable.
**** your asterisk.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Post#1120 » by bluerap23 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Schad wrote:Hard to say. Really, there are some red flags with Bo this year: beyond the errors (which I'd still expect to sort out), his K-BB is abysmal and his GB% has skyrocketed. I'd imagine that you would be looking at something in the $90m/6 range to buy out his final pre-arb season, three years of arb and two years of FA*, but I'm not sure which party would be unnerved the most by that.

*That would break down to roughly $500k for next year, $8/$13.5/$18m for his arb years and $25/$25m for his FA years, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Seems pretty risky for the organization at this point.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays