ImageImageImageImageImage

General Blue Jays Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2020 

Post#181 » by polo007 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:35 am

Atkins reflects on unusual 2020 season for Blue Jays team that surprisingly made playoffs | CP24.com

With so much uncertainty ahead, Ross Atkins plans to focus on things he can control.

“The best way for us to recover and to be ready for when fans are coming back into the stadium and really maximize that is to continue to build a winning team,” he said. “So investing in players, investing in infrastructure is the best way in our view to do that, so that's how we're approaching it.”

Speaking on an end-of-season media conference call Friday afternoon, Atkins did not reveal details on the team's budget but stressed his focus will be on complementing the team's young nucleus of players.

“We're thinking about how we can continue to build on this team and to build on this core,” he said. “The quickest way to recovery is winning. The quickest way to getting our business back to a very good financial spot is winning."

“Our ownership knows that, (president) Mark (Shapiro) has had multiple interactions and they're ongoing and continuing. We're aligned on that front.”

The Blue Jays finished the truncated season with a 32-28 record, a significant improvement from a 67-95 mark a year earlier.

Toronto earned the eighth seed in the expanded post-season structure but was swept by the top-seeded Tampa Bay Rays in two games earlier this week.

That experience of a September stretch drive and brief playoff appearance will no doubt serve as a positive building block for the Blue Jays' future.

“I feel like we're in a very good position and I'm very excited about the progress that (was) made this year,” Atkins said.
polo007
General Manager

Post#182 » by polo007 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:59 am

Read on Twitter
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Post#183 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:45 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Borucki is done as a starter then. Makes sense after the strikeout numbers he posted in relief.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,413

Post#184 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm really interested in their rationale as to how Merryweather can still be a starter but Borucki cannot. Borucki actually has a really promising ~100IP season as a starter in the majors, and a quality minor league track record. Meanwhile Merryweather has 13 major league innings pitched to his name, and only 19 innings total over the last three years.

To me it certainly appears like they're wasting a potentially huge asset in Borucki in the bullpen. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#185 » by vaff87 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:42 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:I'm really interested in their rationale as to how Merryweather can still be a starter but Borucki cannot. Borucki actually has a really promising ~100IP season as a starter in the majors, and a quality minor league track record. Meanwhile Merryweather has 13 major league innings pitched to his name, and only 19 innings total over the last three years.

To me it certainly appears like they're wasting a potentially huge asset in Borucki in the bullpen. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Keep in mind that starters only go like four innings these days, and relievers often go multiple innings. Unless you’re an elite starter, the value between starters and relievers seems to be narrowing.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#186 » by Natural11 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:18 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:I'm really interested in their rationale as to how Merryweather can still be a starter but Borucki cannot. Borucki actually has a really promising ~100IP season as a starter in the majors, and a quality minor league track record. Meanwhile Merryweather has 13 major league innings pitched to his name, and only 19 innings total over the last three years.

Yeah Kay over Borucki is another puzzling move. Maybe there's some behind the scenes rationale for the Borucki decision. Typically if a SP has just one decent season over the past 7-8 years, that's enough for Shatkins to give them a shot.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#187 » by wamco » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:16 pm

Merryweather is out of options . Last chance to see if he can stick.

Shaw quietly put up an 821 ops in September. 600 in august. Ended up 95 ops+. I’d stick with him next year as he is a free agent after that. Should be a league average 3bman on offense and defense but needs hidden from the best lefties. Aligns up well with Martin and Groshans progression. Arbitration got him 4m this year so 6 next year?
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#188 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:14 pm

Ryu wasn't a 1 year contract was he!??!?! That's not our starting rotation is it??!

What's our starting rotation look like now? Please & thanks.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#189 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:28 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Ryu wasn't a 1 year contract was he!??!?! That's not our starting rotation is it??!

What's our starting rotation look like now? Please & thanks.

The list posted earlier was just about some of the guys with question marks. Ryu’s under contract.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#190 » by Metallikid » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:42 am

vaff87 wrote:

Keep in mind that starters only go like four innings these days, and relievers often go multiple innings. Unless you’re an elite starter, the value between starters and relievers seems to be narrowing.

This four inning thing is really not enjoyable to watch. It's one thing if they get shelled and we need to try to salvage a game but proactively taking out a pitcher who is pitching well isn't fun and baseball seriously needs to be more fun if they want to stay popular.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#191 » by Trilogy » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm fine with all those role decisions except for Borucki. It's not even really like you can justify it because of injury because Merryweather is on the SP list.

Borucki had a very good changeup before his injury. This year he came back with a nasty cutter/slider. He also has a pretty reasonable fastball. He seems like he has a lot of potential upside to be a starter if he pieces all of it together.
carnage24
Junior
And1: 470

Post#192 » by carnage24 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:04 pm

Merryweathers injury history is a bit concerning. I really hope we get better starting pitching. Playing the red sox and orioles made the pitching staff look good this season

In reality, a 162 game season this team is not even good
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#193 » by dagger » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:44 pm

carnage24 wrote:Merryweathers injury history is a bit concerning. I really hope we get better starting pitching. Playing the red sox and orioles made the pitching staff look good this season

This pitching staff is concerning, but if Shoemaker and perhaps Walker were re-signed - Walker would be a bit of an overpay IMO - then with Pearson and Ryu, you'd have something of a foundation. The problem with the coming free agency is that the pitching available is terrible. You either take an expensive flyer on Trevor Bauer, or start dropping down fast. Second best rated pitcher is old friend Marcus Stroman. The trade market might be a better bet, but be ready to give up at least one A-list prospect there and be thankful if there is even one additional season of control coming in.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#194 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm really not sold on Pearson at all as a starter. He could very well be a great one someday, but just wouldn't count on him for next season. Feels like he still needs more development. Giving him a shot as a no.4-5 guy next year is fine, but I really hope we don't go into next season expecting huge contributions from him. Definitely need to pick up an impact starter from outside.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#195 » by dagger » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:12 pm

dagger wrote:
carnage24 wrote:Merryweathers injury history is a bit concerning. I really hope we get better starting pitching. Playing the red sox and orioles made the pitching staff look good this season

This pitching staff is concerning, but if Shoemaker and perhaps Walker were re-signed - Walker would be a bit of an overpay IMO - then with Pearson and Ryu, you'd have something of a foundation. The problem with the coming free agency is that the pitching available is terrible. You either take an expensive flyer on Trevor Bauer, and from there it drops down fast in quality. Second best rated pitcher is old friend Marcus Stroman. The trade market might be a better bet, but be ready to give up at least one A-list prospect there and be thankful if there is even one additional season of control coming in.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#196 » by vaff87 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:58 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:I'm really not sold on Pearson at all as a starter. He could very well be a great one someday, but just wouldn't count on him for next season. Feels like he still needs more development. Giving him a shot as a no.4-5 guy next year is fine, but I really hope we don't go into next season expecting huge contributions from him. Definitely need to pick up an impact starter from outside.

I think their philosophy seems to be what you’re suggesting. Hence, why we did sign “established” guys like Roark and Anderson last offseason, instead of simply hoping for the best from young guys. Having said that, I don’t think we can really judge Pearson on his starts so far, especially given his injury.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#197 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:48 pm

vaff87 wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:I'm really not sold on Pearson at all as a starter. He could very well be a great one someday, but just wouldn't count on him for next season. Feels like he still needs more development. Giving him a shot as a no.4-5 guy next year is fine, but I really hope we don't go into next season expecting huge contributions from him. Definitely need to pick up an impact starter from outside.

I think their philosophy seems to be what you’re suggesting. Hence, why we did sign “established” guys like Roark and Anderson last offseason, instead of simply hoping for the best from young guys. Having said that, I don’t think we can really judge Pearson on his starts so far, especially given his injury.

Yeah fair enough. But I'd definitely be more confident in Pearson going into next season if he had strung a few good starts before his injury. Unfortunately, it just didn't seem like his control was there. In an ideal world, he should've started the season in the minors this year and been a candidate for a mid-late season callup.
polo007
General Manager

Post#198 » by polo007 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:39 pm

polo007
General Manager

Post#199 » by polo007 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#200 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm

This is probably the most "Daniel Jansen" anyone has ever looked.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays