Post#401 » by polo007 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:49 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Re: General Blue Jays Thread, 2020 

Post#402 » by polo007 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Bold, aggressive Blue Jays ready to pounce on high-end off season moves | Toronto Sun

As much as it can be before a significant transaction has been made, the off-season already has been a productive one for the Jays. They’ve been bold in their intent, aggressive in their pursuit and poised to act, be it through free agency or trade.
Bold, aggressive Blue Jays ready to pounce on high-end off season moves

“We’ve learned a great deal where teams stand,” Jays general manager Ross Atkins said on Zoom during the Toronto chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America’s annual meeting. “We’ve learned a great deal from free agents. We feel as though they have learned where we are on certain opportunities."

“It doesn’t take much at this point for a deal to happen.”

Who, when and how much it will cost remain the prime questions, but the not-so-quiet sense around the baseball world is that the Jays are determined to make significant moves. And at the very least, as it relates to other teams, they have been at the forefront in their pursuits.

During a recent Zoom presentation to Houston Astros’ free-agent outfielder George Springer (and likely others), for example, the Jays tapped into the marketing and scouting department to help sell themselves. As is customary, current Jays players are recruited as necessary to articulate what is going on in the clubhouse. In the case of Springer, specifically Cavan Biggio, who lives in Houston during the off-season, has been a vocal recruiter.

To the talk-is-cheap crowd, none of this may seem like much and ultimately it may not matter. But to dismiss their efforts would be to underestimate the traction the Jays have made on the field and off. The progress is recognized by agents and those they represent, especially in what, thus far, has been a slow-moving off season.

“Our professional scouting department, along with our marketing department, has done an incredible job of marketing this city and this country and this organization with a video,” Atkins said.

“It depends on the individual and trying to shape it for the individual, but (the presentation is aimed at) what would be important to them and how we can best represent the Toronto Blue Jays.”
polo007
General Manager

Post#403 » by polo007 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:43 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#404 » by polo007 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:19 am

Rosenthal: Blue Jays likely to overpay for prized free agent | Tim & Sid

3:03 | December 4, 2020

Ken Rosenthal expects the Blue Jays to sign one or more big named free agents, but will likely pay a premium for players like George Springer and JT Realmuto.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#405 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:22 am

Interesting to see the Jays mentioned in connection with high priced vets - doesn't really seem like Shapkins' MO. They must feel that the team is on the cusp of 90+ win territory.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
polo007
General Manager

Post#406 » by polo007 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:25 am

Atkins: Blue Jays speak with Springer's agency 'at least once a week' - Sportsnet.ca

The Toronto Blue Jays are seemingly attached to every big name on the free-agent market, from George Springer to Jake Odorizzi to Michael Brantley, and now we might know why.

According to Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins, the team speaks with Excel Sports Management -- the group that represents those three players, as well as Masahiro Tanaka, Taijuan Walker, Didi Gregorius and others -- "at least once a week."

"Like any other agency that's representing, they have several free agents," Atkins said, staying vague, when asked how often he speaks to Springer's agency during an interview on Tim and Sid Thursday. "(Excel) have a pretty good group of free agents this year so we've had pretty consistent contact with that group."

While any of those players would be a significant upgrade for the Jays, the team does have familiarity with one of them, Walker, who was acquired by Toronto at the trade deadline and pitched well down the stretch as the team secured a playoff spot.

Walker told Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith in October that he would be open to a reunion. But when asked about that relationship Thursday, Atkins declined to tip his hand on any of the pitchers on the open market.

"Taijuan's a free agent; there are many free agent pitchers that we're talking to and will continue to," Atkins said. "Anyone of that calibre, we certainly want to understand where they are, what their interest level might be with us. We'll continue to canvas that market for sure."
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#407 » by Natural11 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 4:10 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Interesting to see the Jays mentioned in connection with high priced vets - doesn't really seem like Shapkins' MO. They must feel that the team is on the cusp of 90+ win territory.

It feels like now might be the time. We won't be paying these kids peanuts for long, so this seems like an opportune time for pay to win.
polo007
General Manager

Post#408 » by polo007 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 2:47 am

Mets in mix for Jake Odorizzi as pitching market heats up - New York Post

In a slow-moving free agent market, the one item in which there has been some action and traction is with starting pitching.

The Mets are active in this arena and one pitcher they have expressed interest in is Jake Odorizzi. But the righty is believed to be much more engaged with other teams right now.

The clubs that are considered the most aggressive in the starting pitching market are the Angels, Blue Jays, Giants, Padres, Rays, Red Sox and White Sox. The Twins also are looking at rotation help and are in play to keep Odorizzi.
The Reds are also inquiring about starters even as they are working hard to trade Sonny Gray, who has two years at $20 million left on his contract.

The Yankees have surprised agents by how docile they have been on the starting pitching front.

The Mets’ strongest interest this offseason seems to be on George Springer and Trevor Bauer. It is possible they are planning to make just one substantial purchase. So, for example, if Springer signed elsewhere with say the Blue Jays or White Sox, they would hone in on Bauer. But if they could land Springer that could motivate them to augment in the rotation with pitchers such as Odorizzi and/or Masahiro Tanaka.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,054

Post#409 » by rarefind » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:43 pm

What am I not getting here? Trading for Lindor and paying a premium seems like really, really bad move. Including Gurriel is a bad move.

If we want him so bad we can wait til he hits free agency.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#410 » by vaff87 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:57 pm

rarefind wrote:What am I not getting here? Trading for Lindor and paying a premium seems like really, really bad move. Including Gurriel is a bad move.

What am I not getting? Where is this post/specific rumour even coming from?
rarefind
RealGM

Post#411 » by rarefind » Sun Dec 6, 2020 8:00 pm

vaff87 wrote:
rarefind wrote:What am I not getting here? Trading for Lindor and paying a premium seems like really, really bad move. Including Gurriel is a bad move.

Its a meh source but it triggered me.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2065275
vaff87
RealGM

Post#412 » by vaff87 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:08 pm

rarefind wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

I’d love to have Lindor, but only under certain circumstances. For starters, I’d only trade for him if an extension is worked out beforehand. And there are several guys I wouldn’t be willing to trade, obviously.
polo007
General Manager

Post#413 » by polo007 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#414 » by dagger » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:39 am

rarefind wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

Terry Pluto is the leading sports columnist in Cleveland, and there is a reason he has this report. I can’t make up my mind who is pushing the agenda and to what end, but he is no meh source.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,462

Post#415 » by Brinbe » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:15 am

Lindor is an excellent player but any deal is obviously contingent on an extension. And we have the prospect depth and payroll flexibility to get it done. Add a springer on top of that too. But if we're going in, we still need more starting pitching and to shore up the bullpen.
polo007
General Manager

Post#416 » by polo007 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#417 » by polo007 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter
vaff87
RealGM

Post#418 » by vaff87 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:24 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m pretty sure the Jays are just literally getting thrown into every rumour at this point.
rarefind
RealGM

Post#419 » by rarefind » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:28 pm

dagger wrote:
rarefind wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

Terry Pluto is the leading sports columnist in Cleveland, and there is a reason he has this report. I can’t make up my mind who is pushing the agenda and to what end, but he is no meh source.

Well yes, but again... Terry Pluto can mention players by name that Cleveland wants. This isn't a National guy speaking to players our front office are willing to dangle in this deal.

Not like we have a local guy with a great track record of reporting on which way the wind is blowing. If Ken Rosenthal for example, was reporting that the Jays were willing to move Gurriel etc. then I'd feel a whole lot different about the legitimacy of what is being said and where it is coming from.

To your point, this just seems like a report perpetuating an agenda. Cleveland could want Mike Trout for Lindor, they're not going to get him though.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#420 » by vaff87 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:59 pm

rarefind wrote:
dagger wrote:
rarefind wrote:

Well yes, but again... Terry Pluto can mention players by name that Cleveland wants. This isn't a National guy speaking to players our front office are willing to dangle in this deal.

Not like we have a local guy with a great track record of reporting on which way the wind is blowing. If Ken Rosenthal for example, was reporting that the Jays were willing to move Gurriel etc. then I'd feel a whole lot different about the legitimacy of what is being said and where it is coming from.

To your point, this just seems like a report perpetuating an agenda. Cleveland could want Mike Trout for Lindor, they're not going to get him though.

Not saying you’re wrong, but Terry Pluto probably has a relationship with Shatkins from their time in Cleveland, too.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays