Toronto Blue Jays (26-20) @ New York Yankees (26-21) Sep. 15th - 17th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: Toronto Blue Jays (26-20) @ New York Yankees (26-21) Sep. 15th - 17th 

Post#41 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 am

Trilogy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:I think they are going to have to play Biggio in RF and plug Villar and Panik into the lineup everyday (Davis against LHP) until Hernandez gets back. Fisher hasn't gotten any better defensively, and the team can't afford to play an outfielder that is afraid to catch the ball.

Fisher has no options and has some interesting hitting indicators (high exit velocity, above average eye) but I do think it's probably time to cut bait on him. The front office cobbled a bunch of these low contact/high power guys together but with Teoscar and Tellez looking good this year waiting on Fisher potentially putting it together doesn't really seem worth it at this point.

Biggio should play right until Teoscar is back and Jonathan Davis is honestly pretty solid as a defensive/speed 4th OF and should play a decent amount right now too. I'm a little confused why he's plays a corner when he plays with Grichuk. They should really shift Davis to CF in those games. In the small sample size he's been in the majors he's been very good defensively in CF. Grichuk is good in a corner but below average to average in CF.

Agreed on both points. Davis needs to be playing CF when he’s in the lineup, although he’s a defensive upgrade regardless wherever he plays. He has an ideal 4th outfielder skill set and I hope he stays on the team the rest of the season.

Fisher has some interesting offensive potential but if he can’t be counted on to catch a fly ball then I’m not sure how much value he has. On a rebuilding team you plug him at DH and hope he hits. On a team that is looking at a playoff spot, he’s a tough player to even have on the roster. Once Hernandez gets back he might be the odd man out, and it would be justified.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#42 » by Schad » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 am

I agree, it's time to cut bait on Fisher. One of the reasons he was worth a flier is that he projected to be a decent-enough OF whose speed might even allow him to play an acceptable (though not good) CF. The odds of him hitting enough to be a DH type are low, and we have so very many DH types who are better.
**** your asterisk.
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 186

Post#43 » by PowerPlant1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 am

I am more inclined than others for some reason to forgive one missed fly ball. Got to assess the overall contribution of a player. At least some offense in a backup OF works on this team.

Yes, I'd rather give J Davis a chance but I think people are scapegoating one recently missed fly ball. Yes, it should have been caught but bad pitching was a much greater factor in the 20 to 6 loss than any one missed fly ball could ever have been.

How many times are errors committed but they don't necessarily lead to disaster? It only leads to disaster if other things are going wrong and Fisher is not responsible for the bad pitching.

Now if someone has been bad all season, I'm more inclined to be less forgiving: i.e. Tanner Roark.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#44 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am

We'll be lucky if we win one of these last seven games against the Yankees.

So much for the playoffs...
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#45 » by SharoneWright » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 am

Metallikid wrote:We'll be lucky if we win one of these last seven games against the Yankees.

I find it funny that the Jays bought Walker from the Mariners for their playoff push. Mariners were sellers. And soon, the M's will be breathing down our neck.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,322

Post#46 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 am

Metallikid wrote:We'll be lucky if we win one of these last seven games against the Yankees.

The Jays could honestly lose every game remaining to the Yankees (and it’s possible, they are way better than us) and still make it right now.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#47 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:25 am

Schad wrote:I agree, it's time to cut bait on Fisher. One of the reasons he was worth a flier is that he projected to be a decent-enough OF whose speed might even allow him to play an acceptable (though not good) CF. The odds of him hitting enough to be a DH type are low, and we have so very many DH types who are better.

Making up a fake injury to keep him around was the route they chose. Can’t complain.
carnage24
Junior
And1: 470

Post#48 » by carnage24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:29 am

this is brutal...
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#49 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

The Jays could honestly lose every game remaining to the Yankees (and it’s possible, they are way better than us) and still make it right now.

So we can get destroyed by the Rays or worse, the Yankees themselves?

At least against the Twins or Indians we could maybe win a playoff game.

Just so frustrating we were playing good baseball being very tenacious and one bad start to a game and it looks like we're not even a .500 ballclub.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#50 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 am

Metallikid wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Just so frustrating we were playing good baseball being very tenacious and one bad start to a game and it looks like we're not even a .500 ballclub.

They were playing “good baseball” because they we weren’t playing teams as good as the Yankees. They’ve always been an incredibly flawed .500 team. That’s enough to make the playoffs in this league right now. What happens when they get there likely won’t be good, no, but crazier things have happened in baseball than this Blue Jays team winning a few games.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#51 » by TR50 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 am

I always looked at today as a scheduled loss.

Ain't even mad.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#52 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays could honestly lose every game remaining to the Yankees (and it’s possible, they are way better than us) and still make it right now.

They were playing “good baseball” because they we weren’t playing teams as good as the Yankees. They’ve always been an incredibly flawed .500 team. That’s enough to make the playoffs in this league right now. What happens when they get there likely won’t be good, no, but crazier things have happened in baseball than this Blue Jays team winning a few games.

So what are we missing then? The entire time I've watched Jays games we have never once had the pitching and hitting both be good at the same time except for that miraculous run to close out the season in 2015 and that took trading for David Price. And when both are doing okay simultaneously the defense is a disaster. Pretty sure our only chance to ever be good is to pony up and pay some **** free agents already. Like go steal DJ Lemahieu and Tanaka from our division rival kind of spending. As it is half of our bullpen are going to be free agents and we'll need to get them back.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 am

TR50 wrote:I always looked at today as a scheduled loss.

Ain't even mad.

Tomorrow’s kind of looks that way too.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#54 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:43 am

Metallikid wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

So what are we missing then? The entire time I've watched Jays games we have never once had the pitching and hitting both be good at the same time except for that miraculous run to close out the season in 2015 and that took trading for David Price. And when both are doing okay simultaneously the defense is a disaster. Pretty sure our only chance to ever be good is to pony up and pay some **** free agents already. Like go steal DJ Lemahieu and Tanaka from our division rival kind of spending.

They are missing good players because the Jays weren’t trying to win coming into this year. They’re only in a playoff position because it’s a 60 game season and they have 8 playoff spots.

They’ll have to eventually spend more money to improve some of their holes if they are want to really compete.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#55 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:45 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

So what are we missing then? The entire time I've watched Jays games we have never once had the pitching and hitting both be good at the same time except for that miraculous run to close out the season in 2015 and that took trading for David Price. And when both are doing okay simultaneously the defense is a disaster. Pretty sure our only chance to ever be good is to pony up and pay some **** free agents already. Like go steal DJ Lemahieu and Tanaka from our division rival kind of spending.

They are missing good players because the Jays weren’t trying to win coming into this year. They’re only in a playoff position because it’s a 60 game season and they have 8 playoff spots.

They’ll have to eventually spend more money to improve some of their holes if they are want to really compete.

Okay so if you could upgrade three positions to get us into the real playoffs what would it be or who would it be?
TR50
General Manager

Post#56 » by TR50 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
TR50 wrote:I always looked at today as a scheduled loss.

Ain't even mad.

The next little while kind of looks that way too.

Fixed? :wink:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#57 » by Schad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:55 am

I'd expect us to be fairly aggressive in the offseason. This has been a good proof-of-concept year, and it's pretty clear that we have a good offense with a couple holes and a deep collection of live arms that needs another frontline starter or two. And we ought to have the resources to get such.
**** your asterisk.
TR50
General Manager

Post#58 » by TR50 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:06 am

Schad wrote:I'd expect us to be fairly aggressive in the offseason. This has been a good proof-of-concept year, and it's pretty clear that we have a good offense with a couple holes and a deep collection of live arms that needs another frontline starter or two. And we ought to have the resources to get such.

Any realistic targets you could see for next year?
carnage24
Junior
And1: 470

Post#59 » by carnage24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 am

you gotta be kidding me
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#60 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 am

Metallikid wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Okay so if you could upgrade three positions to get us into the real playoffs what would it be or who would it be?

Pitcher, pitcher and pitcher.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays