ImageImageImageImageImage

Ross Atkins signs 5 yr Extension

Moderator: JaysRule15

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,447

Ross Atkins signs 5 yr Extension 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:53 pm

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-sign-gm-ross-atkins-five-year-contract-extension/

The Toronto Blue Jays continue to lock in their senior leadership, announcing a five-year extension for general manager Ross Atkins on Wednesday.

The move was hinted at by Mark Shapiro in an interview with Sportsnet last month, and puts Atkins in place contractually through the 2026 season, one year beyond the term of the club president and CEO.

On the heels of manager Charlie Montoyo also having his club option for 2022 being picked up, three of the organization’s pivotal leadership positions have been stabilized in recent months. Shapiro signed a five-year extension through 2025 back in January.

“I obviously feel extremely happy about and proud of the job he's done in building out infrastructure and, most importantly probably, acquiring and developing talent, and leading the baseball organization,” Shapiro said of Atkins last month. “I see Ross as part of a long-term future here and want him to be here, and that's shared at the ownership level.”

“If you look at the most successful sports franchises, there are ones that react year-to-year, season-to-season on fast cycles and they're kind of perpetually spinning,” said Shapiro. “The ones that have the strength and resilience to stick with some stability and continuity, even through the down times, gives those people the ability to make adjustments because things rarely go the way that you think they're going to go. Continuity gives you the ability to course-adjust and to adapt a plan, because a plan will almost certainly have to be adapted and adjusted.

“When you turn it over, it just takes so much time to deal with a new style, a new set of values and new leadership expectations, building trust back again,” he continued. “If you look at the Pittsburgh Steelers, if you look at the San Antonio Spurs, New England Patriots, there's usually a lot of stability at the top. That's a very difficult model to maintain in professional sports, where emotion and momentum factors into so many decisions. But if you have the strength to do it, it usually is a benefit.”
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Ross Atkins signs 5 yr Extension 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:58 pm

The trolls haven’t been around since before the off-season spending spree so I don’t expect much negative reaction to this.

We have a smart management team in place, hopefully they’ll be around for awhile.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#3 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:47 pm

nice. i think its a good move. no brainer. he put this all together, lets see what he can do with it moving forward
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#4 » by polo007 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#5 » by ratul » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 am

Anytime you can lock in a losing executive team for five year after sucking for the past five years, you have to do it no?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,632

Post#6 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm

ratul wrote:Anytime you can lock in a losing executive team for five year after sucking for the past five years, you have to do it no?

Remember how the Blue Jays made the playoffs 40% of the years he has been the GM? I'm so happy you can't respond to this.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 pm

ratul wrote:Anytime you can lock in a losing executive team for five year after sucking for the past five years, you have to do it no?

Since this was your last post on this forum, good to see you keep up with tradition and made it every bit as useless as all the others. No sense in writing semi-useful posts at this late stage.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays