ImageImageImageImageImage

BJs (16-14) @ Trashstros (16-15) - May 7-9

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: BJs (16-14) @ Trashstros (16-15) - May 7-9 

Post#141 » by dagger » Sun May 9, 2021 8:16 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:I just think the Jays are running out of options to throw extended innings in the majors right now and saw Pearson as one of the few available options in the organization to do so today. With him changing his mechanics around, I'm not sure they would have done this so soon without all the injuries.

That feels about right, they don't have anyone else on the 40 man roster who they can promote, and with three or four pitchers now on the 60-day DL but not out for the season, they have to consider whom they would dump - trade or DFA - to open up a roster spots when those guys are reinstated. The five catcher thing on the 40 man roster is a bit of an obstacle, because two of the five - Riley and Moreno - have prospect value but need to play a lot, so they aren't the temporary solution for Kirk's absence. I can't see anyone aside from Manoah as a starter I might promote, and I am against promoting him in a panic move. If he comes up before August or September, I want him to force the decision.

As for Pearson, in my uneducated opinion, he's a year away. He seems like the kind of high end prospect who needs a lot of minor league innings to toughen his skin. I didn't like his body language today, both on the field and between innings in the dugout where he was pacing around like he was totally askew mentally, not in control at all of his emotions. That's very concerning at this stage, and why I feel he has to add confidence through minor league experience. Manoah on the other hand sounds like a supremely confident type, almost egotistically so, and that kind of self-belief never hurts with a high end athlete, it's what makes many of the good ones even better.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,334

Post#142 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 9, 2021 8:58 pm

dagger wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:I just think the Jays are running out of options to throw extended innings in the majors right now and saw Pearson as one of the few available options in the organization to do so today. With him changing his mechanics around, I'm not sure they would have done this so soon without all the injuries.

That feels about right, they don't have anyone else on the 40 man roster who they can promote, and with three or four pitchers now on the 60-day DL but not out for the season, they have to consider whom they would dump - trade or DFA - to open up a roster spots when those guys are reinstated. The five catcher thing on the 40 man roster is a bit of an obstacle, because two of the five - Riley and Moreno - have prospect value but need to play a lot, so they aren't the temporary solution for Kirk's absence. I can't see anyone aside from Manoah as a starter I might promote, and I am against promoting him in a panic move. If he comes up before August or September, I want him to force the decision.

As for Pearson, in my uneducated opinion, he's a year away. He seems like the kind of high end prospect who needs a lot of minor league innings to toughen his skin. I didn't like his body language today, both on the field and between innings in the dugout where he was pacing around like he was totally askew mentally, not in control at all of his emotions. That's very concerning at this stage, and why I feel he has to add confidence through minor league experience. Manoah on the other hand sounds like a supremely confident type, almost egotistically so, and that kind of self-belief never hurts with a high end athlete, it's what makes many of the good ones even better.

I think there are larger issues going on there than confidence. The fact that the Jays are changing Pearson’s mechanics up at this stage of his career does not bode well for any kind of immediate major league success.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#143 » by Wo1verine » Sun May 9, 2021 11:12 pm

They had a shot to comeback after Nates garbage start until they decided to use Kay basically throwing the game away without actually knowing it.

Kay should only be used in 7-0 games at this point.

On the bright side Cole looked good and pitched the way Pearson and Kay should be.
BrunoSkull
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#144 » by Boogie! » Sun May 9, 2021 11:59 pm

Is peArson the next Aaron sanchez
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#145 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 am

Boogie! wrote:Is peArson the next Aaron sanchez

Got a lot of work to do still if he wants to even be that good.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#146 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 am

Wo1verine wrote:They had a shot to comeback after Nates garbage start until they decided to use Kay basically throwing the game away without actually knowing it.

Kay should only be used in 7-0 games at this point.

On the bright side Cole looked good and pitched the way Pearson and Kay should be.

Not sure who else they were going to use there. They have no arms left and they should save the good ones for when they have a lead.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#147 » by Cyrus » Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 am

This is why you don't call up pitchers even if they look to be dominating minors, when they are learning new mechanics within the same calendar year. It' just a recipe for disaster. With Schad, people saying they were wasting bullets by keeping in the minors...similar thing can be said with Monah, let him pitch triple A, after he hasn't pitched in "organized ball" last year, and hasn't been above what Rookie or Single A Ball.

also probably did this move because they were desperate with a burned out bullpen...so they were caught in a rock and hard place, maybe we should have waited one more week before we DFA'd Diesel!
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#148 » by polo007 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:05 am

What went wrong for Pearson in debut? - TSN.ca

Nate Pearson's season debut certainly did not go the way Jays fans were hoping for, with the young arm allowing the Astros to get out to a lead early. TSN Blue Jays reporter Scott Mitchell weighs in on what went wrong for Pearson.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#149 » by johanliebert » Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
dagger wrote:

I think there are larger issues going on there than confidence. The fact that the Jays are changing Pearson’s mechanics up at this stage of his career does not bode well for any kind of immediate major league success.

I didn’t realize he turns 25 this year he really might still be a year away. He reminds me of Brandon morrow but even he missed bats.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#150 » by The_Hater » Mon May 10, 2021 8:20 pm

[list=][/list]
Boogie! wrote:Is peArson the next Aaron sanchez

First he needs to pitch well a the MLB level, then he can strive to be the next Aaron Sánchez.

Regardless, we had Roy Halladay posting one of the worst ERA’s in MLB history his 2nd full season with the Jays. 10.64 in 67 innings. So I wouldn’t get overly worried about some early career hiccups, most young starters don’t come in and light it up out of the gate.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#151 » by The_Hater » Mon May 10, 2021 8:23 pm

Cyrus wrote:This is why you don't call up pitchers even if they look to be dominating minors, when they are learning new mechanics within the same calendar year. It' just a recipe for disaster. With Schad, people saying they were wasting bullets by keeping in the minors...similar thing can be said with Monah, let him pitch triple A, after he hasn't pitched in "organized ball" last year, and hasn't been above what Rookie or Single A Ball.

also probably did this move because they were desperate with a burned out bullpen...so they were caught in a rock and hard place, maybe we should have waited one more week before we DFA'd Diesel!

They didn’t necessarily want to call up Pearson, but the continued rash of injuries left them very little choice. They needed someone who could both eat some innings and could hopefully give them a chance to win.

Still, I wouldn’t place too much weight on one start either.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays