ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson

Moderator: JaysRule15

Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,477

Re: Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson 

Post#181 » by Cyrus » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:08 am

The_Hater wrote:
GoRapstheoriginal wrote:After 1 start this is the right move ;)

He didn’t even pitch that great, got hit early, had some control issues. That’s how good this guys stuff is.

I have no problem with this trade. You can’t hold onto all your prospects and if you’re going to trade good ones, do it for quality starting pitching.

To me he is basically Marcus Stroman, without may be the off field/twitter stuff, marcus comes to free agency one year earlier than he does. But essentially the same kind of pitcher/upside, maybe a bit more durable.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Re: Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson 

Post#182 » by anj » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:51 pm

Cyrus wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

He didn’t even pitch that great, got hit early, had some control issues. That’s how good this guys stuff is.

I have no problem with this trade. You can’t hold onto all your prospects and if you’re going to trade good ones, do it for quality starting pitching.

To me he is basically Marcus Stroman, without may be the off field/twitter stuff, marcus comes to free agency one year earlier than he does. But essentially the same kind of pitcher/upside, maybe a bit more durable.

The bolded is a massive difference-maker. Berrios is 3 years younger too.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#183 » by The_Hater » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:53 pm

Cyrus wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

More durable, less vocal. But also more consistent, Stroman has some really bad seasons on his resume.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#184 » by -MetA4- » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:52 pm

Cyrus wrote:To me he is basically Marcus Stroman, without may be the off field/twitter stuff, marcus comes to free agency one year earlier than he does. But essentially the same kind of pitcher/upside, maybe a bit more durable.

His upside is higher than Stroman's because he misses more bats and is less reliant on defense/luck on balls put in play. He averages basically 2 whole strikeouts more per 9 innings.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#185 » by Vampirate » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:20 pm

Cyrus wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Look at the stats, he's better than Stroman.

He strikes out a batter an inning and gives up less hits than Stroman does. The only concern is his higher HR rate than Stroman as I think he's a flyball type pitcher.

Also keep in mind park factors as well.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#186 » by Cyrus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Man we got off Austin Martin at the right time, thought this guy would be playing with Twins by now, or atleast on Triple A team, and he's fallen off so much, he's gone back to rookie ball to no doubt rebuild his confidence, and swing.

This was supposed consensus #1 pick that fell to #5
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#187 » by T-d0t » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Cyrus wrote:Man we got off Austin Martin at the right time, thought this guy would be playing with Twins by now, or atleast on Triple A team, and he's fallen off so much, he's gone back to rookie ball to no doubt rebuild his confidence, and swing.

Don't forget SWR.

I remember thinking it was crazy Martin fell and then thought we were crazy trading him for Berrios.

Berrios turning the corner this season makes this trade look pretty one-sided so far
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#188 » by Cyrus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:09 pm

T-d0t wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Man we got off Austin Martin at the right time, thought this guy would be playing with Twins by now, or atleast on Triple A team, and he's fallen off so much, he's gone back to rookie ball to no doubt rebuild his confidence, and swing.

Don't forget SWR.

I remember thinking it was crazy Martin fell and then thought we were crazy trading him for Berrios.

Berrios turning the corner this season makes this trade look pretty one-sided so far

Yeah SWR is on the cusp, atleast he's between triple A and big club kind of like Pearson. But yeah everyone including me based on last year wanted this deal reversed.

But atleast for once we sold high on a prospect/player.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#189 » by dagger » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:49 pm

Cyrus wrote:
T-d0t wrote:

Don't forget SWR.

Yeah SWR is on the cusp, atleast he's between triple A and big club kind of like Pearson. But yeah everyone including me based on last year wanted this deal reversed.

But at least for once we sold high on a prospect/player.

We did the same with Gunnar Hoglund, he's struggling in Low A.

Same Taylor and Max Castillo got the Jays Whit Merrifield, and right now neither prospect is killing it although Taylor is up and down from AAA to the MLB,. Both may yet contribute as MLB regulars, but the Jays have gotten great value this year from Whit.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Blue Jays