Re: Ray or Semien 

Post#41 » by polo007 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Read on Twitter
akakalakin
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#42 » by akakalakin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:51 pm

Semien obviously, as Ray will probably have arm blowout shortly after signing contract.

That said ownership is able to pay both and should, unless a better deal is available.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#43 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#44 » by COY0607 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:58 am

Going to be an interesting summer. Ray and Siemien, but Matz is a major piece as well, and should be a lot cheaper. Would also be interesting to see if they can get rid of Grichuk and possibly even Ryu...
JTT
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#45 » by JTT » Mon Oct 4, 2021 3:42 am

I think first order of business might be extension talks with Berrios. They paid a price for him that they’ll surely want to make worthwhile. It will also go along way in determining what they need to do with their pitching staff.
polo007
General Manager

Post#46 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:06 am

Phillips on why Semien might be more crucial to sign than Ray for Blue Jays - TSN.ca

Now that the Blue Jays' season is officially over, the focus now shifts towards next season and how the team will handle their two biggest pending free agents, Marcus Semien and Robbie Ray. TSN MLB Insider Steve Phillips shares his thoughts on the future of those two players and the biggest need Toronto needs to address this offseason.
polo007
General Manager

Post#47 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:43 pm

Semien on Jays' future: 'Who doesn't want to be a part of that?' - TSN.ca

Coming off a career-best season with the Toronto Blue Jays, second baseman Marcus Semien said he's open to returning to the team ahead of reaching free agency this winter.

The Blue Jays' season came to an end Sunday despite a 12-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles, as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox both won to hold on to their wild-card spots.

"We had the best offence in the major leagues, and in my mind, the best starting pitching in the game. Who doesn't want to be a part of that?" Semien said after Sunday's win when asked about his future. "There's little pieces to add to get to the next level. I'm one of them. I think our bullpen is another one. We also have young, young guys getting better.

"We'll see what happens, but I had a great time here."
polo007
General Manager

Post#48 » by polo007 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:56 pm

Blue Jays deserved better fate after coming up one game short of wild card - Sportsnet.ca

Semien, a member of the players association’s influential executive sub-committee who will be busy with the expiring labour agreement this winter, offered a bit more insight into his thinking, noting the various elements that factor in.

But, he also added: “We had the best offence in the major leagues and in my mind, the best starting pitching in the game. How could you not want to be a part of that?”

“Obviously, when you have those things set in stone, there are little pieces to add to get to the next level,” he added. “I'm one of them. I think our bullpen is another one. We also have young guys getting better, so let's see what happens. But I had a great time here. I love the facility and everything that they offered for me to do what I need to do to get ready for a game. And that's all I can ask for sure.”

The competition for him, even in what should be an historic free-agent shortstop market, will be fierce and the San Francisco Giants are expected to try and lure the Bay Area native back home. During the Blue Jays’ recent series in Tampa, they had a senior front office member there to advance scout the Rays, but surely also to keep an eye on Semien.

Money, of course, talks, but so too will his Toronto experience and of the things that will tug at him when it’s decision time, “the passion of the fans is one.”

“Every game for this last week felt like a playoff game,” Semien continued. “And you saw the results from us as an offence when you have that energy and you're just more hyped and every pitch counts. I can remember back in Oakland where we're in the race and the energy wasn't what we had here, to put it lightly. As a player, you feed off that energy. It's the most fun you can ever have at this level, and it really was a playoff atmosphere.”

Return to Toronto Blue Jays