29%

Total votes: 45

JTT
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Ray or Semien 

Post#21 » by JTT » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:53 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Schad wrote:$20m AAV for four years is more than I'd do for Ray. For what it's worth, his career per-180 IP fWAR is equivalent to a $21.5m AAV give or take, but it's been lower in the past four seasons, and his walk rate this year is so anomalous compared to his career numbers that I really question how much stock we can put in it.

He's been a great bargain this year, and it's certainly possible that he has ironed out the flaws in his delivery that made him so wild in the past, but boy howdy you wouldn't want to get stuck with four years if his loses his release point again.

I agree. I believe in regression toward the mean. I can't see how he can maintain this type of performace going forward. I'd be okay with $20m AAV for 4 years. I'd say we have an advantage in signing him, since Ray has talked about how he credits Pete Walker for the repair job he has done to his pitching.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#22 » by JTT » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:56 pm

Sigh…I’m a ball boy for a reason.

I think going into his age 30 season, he’ll be looking for five years. The Zac Wheeler comp 5/110 has flaws but I think it might be close
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#23 » by Schad » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:38 pm

JTT wrote:Sigh…I’m a ball boy for a reason.

I think going into his age 30 season, he’ll be looking for five years. The Zac Wheeler comp 5/110 has flaws but I think it might be close

I just realized that your account is almost as old as mine. Definitely appreciate wanting to get a feel for the place before commenting, but waiting a full 15 years might've be excessive.
**** your asterisk.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#24 » by JTT » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:19 pm

I might have commitment issues
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#25 » by polo007 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:18 am

Read on Twitter

Blue Jays using different approaches to re-signing Semien and Ray - Sportsnet.ca

2:00 | September 5, 2021

Hazel Mae and Jeff Blair discuss Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien's futures with the Toronto Blue Jays, and updates on Julian Merryweather and Ryan Borucki.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#26 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 6, 2021 1:40 pm

I’m glad to see the Jays are trying to sign both players. Hopefully that means there’s a nice payroll bump coming next season.

But how unfortunate that the 2nd and 3rd best players on the team are both only signed to 1 year contracts.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,583

Post#27 » by bluerap23 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:43 pm

Ray seems to have figured it out. He has been one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB and will easily command upwards of 4/80. I will be extremely disappointed if we are outbid and cheap out on a #5 type starter. It is great that we were able to get him at such a low cost and turn him into this pitcher, but retaining him is essential if we want to compete next year.
The_Hater

Post#28 » by The_Hater » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:01 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Ray seems to have figured it out. He has been one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB and will easily command upwards of 4/80. I will be extremely disappointed if we are outbid and cheap out on a #5 type starter. It is great that we were able to get him at such a low cost and turn him into this pitcher, but retaining him is essential if we want to compete next year.

The Jays have money to spend and they want to compete for titles the next 3 years so I can’t imagine they’re not going to cheap out now. They kept the payroll low the past 2-3 years planning for this. The fact they tried to extend Semien this past week tells me that they’re going after both.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#29 » by JTT » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:42 pm

I wonder if Semien will be harder than Ray. That pull of being a shortstop… and they get paid more than second basemen. Ray on the other hand figured it out while working with the current staff. Hopefully, there’s some degree of kinship there.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Schad » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:39 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Ray seems to have figured it out. He has been one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB and will easily command upwards of 4/80. I will be extremely disappointed if we are outbid and cheap out on a #5 type starter. It is great that we were able to get him at such a low cost and turn him into this pitcher, but retaining him is essential if we want to compete next year.

'Seems' is doing a fair bit of work there, though. Ray's been, with the exception of 2020 and 2021, a pretty consistent starter: a #3/#4 guy who racks up Ks and walks and is overall a shade above average. And then in 2020 he was egregious, and 2021 he is (save for some HR woes) close to elite.

At 29, has he figured things out in a way that can be maintained over 4+ years? Definitely possible. Also possible is that he's 2021's Patrick Corbin, who went from being a #3/#4 guy to two excellent seasons at ages 28 and 29, before being iffy last year and disastrous this year, with 3 years/$82m remaining.

There's a price point at which you keep him, and there's a price point at which you don't, and the price point at which you don't is one where you're expected to pay for his 2021 performance while ignoring how much of an outlier his walk rate is relative to the 800+ major league IP he threw prior to this ear.
**** your asterisk.
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#31 » by radeonboy » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:08 am

Quality starting pitching is a must when you can't rely on your bullpen. Semien has been great but pitching IMO is more important.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#32 » by JTT » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:49 am

Schad wrote:

'Seems' is doing a fair bit of work there, though. Ray's been, with the exception of 2020 and 2021, a pretty consistent starter: a #3/#4 guy who racks up Ks and walks and is overall a shade above average. And then in 2020 he was egregious, and 2021 he is (save for some HR woes) close to elite.

At 29, has he figured things out in a way that can be maintained over 4+ years? Definitely possible. Also possible is that he's 2021's Patrick Corbin, who went from being a #3/#4 guy to two excellent seasons at ages 28 and 29, before being iffy last year and disastrous this year, with 3 years/$82m remaining.

There's a price point at which you keep him, and there's a price point at which you don't, and the price point at which you don't is one where you're expected to pay for his 2021 performance while ignoring how much of an outlier his walk rate is relative to the 800+ major league IP he threw prior to this ear.

If Ray is just close to elite, I’m awfully glad that I don’t have to live up to your high standards :lol:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Schad » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:14 am

JTT wrote:If Ray is just close to elite, I’m awfully glad that I don’t have to live up to your high standards :lol:

Depends on one's preferred metric. He's 9th in fWAR among starting pitchers, 1st in bWAR, 12th in FIP, and 16th in xwOBA/xERA. There's no question that he has been very good, but whether he's belongs in that top tier of guys who deserve Cy Young votes depends on whether or not you think he's gotten a bit lucky. He's really unusual among the top 30 or so starters in that he gives up a lot of hard contact, but offsets it with one of the best K-BB ratios in baseball.

And it's a question of whether he can sustain that, given that he walked more people from 2015-2020 than anyone in baseball (he was 34th in innings pitched in that span, so it's not like they just accumulated because he was such a workhorse, either).
**** your asterisk.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#34 » by JTT » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:59 pm

Schad wrote:
JTT wrote:If Ray is just close to elite, I’m awfully glad that I don’t have to live up to your high standards :lol:

Depends on one's preferred metric. He's 9th in fWAR among starting pitchers, 1st in bWAR, 12th in FIP, and 16th in xwOBA/xERA. There's no question that he has been very good, but whether he's belongs in that top tier of guys who deserve Cy Young votes depends on whether or not you think he's gotten a bit lucky. He's really unusual among the top 30 or so starters in that he gives up a lot of hard contact, but offsets it with one of the best K-BB ratios in baseball.

And it's a question of whether he can sustain that, given that he walked more people from 2015-2020 than anyone in baseball (he was 34th in innings pitched in that span, so it's not like they just accumulated because he was such a workhorse, either).

Thanks for this. I was perusing baseball savant last night to make sure I understood all of those acronyms and came across hard hit percentage where he ranks 60th (barrels/pa%). Interesting stuff. It made me curious to see if he has always given up hard contact but didn’t find year over year data.

Does anybody happen to know (for an advanced stat neophyte) if there’s a positive correlation between fly balls and barrels hit? That is, do ground ball pitchers give up less hard contact?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,503

Post#35 » by dagger » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 pm

Let's look at the competition for Semien. He's having an exceptional career but he's also 31. The middle infield FA class is deep, very deep. For example, how would you compare the contract range for Semien with Javier Baez of the Mets, who is three years younger. He, too, has a nice track record. His 31 homers this season haven't even reached his career high (34).

https://www.mlb.com/player/javier-baez-595879
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#36 » by Parataxis » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:25 pm

JTT wrote:
Schad wrote:

Thanks for this. I was perusing baseball savant last night to make sure I understood all of those acronyms and came across hard hit percentage where he ranks 60th (barrels/pa%). Interesting stuff. It made me curious to see if he has always given up hard contact but didn’t find year over year data.

Does anybody happen to know (for an advanced stat neophyte) if there’s a positive correlation between fly balls and barrels hit? That is, do ground ball pitchers give up less hard contact?

AFAIK, the Barrel stat takes launch angle into account (it's a factor of both exit velocity and launch angle) so largely barrels are not going to be ground balls, almost by definition.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/barrel
JTT
Sophomore

Post#37 » by JTT » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Parataxis wrote:
JTT wrote:
Schad wrote:

AFAIK, the Barrel stat takes launch angle into account (it's a factor of both exit velocity and launch angle) so largely barrels are not going to be ground balls, almost by definition.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/barrel

Fantastic. Thanks for this.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#38 » by COY0607 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 am

The market may be somewhat different for both. Semien is virtually guaranteed $100M+, maybe $120M+ aka Springer type deal.

Ray, I think, may be lot less expensive. He's had 1 good (great) season, age is 30+ (type of pitcher who likely will not age well), limited variety of pitches, and in a year with good pitching FA available. He could potentially cost a lot less

If Ray can be had at a 3 year type deal, I would take that and run. Maybe trade Ryu to make up the $$??

Semien is close to being priced out, and this offence is strong enough to be dominant without him. I just can't see the FO signing another $20M++ /year guy when you have Vladdy, Bo, Teoscar coming up for contracts soon, and Springer already signed.
JTT
Sophomore

Post#39 » by JTT » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm

The only thing that would ever get in his way at this point is health because physically, mechanically, pitch arsenal, what he’s doing on the mound, what he brings to the table every day, is not going away.”

An interesting quote from Pete Walker on Robbie Ray and whether his success is repeatable. Reading elsewhere in the piece, it definitely feels like the Jays think he has his delivery figured out. If they believe this, will they back up the truck?

https://theathletic.com/2835591/2021/09/20/how-blue-jays-robbie-ray-went-from-a-walk-machine-to-a-cy-young-candidate-hes-willed-himself-to-this-point/
The_Hater

Post#40 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm

JTT wrote:
The only thing that would ever get in his way at this point is health because physically, mechanically, pitch arsenal, what he’s doing on the mound, what he brings to the table every day, is not going away.”

An interesting quote from Pete Walker on Robbie Ray and whether his success is repeatable. Reading elsewhere in the piece, it definitely feels like the Jays think he has his delivery figured out. If they believe this, will they back up the truck?

https://theathletic.com/2835591/2021/09/20/how-blue-jays-robbie-ray-went-from-a-walk-machine-to-a-cy-young-candidate-hes-willed-himself-to-this-point/

They won’t be afraid to pay him, but I also think he won’t cost as much as many seem to think. He had a bunch of mediocre seasons before this year including a >6 ERA just last year. He hasn’t put a track record in place that comes close to matching Ryu when we signed him although he will also be 3 years younger as a UFA. A similar $80/4 contract is more likely than $120+ Predictions that I’ve seen thrown around. Plus it’s a very strong free agency class this winter.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays