ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 162 - Baltimore Orioles (51-107) @ Toronto Blue Jays (88-71) - October 1-3

Moderator: JaysRule15

Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,824

Re: Game 162 - Baltimore Orioles (51-107) @ Toronto Blue Jays (88-71) - October 1-3 

Post#541 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:18 am

Schad wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:You guys can blame Montoyo all you want, the reason why we didn't make it was because the FO didn't give us a half decent bullpen to start the season. Just count how many games our bullpen cost us this year in the first half.

We could have had Liam Hendriks as a FA, but this management team didn't want to fork over the $$$ and years to get him. He would have stabilized this bullpen and given us a proven closer. I bet we'd be talking about hosting that wild card playoff game if he was on this team right now.

We had a half-decent bullpen at the start of the season. Through mid-May, they were 4th in the majors in ERA, and led the majors in Win Probability Added. And then everyone got injured.

Would be nice if the FO went out and got us some arms that were proven and that didn't fall off Schad. I still blame Shatkins complacency and for taking longer to address the bullpen problem. This cost us several games.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Re: Game 162 - Baltimore Orioles (51-107) @ Toronto Blue Jays (88-71) - October 1-3 

Post#542 » by C Court » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:26 am

SharoneWright wrote:
C Court wrote:I’m not the least bit upset that the Jays season is over. They exceeded my expectations and the future is bright.

Thanks for an entertaining year!

You also just got denied a promotion and your girlfriend has begun to play the field… It’s been a good run!?

Nah, man. Raise your expectations. This team was as dangerous as any. A wasted year. Unmitigatedly so.

Nah. It’s just a game and entertainment.

If a baseball team winning or losing means that much to you, then you need to rethink your priorities.

I raise my expectations for the success of my friends and family - not for a sports team.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#543 » by JN » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:32 am

Schad wrote:
COY0607 wrote:Speaking of the FO, I would also add that as great as the O was, there was not much diversity in style. Lot of RHB, lot of swings, lot of smashers. The offence was boom or bust, needs to be more consistent

We were 2nd in batting average and fourth in OBP.

But the Jays were also near the bottom of the league in OPS in late/close inning situations which also hurt their record in close games.

I raised this in another thread, but did the relative similarity of our lineup (with a lack of lefties) make the team easier to manage against in tight games and make the Jays susceptible to power righthanded relievers?

Of course it could all be bad luck that will correct itself in a new sample next season. But I think it is something that management has to at least consider -- why did the offence struggle so much in the clutch / bullpen segments of games.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,575

Post#544 » by mdenny » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:36 am

JN wrote:
Schad wrote:
COY0607 wrote:Speaking of the FO, I would also add that as great as the O was, there was not much diversity in style. Lot of RHB, lot of swings, lot of smashers. The offence was boom or bust, needs to be more consistent

We were 2nd in batting average and fourth in OBP.

But the Jays were also near the bottom of the league in OPS in late/close inning situations which also hurt their record in close games.

I raised this in another thread, but did the relative similarity of our lineup (with a lack of lefties) make the team easier to manage against in tight games and make the Jays susceptible to power righthanded relievers?

Of course it could all be bad luck that will correct itself in a new sample next season. But I think it is something that management has to at least consider -- why did the offence struggle so much in the clutch / bullpen segments of games.

Is it because very few of our best players work the count? We are so aggressive at the plate. I imagine that has a big impact on late game situations.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#545 » by JN » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:00 am

mdenny wrote:
JN wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The alternative, Stanton, is not a high contact guy, he's actually the opposite. Again, this reason makes no sense.

They certainly did until they were staring at extra innings in the face.

Stanton goes up to bat knowing the pitcher has to throw strikes and does not want to fall behind in the count.
His effectiveness and contact rate will inherently go up by a fairly significant margin because of that factor.

That is the factor that is the biggest for me. Player "X" whomever it is, gets much more comfortable at the place when the bases are loaded because the range of pitches should go down significantly. I would love to see the analytics on how much more effective a batter becomes with bases loaded and a tie game in late innings. And compare that to DP rates, Groundball Rates, Walk Rates, I really do not think there is a clear answer here especially in modern day when less balls are put in play.

Either way appreciate the good baseball argument. I miss those whether people think I am right or wrong. I lost a lot of passion for baseball after 1994 (in part the strike, in part university/work), and my passion took a last gut bunch when the Expos left in 2004. I was not a Jays fan at the time -- in fact I hated them in the early 90's when the Expos were somewhat competitive. Got over my hatred for the Jays when I lived in Toronto in the early 2000's,but never really got into them either. Appreciated getting into baseball and the Jays quite a bit more this year.

I was a hardcore baseball stat nerd as a kid before it got really advanced. I think I was the only 8/9/10 year old who religiously read Bill James and the Elias Baseball Analyst each year in the mid 80's. Stats were developing at that point (and not nearly as advanced as today but the underlying concepts of player value (good / bad) were certainly being formed and opinions were starting to change. Concepts like walks are underrated, empty batting averages, secondary averages, and then OPS at the end were filling my mind. And Ken Phelps should have been treated better!! I remember getting in arguments with other 11 year oldsexplaining that some guys who got 100RBI's were not nearly as good as they thought. As a 12 year old remember getting in a heated 30 minute discussion with my friend at the time that Tim Raines was better than Tim Wallach -- and he kept pointing to his 123 RBI's.

Anyway, I am digressing, but right or wrong I enjoy a good baseball argument. I enjoy the fact that tactics or norms in baseball have to change or be re-considered as eras and the way the game is played.

I guess another factor is that ypu could try to paint corners to judge with breaking balls knowing that a walk doesnt hurt you.

I think i read moneyball like 5 times in the aggregate lol. I love that book and i'm not even a baseball fan. There were so many intuitive things in that book that i wondered to myself when i was a kid and cheering for Willie Upshaw. Crazy to find out that so many of the stats were misleading because they were based on cricket.

I have the same intuition now when it comes to sacrifice flies. Seems to me that not nearly enough players/teams advance guys from 1st to second and even moreso from second to third on flyouts.

Ever heard that argument? There were a couple today in the relevant games including a rare first to second by the winning runner in the yanks game. Figure its just a matter of time til a team like tampa figure this out and the rest of the leagye follows.

I never actually read Moneyball. I was new to Toronto at the time, starting my career, and my interests were changing greatly, My conceptual base was Bill James in the 1980's and it set the conceptual basis for many things that were built on even more after that.... but I moved on from the analytics part of baseball by 15.

I am trying to understand your observation
#1. Are you saying that teams should tactically try for more fly balls that could turn into sac flies?
OR
#2. Are you saying that teams should be more aggressive on tagging up on flyballs?

I think your observation is #2. And I don't think teams will be any more aggressive in trying for that extra base via sac fly in the future. ***

A comparable would be the stolen base which is an "aggressive" move to gain an extra base. Many teams don't think the gamble is worth it and don't attempt many stolen bases. And that is even with the threat of a stolen base messing with pitcher's head which has value. The threat of taking that extra base on a sacrifice fly does not have the same "**** with the other teams head" value. I actually think the stolen base is a bit underrated in modern times. Not the actual value of getting that base, which is largely diminished in this low contact / high walk / high HR era. But many pitchers still seem to be bothered with guys on base that can steal, and that "**** with their head" has to help the batter be more effective.

*** Giving this further thought I think teams bail out on that potential extra base to often (especially first to second). Many long fly balls to center runners at first will just give up on the tag up, when there are probably situations where it is pretty easy to get. But players at first are generally never taught to tag up.... always go half way or more if you are at first on a fly ball.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#546 » by Parataxis » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:49 am

linery88 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Edit: now he’s naming Ross Atkins and Marc Shapiro by name. Saying they deserve so much credit.

Has anybody ever fought for their job this hard in your presence?

We need someone who has won on this team.It can be a player,mgr,or coach.

Am I mis-remembering George Springer's resume, or are you?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,316

Post#547 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Oct 4, 2021 3:10 am

C Court wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
C Court wrote:I’m not the least bit upset that the Jays season is over. They exceeded my expectations and the future is bright.

Thanks for an entertaining year!

You also just got denied a promotion and your girlfriend has begun to play the field… It’s been a good run!?

Nah, man. Raise your expectations. This team was as dangerous as any. A wasted year. Unmitigatedly so.

Nah. It’s just a game and entertainment.

If a baseball team winning or losing means that much to you, then you need to rethink your priorities.

I raise my expectations for the success of my friends and family - not for a sports team.

I agree with the idea in general. But respectfully, it's odd to be posting on a sports forum full of sports fans telling people that sports shouldn't mean that much to them. Maybe today isn't the day for that.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#548 » by s e n s i » Mon Oct 4, 2021 3:13 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Schad wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:You guys can blame Montoyo all you want, the reason why we didn't make it was because the FO didn't give us a half decent bullpen to start the season. Just count how many games our bullpen cost us this year in the first half.

We could have had Liam Hendriks as a FA, but this management team didn't want to fork over the $$$ and years to get him. He would have stabilized this bullpen and given us a proven closer. I bet we'd be talking about hosting that wild card playoff game if he was on this team right now.

We had a half-decent bullpen at the start of the season. Through mid-May, they were 4th in the majors in ERA, and led the majors in Win Probability Added. And then everyone got injured.

Would be nice if the FO went out and got us some arms that were proven and that didn't fall off Schad. I still blame Shatkins complacency and for taking longer to address the bullpen problem. This cost us several games.

constructing a bullpen is super hard to do though and even harder in may-july when you kind of know what you have.

bullpens (and the relievers that make them up) are just so volatile year-to-year, shatkins gambled and they lost. kirby yates didn't make it through the the lobby of the team facility. we were about to let merryweather impregnate our wives before he got hurt. nate pearson was a non-factor due to injury. rafael dolis got injured and was so bad, the NPB might not even take him back. david phelps back turned into turkey bacon. even if one of those guys has a plus year then we're still playing.

absolutely they could have done better, but any given team is a couple pitches away from their bullpen going from solid to below-replacement. it just didn't work out and it's tough to ask for it to, given the job they did with ray and semien and even matz. can't win em all, you know?
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 553

Post#549 » by linery88 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 3:43 am

Parataxis wrote:
linery88 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Edit: now he’s naming Ross Atkins and Marc Shapiro by name. Saying they deserve so much credit.

Am I mis-remembering George Springer's resume, or are you?

I,m glad he is here.He is great in the post season.
The whole Houston cheating thing kinda makes me want to add more who won without any controversy.
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#550 » by radeonboy » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:16 am

Can't say I'm surprised when you have to rely on the Nats for a chance to get a WC. Losing to Yankees and especially Twins recently did the Jays' season in after a monster run. Stupid Nats beat the Jays back in August too when we should have flattened them. I already saw the writing on the wall a few games ago but I still wanted the Jays to have a WC spot. Jays are the best team not to enter these playoffs. What a shame. 91 wins and a core of leading players with 100+ RBI, boatload of home runs and power numbers and crazy run differential isn't enough to make the playoffs in this AL EAST :banghead: I hope we keep the core in tact but money talks.
radeonboy
Analyst

Post#551 » by radeonboy » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:21 am

Sanyo wrote:And shows you how much I hate the AL East!

Wish the Jays played in a Raptors like titanic division era where its weaker and was an easier path to the playoffs :lol:
radeonboy
Analyst

Post#552 » by radeonboy » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:24 am

linery88 wrote:

Its how Toronto teams win here.
Kawaii/Nurse both won with S.A.
I don`t see Montoya winning a W.S. with us.
Hopefully i,m wrong.

Maybe Montoyo is Dwane Casey, excellent coach for young group of players to grow but needing to replace with someone like a Nick Nurse to get us to the next level... :lol: Montoyo can only go so far but never reach the promise land.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 553

Post#553 » by linery88 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:38 am

radeonboy wrote:
linery88 wrote:

Its how Toronto teams win here.
Kawaii/Nurse both won with S.A.
I don`t see Montoya winning a W.S. with us.
Hopefully i,m wrong.

Maybe Montoyo is Dwane Casey, excellent coach for young group of players to grow but needing to replace with someone like a Nick Nurse to get us to the next level... :lol: Montoyo can only go so far but never reach the promise land.

If he had Nurses tactical abilities it would be fun to expect big things.
Hard to know what he was thinking with some of his pitching,and hitting moves this year.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#554 » by Schad » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:55 am

s e n s i wrote:
constructing a bullpen is super hard to do though and even harder in may-july when you kind of know what you have.

bullpens (and the relievers that make them up) are just so volatile year-to-year, shatkins gambled and they lost. kirby yates didn't make it through the the lobby of the team facility. we were about to let merryweather impregnate our wives before he got hurt. nate pearson was a non-factor due to injury. rafael dolis got injured and was so bad, the NPB might not even take him back. david phelps back turned into turkey bacon. even if one of those guys has a plus year then we're still playing.

absolutely they could have done better, but any given team is a couple pitches away from their bullpen going from solid to below-replacement. it just didn't work out and it's tough to ask for it to, given the job they did with ray and semien and even matz. can't win em all, you know?

The Padres acquired every pitcher in baseball this offseason. Their season fell apart because they didn't have enough pitching in the second half. The gods are fickle.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,003

Post#555 » by JaysRule15 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:29 am

For me, that last game where we lost against the Yankees where Ray just blew apart after cruising into the 6th inning and our offense couldn't do anything just kinda felt like that was it for our playoff hopes. We came into that series needing 2 outta 3 minimum, and had Berrios and Ray pitching two of the three games with a fully healthy lineup and rested pen. That was the do or die series. As much as we can talk about luck and Nationals being trash and whatever, we had a chance to control our own fate up until the final week and blew it. Hopefully it was a learning experience for the young guys.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,316

Post#556 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:38 am

JaysRule15 wrote:For me, that last game where we lost against the Yankees where Ray just blew apart after cruising into the 6th inning and our offense couldn't do anything just kinda felt like that was it for our playoff hopes. We came into that series needing 2 outta 3 minimum, and had Berrios and Ray pitching two of the three games with a fully healthy lineup and rested pen. That was the do or die series. As much as we can talk about luck and Nationals being trash and whatever, we had a chance to control our own fate up until the final week and blew it. Hopefully it was a learning experience for the young guys.

Yes, those 3 against the NYY felt like actual playoff games this week and for good reason. The Os games very much did not. At that point, we were just hoping to get help that wasn't likely to ever come and it didn't.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,373

Post#557 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 7:36 am

JaysRule15 wrote:For me, that last game where we lost against the Yankees where Ray just blew apart after cruising into the 6th inning and our offense couldn't do anything just kinda felt like that was it for our playoff hopes. We came into that series needing 2 outta 3 minimum, and had Berrios and Ray pitching two of the three games with a fully healthy lineup and rested pen. That was the do or die series. As much as we can talk about luck and Nationals being trash and whatever, we had a chance to control our own fate up until the final week and blew it. Hopefully it was a learning experience for the young guys.

Our season should never have come down to needing to win 2 of 3 in that series. Losing series happens. What we needed to do was not **** around earlier in the year.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,231

Post#558 » by Mehar » Mon Oct 4, 2021 10:45 am

They definitely needed 2 out of 3 against the Yankees, because of winning only 2 out of 4 against Minnesota. You had to do better than split a 4 game series against the worst team in the AL Central. You needed at least 3 out of 4, or better yet a sweep. You had to do better than score 1 run against a marginal pitcher like Ober, with a little over a week left in the season. I said it at the time, that series might come back to haunt them, and it did. The bats went cold, starting in Tampa when the Jays won only 4 games out of 10. We did have a chance to control our fate, and blew it.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#559 » by johanliebert » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:
johanliebert wrote:Dan shulman has no chemistry with Tabler. It leads to a dull broadcast.

Shulman is the best MLB play by play man on the planet, Tabler might be the worst CC in MLB. Only 1 person is at fault for this.

Still waaaaay better than Buck/Tabler

Listening to him is exhausting and he sounds like every other pbp guy in baseball.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#560 » by johanliebert » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:26 pm

radeonboy wrote:Can't say I'm surprised when you have to rely on the Nats for a chance to get a WC. Losing to Yankees and especially Twins recently did the Jays' season in after a monster run. Stupid Nats beat the Jays back in August too when we should have flattened them. I already saw the writing on the wall a few games ago but I still wanted the Jays to have a WC spot. Jays are the best team not to enter these playoffs. What a shame. 91 wins and a core of leading players with 100+ RBI, boatload of home runs and power numbers and crazy run differential isn't enough to make the playoffs in this AL EAST :banghead: I hope we keep the core in tact but money talks.

Those games they lost vs the Mariners/tigers/nats in august hurt. Or even recently when semien threw a game away vs the tigers. All in all it was a good season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays