General Blue Jays Thread: 2024 Season

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: General Blue Jays Thread pt. 2 

Post#101 » by Schad » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 am

Brinbe wrote:lol as if any one of us should ever feel sorry for **** Rogers. Of all the ownership groups in baseball that could afford the future outlay in this team, it's them.

The perception of teams trying to win every deal and becoming financial economists has warped sports fans' minds that just rewards cheap-ass owners.

"Nobody cares about whether I make money or not," Middleton told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "If my legacy is that I didn't lose any money owning a baseball team on an annual operating basis, that's a pretty sad legacy. It's about putting trophies in the cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/phillies-owner-john-middleton-says-he-doesnt-care-how-high-payroll-goes-i-just-want-to-win/amp/

The Phillies' owner is completely right. Giving two **** about contract/salary efficiency is stupid and the sooner fans get out of that mindset, especially in baseball, the better. It makes a smidgen more sense in basketball or hockey due to the cap situations but MLSE should/could easily afford paying tax money.

There's two separate things at play:

- I think it's completely futile to expect owners to lose money, because they are all billionaires, and billionaires do not go out of their way to lose money (and megacorporations even less than your average billionaires). For that reason, contracts do matter, because Rogers simply isn't going to lose money. That doesn't mean one is sympathetic to Rogers, it just means recognizing reality. Moose Jaw will have a MLB franchise before the corporate overlords start willingly running in the red (and for Middleton's talk, he sure as hell isn't running the Phillies as a charity).

- Despite the above, MLB franchises crying poor is absurd. As far as I am aware, every MLB owner with the possible exception of Frank McCourt in the past 2-3 decades walked away significantly richer for their investment, and significantly richer than if they had simply thrown that cash into a Vanguard account or whatever.

-
**** your asterisk.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#102 » by Brinbe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:16 pm

Schad wrote:
Brinbe wrote:lol as if any one of us should ever feel sorry for **** Rogers. Of all the ownership groups in baseball that could afford the future outlay in this team, it's them.

The perception of teams trying to win every deal and becoming financial economists has warped sports fans' minds that just rewards cheap-ass owners.

"Nobody cares about whether I make money or not," Middleton told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "If my legacy is that I didn't lose any money owning a baseball team on an annual operating basis, that's a pretty sad legacy. It's about putting trophies in the cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/phillies-owner-john-middleton-says-he-doesnt-care-how-high-payroll-goes-i-just-want-to-win/amp/

The Phillies' owner is completely right. Giving two **** about contract/salary efficiency is stupid and the sooner fans get out of that mindset, especially in baseball, the better. It makes a smidgen more sense in basketball or hockey due to the cap situations but MLSE should/could easily afford paying tax money.

There's two separate things at play:

- I think it's completely futile to expect owners to lose money, because they are all billionaires, and billionaires do not go out of their way to lose money (and megacorporations even less than your average billionaires). For that reason, contracts do matter, because Rogers simply isn't going to lose money. That doesn't mean one is sympathetic to Rogers, it just means recognizing reality. Moose Jaw will have a MLB franchise before the corporate overlords start willingly running in the red (and for Middleton's talk, he sure as hell isn't running the Phillies as a charity).

- Despite the above, MLB franchises crying poor is absurd. As far as I am aware, every MLB owner with the possible exception of Frank McCourt in the past 2-3 decades walked away significantly richer for their investment, and significantly richer than if they had simply thrown that cash into a Vanguard account or whatever.

-

Of course, I fully understand what you're saying. But they are hardly losing money, are they? Maybe in the past few covid years, sure. But on a whole, in normal non-covid circumstances, we know they aren't. That's my point. It is entirely linked.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2020/2/26/21153563/atlanta-braves-financial-information-liberty-media-mlb

Read on Twitter

Especially for Rogers which fully owns its own stadium, has its own RSN and has the market of an entire country to itself. The team's worth at this point far exceeds what they paid for it.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/blue-jays-boost-rogers-q2-revenue-but-pricey-salaries-weigh-on-profit-1.1631476

The Toronto Blue Jays are having a good year – four games back of an American League wildcard playoff spot, with half a season yet to play.

And the team is also having a material effect on the bottom line at its owner, Rogers Communications Inc.

Rogers said Wednesday the return of Blue Jays baseball contributed to an 84 per cent increase in revenue in its media segment. That’s the segment in which the Blue Jays – and Rogers Sportsnet, which broadcasts Blue Jays games – are held. Revenue surged to $546 million in the quarter ended on June 30, versus just $296 million a year earlier.

It doesn't mean I expect (or want) them to spend like a drunk baseball version of PSG anytime soon, but my point is that MLB owners regardless of market are hardly hurting. It's all relative peanuts in the end.

That being said, I expect that they'll eventually pay Vlad since he's the face of the franchise.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#103 » by polo007 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 3:30 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#104 » by polo007 » Mon Mar 6, 2023 1:06 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#105 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:03 pm

Bat flip
2 homers in game 6 against KC
Hitting like prime Barry Bonds vs. Darren O'Day
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#106 » by Brinbe » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:01 pm

Just came across this vid. Twas a wee bit before my time but I figure some of y'all were around for it. Good watch regardless!

Aimless Outlook
Senior
And1: 42

Post#107 » by Aimless Outlook » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:12 pm

Brinbe wrote:Just came across this vid. Twas a wee bit before my time but I figure some of y'all were around for it. Good watch regardless!

I remember watching him pitch on TV as a kid, but I'd actually completely forgotten about him.

Watching that video, I see similarities to RA Dickey. crazy Pitch movement and completely throwing off a hitter's typical timing. Even watching Ernie Whitt miss catching the pitch, looked like Thole catching Dickey.

That was a cool throwback.
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#108 » by Brinbe » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:51 pm

A legit good move.

Read on Twitter
?t=Uhc5VWz-d5jO1wPOl5o3Mg&s=19
polo007
General Manager

Post#109 » by polo007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:55 pm

Read on Twitter
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#110 » by duppyy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:08 pm

Brinbe wrote:A legit good move.

Read on Twitter
?t=Uhc5VWz-d5jO1wPOl5o3Mg&s=19

Aren’t there seats that are cheaper than $20? Or they won’t let you float around with those cheap seats lol.
polo007
General Manager

Post#111 » by polo007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,429

Post#112 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:55 am

as soon as they made reno's to the outfield and more social areas, i had hoped they would do the $20 bucks admission for it. just makes way too much sense. glad they ended up doing it. bought 5 games already
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#113 » by Schad » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:54 pm

Aimless Outlook wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Just came across this vid. Twas a wee bit before my time but I figure some of y'all were around for it. Good watch regardless!

I remember watching him pitch on TV as a kid, but I'd actually completely forgotten about him.

Watching that video, I see similarities to RA Dickey. crazy Pitch movement and completely throwing off a hitter's typical timing. Even watching Ernie Whitt miss catching the pitch, looked like Thole catching Dickey.

That was a cool throwback.

Yeah, rookie Eichhorn had a mix of exceptional control, and inconsistent movement within the zone that made it very difficult to anticipate. In the video, you can see a lot of pitches breaking down and in to right-handed hitters...usually, sidearmers have a lot of lateral movement in the other direction (their fastballs look like sliders, and their sliders like fastballs), but Eichhorn was getting screwball movement from that angle. You aren't wrong in that it's more comparable to a 'fast knuckler' in terms of the movement profile than a guy like O'Dea.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#114 » by SharoneWright » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 pm

Eichorn means squirrel auf Deutsch. HIs pitches were definitely squirrly.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#115 » by SharoneWright » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:48 pm

Team Canada game might go 6 hours. Too late for a pitch clock??
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#116 » by Raider917 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:22 pm

Berrios looks bad again this spring
Mad Prophet
Veteran
And1: 725

Post#117 » by Mad Prophet » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:12 pm

With the short outfield dimensions, I think Berrios will break the team record this year for homers allowed.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#118 » by Raider917 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:06 pm

Canadian pitching was good today.
polo007
General Manager

Post#119 » by polo007 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#120 » by Cyrus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am

Mad Prophet wrote:With the short outfield dimensions, I think Berrios will break the team record this year for homers allowed.

Man this FO can't afford to have a miss on berriors and that contract if he has another terrible year, it'll be basically an albatross contract if he can't bounce back to being atleast medicore and not the worst start pitcher in baseball. 7 year deal, and only in year 2....woof

Return to Toronto Blue Jays