ImageImageImageImageImage

General Blue Jays Thread: 2024 Season

Moderator: JaysRule15

JuniorFelix
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: General Blue Jays Thread pt. 2 

Post#141 » by JuniorFelix » Tue Apr 4, 2023 4:58 pm

This is not a good team, the pitching is attrocious. I don't know why everyone keeps picking the Jays to win the AL East or even make the world series every year I wasn't expecting much going into this season and they look even worse than I envisioned. I thought they had a chance to sneak into the last wildcard at least but this looks like a .500 team all day
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#142 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 4, 2023 5:07 pm

JuniorFelix wrote:This is not a good team, the pitching is attrocious. I don't know why everyone keeps picking the Jays to win the AL East or even make the world series every year I wasn't expecting much going into this season and they look even worse than I envisioned. I thought they had a chance to sneak into the last wildcard at least but this looks like a .500 team all day

They've been to the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, and missed by 1 game the other year, and they have young players who will presumably be improving and spent some money and made some trades to shore up some of their bigger weaknesses and it is far too early to call the Jays a .500 team this year. On top of that, not very many people picked the Jays to win the AL East, let alone the world series. Most predictions have the Astros and Yankees at the top of the AL, with the Jays in a wild card spot, which is entirely reasonable since that's basically where they have been sitting for the past 3 seasons.

Now, if the starters put up a combined 10 ERA for the rest of the year, then yeah, we'll be in line for a fantastic draft pick.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#143 » by Parataxis » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:55 pm

Does anybody know if the $20 general admission tickets come with the swag for promotional days (if you're one of the first 15,000 in the park), or is that for people with classic tickets only?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,170

Post#144 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:09 pm

JuniorFelix wrote:This is not a good team, the pitching is attrocious. I don't know why everyone keeps picking the Jays to win the AL East or even make the world series every year I wasn't expecting much going into this season and they look even worse than I envisioned. I thought they had a chance to sneak into the last wildcard at least but this looks like a .500 team all day

overreact much?

chill. its just week 1 :lol: :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,170

Post#145 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,324

Post#146 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Apr 5, 2023 8:17 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

125 wRC+ career vs. LHP. Potentially important move here to be able to effectively platoon Kiermaier and pinch hit for LHBs late in games.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#147 » by Schad » Wed Apr 5, 2023 8:34 pm

Yeah, Luplow's a perfect adequate 4th platoon OF. More of a corner power hitter than a typical backup, but with 15 guys who can play CF on the roster that isn't a major problem, and he's a better option as a vL bench bat than Lukes.
**** your asterisk.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#148 » by polo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#149 » by polo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#150 » by Parataxis » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:32 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh fantastic. Last time I saw him in Toronto, it was still called the SkyDome.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#151 » by SharoneWright » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:27 pm

What a platoon. Cecil Fielder and Fred McGriff. Makes your head explode.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
polo007
General Manager

Post#152 » by polo007 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#153 » by Parataxis » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:05 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep, and they're currently occupying all three top positions in the MLB's hit leaderboard.

It's not sustainable, but damn, it's fun to watch.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#154 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:50 pm

Nap Lajoie

Socks Seybold

Lave Cross.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#155 » by Schad » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:50 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Nap Lajoie

Socks Seybold

Lave Cross.

Lave Cross' full name: Lafayette Napoleon Cross.

Lave Cross' birth name: Vratislav Kriz.

Nothing says the American Dream in the 19th century quite like moving to the US from modern-day Czechia, and then inexplicably re-naming your kid after two French guys that didn't really like each other.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#156 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:55 pm

Also solid names for cats.
polo007
General Manager

Post#157 » by polo007 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:59 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#158 » by polo007 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Blue Jays emulate Mets broadcast as closer Jordan Romano gets cinematic treatment - The Athletic

To capture this moment, a lot of moving parts had to come together, from the Blue Jays’ permission and Romano to acquiring the proper equipment to making sure the footage could be broadcast live from field level. To pull it off, it was about a year in the making.

To achieve the cinematic effect, Sportsnet used a specialty DSLR camera attached to a rig that keeps it steady, known as a Megalodon camera.

“It’s all about shallow depth of field,” Clara said. “The concentration is on the subject as opposed to everything else around it.”

The high-resolution Megalodon, as well as four new slo-mo cameras stationed throughout the Rogers Centre, has given Clara and the broadcast team more shots and angles to draw from. It’s all part of an investment Rogers Communications, which owns Sportsnet as well as the Blue Jays, has made into enhancing the broadcast, Clara said. Anything that brings fans closer to the action or players, well, “People love that,” the director said.

As important as the equipment was getting Romano on board, too. Ahead of Toronto’s opening homestand, a member of the Blue Jays public relations team relayed to Romano that Sportsnet was interested in filming him as he headed out to the mound for a save. The 29-year-old was familiar with the video of Díaz and recognized it would be a cool view to grant fans. All the closer requested was the camera person be as inconspicuous as possible.

For Sportsnet, that was easy. Frazao, the cameraman, has experience operating the Megalodon at Toronto Raptors games and walking the line between getting up close and personal while remaining professional. The Blue Jays crew was able to recruit him this year, and Clara said he was eager to pull off a memorable moment with Romano.

“(Frazao) also knows how to push the envelope a bit without getting into trouble,” Clara said. “Because each time, again, it’s about building trust.”

A perfect scenario for Sportsnet would have been capturing it for the first time during Tuesday’s home opener. For a while, it looked like Sportsnet just might. Romano was warming up in the eighth inning with his team up 4-3 on the Detroit Tigers. But Toronto scored five runs in the inning, so Romano didn’t pitch. Their next best chance came Friday, with the Blue Jays trying to halt the Rays’ 13-game winning streak.

The Sportsnet camera was granted access to wait at the bottom of the bullpen stairs, off to the side, and shoot Romano as he was about halfway down the steps and follow him — from about 10 feet behind — as he headed toward the mound.

“We respect that,” Clara said. “He’s got an important job ahead and he’s pretty focused and there is no way, as people covering the game, that we want to influence the game in any way. We just want to capture the moment.”

Romano said Frazao did “a great job” and he “didn’t even notice him.”
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,325

Post#159 » by pilkoids » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bad look for Bass here
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#160 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:28 pm

Lol, what? Bad look for United. How is it possibly a bad look for Bass?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays