General Blue Jays Thread: 2024 Season

Moderator: JaysRule15

Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Re: General Blue Jays Thread pt. 2 

Post#61 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:38 am

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Wasn't Espinal the better player last year? It would be odd to see Espinal go from all-star (which, granted, was a really odd selection to me) to pure backup the next year to make room for Whit Merrifield. Which isn't to say I dislike Merrifield as a player - I actually think he's going to be a really valuable piece this year.

After a hot start, Espinal hit quite poorly from late May on. He might rebound, but Merrifield probably goes into camp was the more likely to get ABs.

Ya as Schad mentioned Espinal began cooling before the All Start break, and with the exception of last year Whit has been a great hitter with the ability to steal bases, which is something expected to be more prominent in the majors this year with the 2 limit pickoff per at-bat, and pitch timer.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#62 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#63 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#64 » by polo007 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#65 » by SharoneWright » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:41 am

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Wasn't Espinal the better player last year? It would be odd to see Espinal go from all-star (which, granted, was a really odd selection to me) to pure backup the next year to make room for Whit Merrifield. Which isn't to say I dislike Merrifield as a player - I actually think he's going to be a really valuable piece this year.

After a hot start, Espinal hit quite poorly from late May on. He might rebound, but Merrifield probably goes into camp was the more likely to get ABs.

Agreed. So,,, there's not enough Whit to go around.

The primary 2nd baseman AND backing up ALL 3 outfielders? (Understanding they can all shift). Subbing for injury. Subbing for rest. Probably not doable for our homie, Whitley D. Merrifield.

So Nathan Lukes gets significant PT? Is Lukes playing 40 games or more+? What do we expect from Nate Lukes? I'm just telling/asking.

Schad wrote:If someone goes down, Merrifield simply moves to the outfield, and Biggio/Espinal (or potentially Barger) backfills his spot.

Not so simple. Barger might be the next thing at 2nd, but in the context of our outfield situation he means nothing. There's also a chance Lukes means nothing. But either he's gonna be a playa in our trajectory this year or we don't have enough outfielders. Right now, Lukes looks like our backfill to me.

I'll tell you one thing. Varsho's not catching more than an emergency inning. Despite any narrative. We are desperate for outfield man hours. We thought our 4th outfielder last year would be Raimel Tapia. He appeared in 128 games. This year our 4th outfielder seems to be our 2nd baseman.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#66 » by hst420 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:45 pm

I have not given up on Biggio being the bigger OPS production from a platoon 2b and part-time outfielder for the Jays.. while I like Santiago and Merrifield --I feel there is a great case to be made for Biggio being a power and on-base lefty who if he can start hot and end up hitting .250 with 20-25 HRs 80 RBIs a break-out offensive season and still good defensively.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#67 » by Schad » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Schad wrote:

Agreed. So,,, there's not enough Whit to go around.

The primary 2nd baseman AND backing up ALL 3 outfielders? (Understanding they can all shift). Subbing for injury. Subbing for rest. Probably not doable for our homie, Whitley D. Merrifield.

So Nathan Lukes gets significant PT? Is Lukes playing 40 games or more+? What do we expect from Nate Lukes? I'm just telling/asking.

Schad wrote:If someone goes down, Merrifield simply moves to the outfield, and Biggio/Espinal (or potentially Barger) backfills his spot.

Not so simple. Barger might be the next thing at 2nd, but in the context of our outfield situation he means nothing. There's also a chance Lukes means nothing. But either he's gonna be a playa in our trajectory this year or we don't have enough outfielders. Right now, Lukes looks like our backfill to me.

I'll tell you one thing. Varsho's not catching more than an emergency inning. Despite any narrative. We are desperate for outfield man hours. We thought our 4th outfielder last year would be Raimel Tapia. He appeared in 128 games. This year our 4th outfielder seems to be our 2nd baseman.

I mean, treat Merrifield as a full-time outfielder, then. Now we're quite deep in OF and still have Espinal/Biggio at 2B, which is adequate if not great.
**** your asterisk.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#68 » by bluerap23 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:38 pm

Don’t sleep on Barger. He will likely get a chance to play some this year to test the waters for 2024 at 3B.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#69 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:03 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Don’t sleep on Barger. He will likely get a chance to play some this year to test the waters for 2024 at 3B.

Agreed. He'll likely be up by mid season if not sooner if he contnues his momentum of last year in Buffalo.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
polo007
General Manager

Post#70 » by polo007 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:33 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#71 » by SharoneWright » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:54 am

So Whit will have more AB's than Espinal.... Fine and good. But not really on point anymore if we're moving Whit to a different position because of need.

But the comparison does reveal the presupposition we all had that Merrifield is our best/default 2nd baseman.

I agree that making Whit a (full-time??) outfielder is the best way to tap into our current roster as constituted. But it's also a net surrender of Merrifield's own relative value on the diamond.

Might be much better to trade Cavan+something for an upside 4th OFer and let Whit do his real thing. imho.

(I get that Whit is older, and you don't usually want to sacrifice youth just to facilitate a roster fix,, but maybe Cavan's time is actually up, especially with the Barger factor..). [There is a logjam at 2nd and a need in the outfield].

I'd pitch Biggio + Barriera +? for Colton Cowser. (Baltimore could use a 2nd baseman). Or something similar etc. I'd also settle for something smaller..LOL
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Schad » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:09 pm

You don't trade major assets for someone like Cowser to put them on the bench, that's just silly. Our depth is totally fine here; we have several people who can play both MI/OF, our top position prospect is in AAA and can MI/OF, and we have another guy in AAA in Otto Lopez who can play MI/OF. This doesn't feel like a situation that demands change.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#73 » by SharoneWright » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:06 am

Schad wrote:You don't trade major assets for someone like Cowser to put them on the bench, that's just silly. Our depth is totally fine here; we have several people who can play both MI/OF, our top position prospect is in AAA and can MI/OF, and we have another guy in AAA in Otto Lopez who can play MI/OF. This doesn't feel like a situation that demands change.

That’s fine. Under duress, I’ll choose to trust that narrative for now. Peace.

But I don’t think it's silly to have Cowser split time in his first year - take Kiermaier’s starter spot next year - and for the next 5 yrs. It’s just an attempt at forward thinking when we have no outfielders. (Or maybe when we don't want to waste Vladdy's or Bo's or Varsho's or Alek's prime years playing Otto Lopez in the outfield!) Anyway, never gonna happen.
polo007
General Manager

Post#74 » by polo007 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#75 » by ItsDanger » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:30 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

As someone who's done corporate restructures, I wish athletes would stay in their lanes. Many transactions have multiple layers.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
polo007
General Manager

Post#76 » by polo007 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Schad » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:08 pm

ItsDanger wrote:As someone who's done corporate restructures, I wish athletes would stay in their lanes. Many transactions have multiple layers.

I'm pretty sure that the compensation paid to athletes for their services is in fact a perfectly reasonable lane for athletes to be in.
**** your asterisk.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#78 » by ItsDanger » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:45 pm

Schad wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:As someone who's done corporate restructures, I wish athletes would stay in their lanes. Many transactions have multiple layers.

I'm pretty sure that the compensation paid to athletes for their services is in fact a perfectly reasonable lane for athletes to be in.

Disagree, they have no idea what they're talking about. It's fine to criticize broadcasters who own the team and similar structures.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
polo007
General Manager

Post#79 » by polo007 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#80 » by Parataxis » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:13 pm

I can't decide if that Gausman jersey is awful, fire, or both.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays