Jays vs Rays - May 22 to 25, 2023

Moderator: JaysRule15

Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,232

Re: Jays vs Rays - May 22 to 25, 2023 

Post#201 » by Mehar » Fri May 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:I think we traded the wrong catcher. Kirk has been a big disappointed so far this season. 7 stolen bases against?? That has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from a catcher.

Meanwhile, Moreno has thrown out over 50% of runners and is hitting the ball at an average clip.

He's outplaying Kirk, Jansen, and Varsho this season. And he's only 23. It looks like we might have gotten fleeced. Who could have seen that coming though?

Moreno is hitting over .300 right now. After a slow first week, he has been hitting well over .300 since that time. That is better than average. Look back at the Trade Thread- myself and many other posters at that time hated the deal. I actually saw Varsho play a few times last year on my package. Great defensive talent, but struck out way too much for my liking, and he has been a bad hitter for 3 years now. His hitting numbers (.235 BA, OBP, OPS) all declined from 2021. The difference between Gurriel and Varsho's outfield defense should not have been trading Gabriel Moreno and his 6 years of control left. I would have hung up the phone right away. What is done is done, but this Moreno trade and the Nick Frasso for Mitch White trade, are two trades that can be lopsided against this franchise in the long-term.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,405

Post#202 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:I think we traded the wrong catcher. Kirk has been a big disappointed so far this season. 7 stolen bases against?? That has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from a catcher.

Meanwhile, Moreno has thrown out over 50% of runners and is hitting the ball at an average clip.

He's outplaying Kirk, Jansen, and Varsho this season. And he's only 23. It looks like we might have gotten fleeced. Who could have seen that coming though?

Moreno is hitting over .300 right now. After a slow first week, he has been hitting well over .300 since that time. That is better than average. Look back at the Trade Thread- myself and many other posters at that time hated the deal. I actually saw Varsho play a few times last year on my package. Great defensive talent, but struck out way too much for my liking, and he has been a bad hitter for 3 years now. His hitting numbers (.235 BA, OBP, OPS) all declined from 2021. The difference between Gurriel and Varsho's outfield defense should not have been trading Gabriel Moreno and his 6 years of control left. I would have hung up the phone right away. What is done is done, but this Moreno trade and the Nick Frasso for Mitch White trade, are two trades that can be lopsided against this franchise in the long-term.

Moreno has no power, hence mediocre overall offensive production (101 wRC+).

I wasn't a fan of the Varsho trade when it happened either, but I was willing to give it a chance before making a judgement. It's still too early to tell, but obviously it doesn't look good for us so far. Varsho isn't a player I'm confident will ever reproduce his 2022 season (I wasn't confident of that when the trade went down either).
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#203 » by linery88 » Fri May 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I wasn't a fan of the Varsho trade when it happened either, but I was willing to give it a chance before making a judgement. It's still too early to tell, but obviously it doesn't look good for us so far. Varsho isn't a player I'm confident will ever reproduce his 2022 season (I wasn't confident of that when the trade went down either).

I hated seeing Guriel go.Didnt know enough about Moreno,but kept hearing great stuff.
Varsho has to bat 7th in this lineup order(The 20 runs order).Way less pressure for him,than batting right after Vlad.

George Springer (R) RF
Bo Bichette (R) SS
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (R) DH
Brandon Belt (L) 1B
Matt Chapman (R) 3B
Whit Merrifield (R) 2B
Daulton Varsho (L) LF
Danny Jansen (R) C
Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#204 » by DelAbbot » Fri May 26, 2023 9:22 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

For some hitters, especially catchers who blossom at the plate late, power is the last to develop. Moreno has the foundation to be a tier 1 starting catcher - at low-cost and 6 years of control. Atkins needs to go back to accounting school to re-learn how to count his beans

Return to Toronto Blue Jays