SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: GT: Nationals @ Jays / Aug 28-30 

Post#261 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:26 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:I still can’t get over Biggio attempting a steal on a 3-0 count there btw. Just bizarre and wouldn’t happen on a serious team. And that’s on the leaders in there (both the manager and the players).

So true… Although, I think you’re laying it on a little bit thick here :lol:

The more I think about it, the dumber it gets. Something is broken in this org.

I was this close to trying to steal home in fastball — where you can’t even lead off… When you have the impulse, you need to act on it!! it’s kind of like swinging at 3-0 when you’re Espinal, and the 8th batter in the last innings when you’re behind in a game that has playoff ramifications. Katie bar the door, YOLO!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,972

Post#262 » by Potential » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:27 am

At the end of the day, the team is ass and that's all that really matters.

Read on Twitter
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,516

Post#263 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:15 am

tripa wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tripa wrote:
You guys legitimately have no idea what a hitting coach does, that much is clear.

Also, lol @ not being able to address roster construction mid-season. Every single word of your post is incorrect.

How do you address roster construction issues mid-season with a barren farm system? Who do you trade?

They traded for Jordan Hicks. They traded for Dejong (disaster). The trade deadline exists for a reason.

Thats how.

Those were insignificant moves. If you want a player who moves the needle, you need to trade quality prospects for him, something we have few of.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#264 » by Parataxis » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:23 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Parataxis wrote:With Kirk as the DH, why the heck wasn't he PRed for???

Looks pretty clear that Belt isn't available for some reason, so they don't have the bench depth to do much of anything. The real question is why are you sending the slowest player in the majors in a 2 run deficit to tag on a medium depth flyball. At best, that's a 50/50 play and even if you score him you still need another run to tie. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't check out at all.

They are an absurdly dumb team.

We had McCoy on the bench as well, no?
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#265 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:35 am

Boogie! wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
tripa wrote:
Finally a reasonable take. This thread is miserable lol.

It can be both at once. Who is going to pick up the deadweight? Will the manager rescue the players, or will the players rescue the manager? Nobody is stepping up.

The manager can't rescue stars from slumping or not performing up to expectations. Like I said there are certain team sports like basketball where chemistry is key. Guys have to play together, the coach can run certain plays to make guys more effective. When vladdy is up to bat in the clutch what is John Schneider gonna do hold his hand and swing with him? Yell things like "you got this vlad we believe in you?" He can't make guys hit or improve their hand eye coordination, strike zone recognition and plate discipline. Thats individual player ability.

Managers can hold players accountable for poor performance.

Managers can lose the locker room by constantly making mistakes that cost the team wins.

Hitting coaches can help change a hitter's approach at the plate.

When literally almost every single position player on your roster is having a down year, coaching might just be an issue.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,353

Post#266 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:18 am

Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Parataxis wrote:With Kirk as the DH, why the heck wasn't he PRed for???

Looks pretty clear that Belt isn't available for some reason, so they don't have the bench depth to do much of anything. The real question is why are you sending the slowest player in the majors in a 2 run deficit to tag on a medium depth flyball. At best, that's a 50/50 play and even if you score him you still need another run to tie. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't check out at all.

They are an absurdly dumb team.

We had McCoy on the bench as well, no?

Apparently they did. I assumed he wasn't there because they ended up putting Biggio at shortstop, which he basically hasn't done as a professional baseball player.

The optimal move in that spot is pinch running, but I understand the inclination not to given that they were down two runs and had a short bench (Schneider also got burned a few days ago in extras by pinch running D. Schneider which likely played into it). It's a conservative play, but sure, you get to keep Kirk's bat in the lineup that way and also keep a pinch running option available for the 9th. What I simply don't understand is taking a massive risk right after that to score that very run with the worst baserunner in baseball in a two run game. The manager's conservative decision simply doesn't match up with Rivera's/Kirk's incredibly risky decision on the bases.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,640

Post#267 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:23 am

Boogie! wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
tripa wrote:
Scheduled days off are determined by the front office. Thank you for proving my point.

“Cool, fire them too”. Thanks for reading my post.

So your reactionary logic now is just get rid of everyone... but you get butthurt when I give players stupid nicknames like blowmano. I'm sure you're cool with shatkins though because it's "deserved."

You are a gigantic **** baby. Like MAGA levels of unearned victimhood. See a therapist instead of posting.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#268 » by hyper316 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Taking my kids to today's afternoon game, first time for them. Bought them Blue Jays youth caps weeks ago and they have been looking forward to it. Let's get a win today!
Tustari
Junior
And1: 320

Post#269 » by Tustari » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:06 pm

Man letting Teoscar go is looking worse and worse as time progresses; especially with this anemic offence. I can’t see how anyone can have faith in this FO anymore
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#270 » by dagger » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Why is Davis Schneider the only guy on this team who can pull the ball in the air?

Probably because Guillermo Martinez hasn’t had enough time to screw up his approach

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#271 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:26 pm

hyper316 wrote:Taking my kids to today's afternoon game, first time for them. Bought them Blue Jays youth caps weeks ago and they have been looking forward to it. Let's get a win today!

If they win you have to go to every game for the rest of the year. Those are the rules.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#272 » by dagger » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:43 pm

Tustari wrote:Man letting Teoscar go is looking worse and worse as time progresses; especially with this anemic offence. I can’t see how anyone can have faith in this FO anymore

On one level, it bites. It will bite less this offseason when he signs a new contract somewhere.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#273 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:51 pm

dagger wrote:
Tustari wrote:Man letting Teoscar go is looking worse and worse as time progresses; especially with this anemic offence. I can’t see how anyone can have faith in this FO anymore

On one level, it bites. It will bite less this offseason when he signs a new contract somewhere.

I have been very much ok not watching him **** in the outfield twice a game.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#274 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:50 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
dagger wrote:

I have been very much ok not watching him **** in the outfield twice a game.

Yeah, his defence really brings down his impact.

Teo: 1.7 fWAR

Varsho: 1.6 fWAR
Springer: 1.7 fWAR
Kiermaier: 1.8 fWAR

His offensive production is also down this year.

We need better players on this team, but Teo is not the answer.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,353

Post#275 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:55 pm

Belt still down today. Check out the garbage lineup they're throwing out.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#276 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:35 pm

No reason not to have Jansen as DH, and both Kiermaier and Springer in the Outfield. I do not understand the rationale for giving Rest Days to Kiermaier and Jansen, when you are down 3 regulars already. Biggio is a terrible Right Fielder also. Never expected to see Varsho-Clement-Espinal-Biggio as your bottom 4. People are saying this is the front office making the lineup and making the call on rest days, and Schneider is just a puppet. If that is the case, get rid of the clowns in the front office. Not a serious organization. Hopefully, this lineup can produce at least 2-3 runs, and do not get Shut Out by the Nationals.
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#277 » by StringerBell » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:35 pm

Are Keirmaier and Jansen injured? OF should be Varsho/KK/Springer with Whitt at second, Babe at 3rd and Jansen DH'ing.... no need to play Espinal and Biggio. This really isn't that hard.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#278 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:38 pm

StringerBell wrote:Are Keirmaier and Jansen injured? OF should be Varsho/KK/Springer with Whitt at second, Babe at 3rd and Jansen DH'ing.... no need to play Espinal and Biggio. This really isn't that hard.

Rest days for Jansen and Kiermaier, when you are down 3 regulars already. Lineup makes no sense starting both Espinal and Biggio. If the front office is making these calls, and Schneider is merely a puppet like some suggest- Rogers needs to clean house with the Front Office.
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#279 » by StringerBell » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Mehar wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Are Keirmaier and Jansen injured? OF should be Varsho/KK/Springer with Whitt at second, Babe at 3rd and Jansen DH'ing.... no need to play Espinal and Biggio. This really isn't that hard.

Rest days for Jansen and Kiermaier, when you are down 3 regulars already. Lineup makes no sense starting both Espinal and Biggio. If the front office is making these calls, and Schneider is merely a puppet like some suggest- Rogers needs to clean house with the Front Office.

Agreed. Not to mention putting Whitt in the clean up spot...like do these guys not want to win? Less than 30 games left, chasing a playoff spot and these guys are giving out rest days?
Mehar
Analyst

Post#280 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:32 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Mehar wrote:

Agreed. Not to mention putting Whitt in the clean up spot...like do these guys not want to win? Less than 30 games left, chasing a playoff spot and these guys are giving out rest days?

Giving out Rest days to Kiermaier and Jansen, when the team has a day off tomorrow. Absolute joke to see Biggio in Right Field when he is a terrible outfielder, and to see Clement/Espinal/Biggio as your bottom three. Whitt as Clean Up hitter makes no sense also.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays