ImageImageImageImageImage

Rangers @ Jays / Sept 11-14

Moderator: JaysRule15

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Re: Rangers @ Jays / Sept 11-14 

Post#681 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:21 pm

dagger wrote:Toronto's major pros teams (sorry CFL, MLS) are all on treadmills. The usual response to getting off the treadmill is to take a step back for a year or two, dump some older assets, bulk up through a draft or trade, etc etc, then hopefully begin moving forward and eventually passing where the team is today.

With the Leafs, they are living a high enough treadmill that tinkering in a hard-salary-cap league might get them a fair bit further in the playoffs. I don't expect the organization to take a step back, not for the coming season or even the one after.

With the Raptors, they ought to deal off Siakam or OG for draft capital or prospects. At least in the NBA, one good draft can have a restorative effect. Indiana has had a pair of good drafts and a nice trade acquisition (Haliburton) and looks like it sabot to get off its treadmill and move up.

The Jays are in a harder spot. The farm system isn't as bad as some here think, but it doesn't offer an instant remedy. As a middle-of-the-pack treadmill team the past few years, they aren't drafting high enough to get a kind of strong, even instant turnaround prospects like, say Baltimore has. And there is no way Rogers is going to allow the team to undergo such a strip-down rebuild. The modus operandi of this management in maintaining a treadmill team has been to rely on free agency and trades much more than generating internal replacements. Recently, they have traded away the team's top prospect as well as two recent first round picks for Berrios (a good use of prospect capital),Varsho (a bad use of prospect capital) and Chapman (good use of prospect capital with rapidly declining value, Hoglund may yet excel). The previous regime didn't even draft as well and traded away prospects liberally, but lucked into incredible career rebounds by Bautista and Encarnation. Both were basically discards. Then AA traded for Donaldson (solid) and away the team went! And he stripped down the farm system (another first rounder dumped) to try to get over the top. It was a lot more fun, and the offence had character and excitement, from bat flips to parrots. But its long-term effect was to keep the team in contention for two seasons, then the burdens he placed on the organization, like Tulo's monster dead money, forced a sort of rebuild.

The key to getting off the treadmill, to be the Astros or Braves or Dodgers - teams that never take a big step back from contention, only small ones for shorter periods, is internal development, prioritizing getting more good prospects and getting more of them to the major league level before dealing off prospects from surpluses to put the cherry on the sundae. But if you are an organization in a rush to keep raising ticket prices and keeping big crowds in the building, you act impatiently. Impatience is a great way to remain on a treadmill.

Now, would I blow this team up? It's harder in baseball because you can't trade a star for draft picks. You can trade for prospects, but the best available package might not address the weaknesses in the developmental pipeline as opposed to having more high draft picks to make your own choices. Another team's prospect package might just create or worsen bottlenecks that impact playing time.

The Jays system is weak on right handed pitching prospects and lacks a good centre fielder. It's got some decent left-handed pitching prospects (Tiedemann, Macko and Barriera if he's fit). Landen Maraudis is the highest ranked RHP and he's 18, so far away from the major.

So my thoughts? The lynchpin is Orelvis Martinez. I would dump all the older veteran position players except Springer because were stuck with his deal and Kiermaier if wants another short term deal. So, bye to Whit, Belt and Chapman. I wouldn't go out and sign pricey free agents unless they offer sufficient value, and in the case of third base, with such a poor quality/quantity out there, I'd rather figure it out with internal candidates. I'd look at Davis Schneider as a left fielder/occasional second baseman, and let Martinez and Addison Barger have at the 2B and 3B jobs. If the team takes a step back, so be it, it still won't be a big one. The Jays must think a lot of both of them, because so far, Atkins isn't willing to screw with their service time.

Both New Hampshire and Buffalo have had no trouble grinding out runs, even when players have been promoted off the roster. Their hitting coaches - Matt Hague and Mitch Huckabay – are young and very well-regarded, and I'd bring them both up next season to replace Guillermo Martinez and Hudgens. Hague has major league playing experience, Huckabay is kind of a coaching phenom whom the Jays plucked from an assistant's role at Sam Houston University two years ago. For that matter, all of the hitting coaches down through Dunedin have a case for promotion, and there might be someone in a development role who also merits consideration.

For that reason, I'm not trading Vlad. I want to see what a different set of eyes and a different approach can do for him At the beginning of the minor league season, Orelvis Martinez was a one-trick pony with a ton of power and a huge K rate, reflecting little appreciation for the strike zone and how to manage an at bat for better effect. He was falling off the top prospect radar, threatening to become a $4 million bonus baby bust. But the coaching and development staff worked on hm, getting him to use the whole field and take what pitchers give him. As his season turned around, his HR rate slowed a bit but his overall offensive contribution increased, and his top prospect value was restored. He had a terrible April and a meh May, but since then, his overall game improvement has been strong. There is a question of which infield position he can fill, some think he can handle 3B, others suggest he would be best at 2B. I mean, he's not a defensive wizard, but probably adequate. He has to work more hitting right handers, so there would continue to be a learning curve in the majors, but if the team ever wants off the treadmill without a full, multi-year rebuild, it has to be serious about prioritizing the introduction of guys like him. Here's his grand slam from last night. He also had a double.

https://www.milb.com/video/orelvis-martinez-s-grand-slam?t=milb-default-vtp

Depending on how the team views the offseason - try to plug holes with trades/free agents or go with prospects and recent callups - would decide whether I would bring back John Schneider. If it's to be a veteran team again, get rid of Schneider. With a younger team, I go with him for one more season unless someone like Kevin Cash hits the market. If. the Jays are lucky, they might over achieve with youth and I think a low expectations season working in young guys is a better situation for Schneider than a team comprised largely of mercenary older veterans.

bruh , whats the TL;DR version of this? :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,230

Post#682 » by Madvillainy2004 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:32 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:I mean I liked what they did in terms of being creative with the money being pushed around and got the pitching to work for majority of the season. The entire outfield defense went from below average to one of the best. Pitching has been outstanding to say the least. even our bullpen on most nights looks like one of the best too.

And just looking at Moreno trade as the most bitter thing they did in a transaction in recent times, Moreno isn’t franchise player like a top prospect should be (still probably a potential top 5 catcher in the league by all means) they were trying to be very creative to say the least.

And I thought we diversified enough of our offense that hitting bombs wasn’t the only thing this team could do. We have significantly better base running this year outside of Kirk. Yes our third base coach was a fool to begin the season at times, as well.

but the downfall of Vladdy, Springer, and Chapman in the same season, heck even Espinal though he hasn't played good baseball in like a year, was too much to overcome. i mean Bichette's numbers seem to be okay with improved fielding too this year! but Vladdy's defense has gone down a bit.

i mean would new mgmt even try to trade Vladdy, even for a large package?

I'm asking the same question in my dynasty league. But trading him at his lowest value point when a lot of his big stats (EV, hard contact etc) is still pretty status quo.

I don't think there's much point unless the package is huge.

1. I would maybe even entertain a star for star trade.
2. Maybe even let Vladdy play third if that helps him spruce up his mojo at the plate.

I get the mental aspect of moving him to 3rd to like change things up but the last thing the Jays defense/pitching needs is Vlad Jr at 3rd base lmao
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,524

Post#683 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:40 pm

Now is not the time to trade Vlad. Unless you think he’s going to get worse. I can’t imagine his trade value diminishing more.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#684 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:51 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
I'm asking the same question in my dynasty league. But trading him at his lowest value point when a lot of his big stats (EV, hard contact etc) is still pretty status quo.

I don't think there's much point unless the package is huge.

1. I would maybe even entertain a star for star trade.
2. Maybe even let Vladdy play third if that helps him spruce up his mojo at the plate.

I get the mental aspect of moving him to 3rd to like change things up but the last thing the Jays defense/pitching needs is Vlad Jr at 3rd base lmao

not right now, but next year. this is foregone conclusion that we are where we are this year and basically the only thing we can do is mess around with the lineup.

Merrifield
Bichette
Vladdy
Springer
Schneider

seems like Vladdy needs 'protection'

other things i've heard was put Kiermeier at leadoff lol.

you know what. the current Jays roster is not even producing, might as well switch things up.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,220

Post#685 » by LLJ » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:33 pm

C Court wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL, it's always "fire everyone but Pete Walker." Even though our pitching has been one of the better aspects of this team THIS YEAR*, I'd still like to try a new look. Over 10 years with this guy and I feel like we could do better
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#686 » by Mehar » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:40 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:1. I would maybe even entertain a star for star trade.

not right now, but next year. this is foregone conclusion that we are where we are this year and basically the only thing we can do is mess around with the lineup.

Merrifield
Bichette
Vladdy
Springer
Schneider

you know what. the current Jays roster is not even producing, might as well switch things up.

Merrifield has a 18 million mutual option. He will not be back. Jays will buy him out for 500 K. I agree Bichette, Guerrero, Springer (because of his contract) and Schneider will be back in the lineup. I would target Teoscar Hernandez to be a DH in the off-season, to hit behind Vlad. Varsho will be back, since he has 3 years of Arbitration left and can provide solid defense at CF. Just have to live with his terrible bat. Any other spots will be up for discussion, including third base, LF, and possibly even Catcher. Jansen has a year left in his deal before he is a free agent. Hopefully Jays can work out a decent price on a possible extension. Not sure what the market is for Kirk, but the ideal time to deal him was last off-season coming off his All-Star berth. I would still try to see what the market might be for him.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#687 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:48 pm

Mehar wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:

Merrifield
Bichette
Vladdy
Springer
Schneider

Merrifield has a 18 million mutual option. He will not be back. Jays will buy him out for 500 K. I agree Bichette, Guerrero, Springer (because of his contract) and Schneider will be back in the lineup. I would target Teoscar Hernandez to be a DH in the off-season, to hit behind Vlad. Varsho will be back, since he has 3 years of Arbitration left and can provide solid defense at CF. Just have to live with his terrible bat. Any other spots will be up for discussion, including third base, LF, and possibly even Catcher. Jansen has a year left in his deal before he is a free agent. Hopefully Jays can work out a decent price on a possible extension. Not sure what the market is for Kirk, but the ideal time to deal him was last off-season coming off his All-Star berth. I would still try to see what the market might be for him.

i was talking about changing the lineup for the rest of this year. whatever that can help Vladdy.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,640

Post#688 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:51 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
dagger wrote:
Spoiler:
Toronto's major pros teams (sorry CFL, MLS) are all on treadmills. The usual response to getting off the treadmill is to take a step back for a year or two, dump some older assets, bulk up through a draft or trade, etc etc, then hopefully begin moving forward and eventually passing where the team is today.

With the Leafs, they are living a high enough treadmill that tinkering in a hard-salary-cap league might get them a fair bit further in the playoffs. I don't expect the organization to take a step back, not for the coming season or even the one after.

With the Raptors, they ought to deal off Siakam or OG for draft capital or prospects. At least in the NBA, one good draft can have a restorative effect. Indiana has had a pair of good drafts and a nice trade acquisition (Haliburton) and looks like it sabot to get off its treadmill and move up.

The Jays are in a harder spot. The farm system isn't as bad as some here think, but it doesn't offer an instant remedy. As a middle-of-the-pack treadmill team the past few years, they aren't drafting high enough to get a kind of strong, even instant turnaround prospects like, say Baltimore has. And there is no way Rogers is going to allow the team to undergo such a strip-down rebuild. The modus operandi of this management in maintaining a treadmill team has been to rely on free agency and trades much more than generating internal replacements. Recently, they have traded away the team's top prospect as well as two recent first round picks for Berrios (a good use of prospect capital),Varsho (a bad use of prospect capital) and Chapman (good use of prospect capital with rapidly declining value, Hoglund may yet excel). The previous regime didn't even draft as well and traded away prospects liberally, but lucked into incredible career rebounds by Bautista and Encarnation. Both were basically discards. Then AA traded for Donaldson (solid) and away the team went! And he stripped down the farm system (another first rounder dumped) to try to get over the top. It was a lot more fun, and the offence had character and excitement, from bat flips to parrots. But its long-term effect was to keep the team in contention for two seasons, then the burdens he placed on the organization, like Tulo's monster dead money, forced a sort of rebuild.

The key to getting off the treadmill, to be the Astros or Braves or Dodgers - teams that never take a big step back from contention, only small ones for shorter periods, is internal development, prioritizing getting more good prospects and getting more of them to the major league level before dealing off prospects from surpluses to put the cherry on the sundae. But if you are an organization in a rush to keep raising ticket prices and keeping big crowds in the building, you act impatiently. Impatience is a great way to remain on a treadmill.

Now, would I blow this team up? It's harder in baseball because you can't trade a star for draft picks. You can trade for prospects, but the best available package might not address the weaknesses in the developmental pipeline as opposed to having more high draft picks to make your own choices. Another team's prospect package might just create or worsen bottlenecks that impact playing time.

The Jays system is weak on right handed pitching prospects and lacks a good centre fielder. It's got some decent left-handed pitching prospects (Tiedemann, Macko and Barriera if he's fit). Landen Maraudis is the highest ranked RHP and he's 18, so far away from the major.

So my thoughts? The lynchpin is Orelvis Martinez. I would dump all the older veteran position players except Springer because were stuck with his deal and Kiermaier if wants another short term deal. So, bye to Whit, Belt and Chapman. I wouldn't go out and sign pricey free agents unless they offer sufficient value, and in the case of third base, with such a poor quality/quantity out there, I'd rather figure it out with internal candidates. I'd look at Davis Schneider as a left fielder/occasional second baseman, and let Martinez and Addison Barger have at the 2B and 3B jobs. If the team takes a step back, so be it, it still won't be a big one. The Jays must think a lot of both of them, because so far, Atkins isn't willing to screw with their service time.

Both New Hampshire and Buffalo have had no trouble grinding out runs, even when players have been promoted off the roster. Their hitting coaches - Matt Hague and Mitch Huckabay – are young and very well-regarded, and I'd bring them both up next season to replace Guillermo Martinez and Hudgens. Hague has major league playing experience, Huckabay is kind of a coaching phenom whom the Jays plucked from an assistant's role at Sam Houston University two years ago. For that matter, all of the hitting coaches down through Dunedin have a case for promotion, and there might be someone in a development role who also merits consideration.

For that reason, I'm not trading Vlad. I want to see what a different set of eyes and a different approach can do for him At the beginning of the minor league season, Orelvis Martinez was a one-trick pony with a ton of power and a huge K rate, reflecting little appreciation for the strike zone and how to manage an at bat for better effect. He was falling off the top prospect radar, threatening to become a $4 million bonus baby bust. But the coaching and development staff worked on hm, getting him to use the whole field and take what pitchers give him. As his season turned around, his HR rate slowed a bit but his overall offensive contribution increased, and his top prospect value was restored. He had a terrible April and a meh May, but since then, his overall game improvement has been strong. There is a question of which infield position he can fill, some think he can handle 3B, others suggest he would be best at 2B. I mean, he's not a defensive wizard, but probably adequate. He has to work more hitting right handers, so there would continue to be a learning curve in the majors, but if the team ever wants off the treadmill without a full, multi-year rebuild, it has to be serious about prioritizing the introduction of guys like him. Here's his grand slam from last night. He also had a double.

https://www.milb.com/video/orelvis-martinez-s-grand-slam?t=milb-default-vtp

Depending on how the team views the offseason - try to plug holes with trades/free agents or go with prospects and recent callups - would decide whether I would bring back John Schneider. If it's to be a veteran team again, get rid of Schneider. With a younger team, I go with him for one more season unless someone like Kevin Cash hits the market. If. the Jays are lucky, they might over achieve with youth and I think a low expectations season working in young guys is a better situation for Schneider than a team comprised largely of mercenary older veterans.

bruh , whats the TL;DR version of this? :lol:

9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,230

Post#689 » by Madvillainy2004 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:57 pm

God this offense is just painful
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#690 » by JN » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:46 am

Cleveland's Lucas Giolito who has been awful since the trade deadline with an ERA of nearly 8.00 (34 runs in 39 innings) has managed to tame the Rangers offence tonight. (0 runs, 1 hit, 11K's in 6 innings)
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#691 » by Raider917 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:03 am

Guerrero did look better last night. I heard Barker comment on how hes guessing slider instead of fastball when hes at bat. if this is true, it makes the coaching staff look bad. i cant believe mattingly wouldnt see something like this.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,517

Post#692 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:55 am

LLJ wrote:
C Court wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL, it's always "fire everyone but Pete Walker." Even though our pitching has been one of the better aspects of this team THIS YEAR*, I'd still like to try a new look. Over 10 years with this guy and I feel like we could do better

I was on the fire Pete Walker train until this season, but he's earned another go.

Everyone else though, especially Atkins Schneider, Martinez, and Hudgens, need to GTFO. I would also get rid of Shapiro, but Ed won't do that. At the very least, I hope he is no longer allowed to manage baseball operations.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#693 » by greekman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:37 am

they only play 2 teams the rest of the way. if they can take 2 of the 4 series that could be enough.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays