ImageImageImageImageImage

Increased Base Stealing

Moderator: JaysRule15

Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Increased Base Stealing 

Post#1 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:23 am

We have some decent speed with Reed, Vernon, Royce and even Hill, and though last year we didn't even make a true effort to steal bases it seems it's more in our mindset this year.

I believe one of the keys to victory in the season opener was the stolen bases as it put our runners into scoring position on a 12 time (I think) Gold Glove Winner behind the plate. If we can steal 2/2 against Pudge, we can do it against the entire AL.

Obviously stealing bases has its downfall, aka more outs. but do you think over the long run it will help us win or lose more games?
rdua
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#2 » by rdua » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:30 am

I don't think it fits in with current roster. Why take the chance of taking the bat out of the hands of guys like Glaus, Wells, Thomas, Rios, Overbay, etc?

At the same time, it is situational. In a tie game with the bottom of the order coming up, you have to take the chance if a runner gets on. Also, you see a lot more strategizing in the NL with one of the spots being taken by the pitchers which can sometimes be absolute rally killers.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:33 am

I disagree with rd here, as I think it is a plus especially with our lineup. Even though we have a lot of home run threats, if they arent going out of the park they are driving it to the outfield. You wont see anyone score from first on a long single, but our quicker guys can score from 2nd.

You do have to pick your spots. You dont want to try it out in the late innings when the other team can just intentionally walk the batter when 1st becomes open to keep the double play in check.
Twitter: @NickObergan
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:56 pm

I think that we should run less, not more. No need to run ourselves out of innings when our 'speedsters' are marginal but we have a lot of power in the order.

It doesn't sound exciting but waiting for the 3-run homer is still a sound strategy with this team.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
rdua
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#5 » by rdua » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:48 pm

The_Hater wrote:I think that we should run less, not more. No need to run ourselves out of innings when our 'speedsters' are marginal but we have a lot of power in the order.

It doesn't sound exciting but waiting for the 3-run homer is still a sound strategy with this team.

That's key...none of the guys on our roster are going to steal 40 bases (we didn't even have anyone steal 20 last season). I think a lot of our current players have larger frames (or bodies) and although they are quick it takes them a while to get going or their speed is generated by their longer legs.

It's a different situation if you have someone that can cause chaos on the basepaths like a Reyes, Pierre, or Ramirez. These guys just have a natural basestealing ability.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#6 » by evilRyu » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:10 pm

i don't really consider Reed Johnson a "speeder"... he's the type of guy who does anything possible to get on base.....
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#7 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:49 pm

I'm going to agree with most here by saying that we don't need to steal bases to score runs. We have powerd in the middle and when the top or the bottom of the line up guys steal bases it opens up a base to get around guys like Glaus, Thomas and Wells to get to guys like Zaun, Clayton and Hill
Ocho Cinco
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Ocho Cinco » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:08 pm

I'd like to see what Clayton can do on the basepaths (I'm really not too familiar with his abilities) but I don't think I want Reed Johnson trying to steal bases. He's not what I'd consider a speedster.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#9 » by evilRyu » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:10 pm

We need TJ Ford to do some base stealing
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#10 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:43 pm

You don't need to be a speed demon to steal bases; a lot of it is IQ, jump timing, the pitcher's delivery and catchers arm.
trevc3
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#11 » by trevc3 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:57 pm

Interesting article in the Star about our base stealing today

I love situational baseball so I think stealing is a great thing to have in a team's arsenal.
energizerk2
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#12 » by energizerk2 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:42 am

With all the big bats in our lineup I don't think there will be an increase of SBs for the Jays this season. In past seasons we resorted to playing smallball more and manufacturing runs but this year I'd rather have our sluggers drive them in. I'd like to have a little more speed in our lineup but I'm happy with what we have.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#13 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:06 am

rdua wrote:I don't think it fits in with current roster.

Invert that.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,906

Post#14 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:40 pm

Reed Johnson did steal a lot of bases in the minors, IIRC. Obviously, once he came to the bigs he went to a team that didn't want to run, but he still might be able to steal 20+ if given the green light. By biggest thing with SB's is the percentage. In 1998, Tim Johnson used to give the green light to everyone. Jose Canseco hurt the team every time he got on base due to his quest to be 30/30. He stole 29 bases but had a 63% success rate. Considering he was hitting ahead of Delgado, it made no sense and ran the team out of potentially big innings for no reason.

My suggestion: be economical with the base stealing. Use the right guy and use the right situation. Don't run yourself out of innings. We don't have a Carl Crawford type.
2009NBAChamps
Rookie
And1: 42

Post#15 » by 2009NBAChamps » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:53 pm

This isn't a strength for the jays... sure we have guys that COULD steal bases but why take the chance when we have such good bats?

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more hit and run plays but with Glaus and Thomas there either HR or K most of the time... especially with Glaus so that makes it even harder to run if the guys not going to make contact with the ball...

Just a risk not worth taking too much this year IMO
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#16 » by OldNo7 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:16 pm

Why take the risk? Well, why think that every at bat will be a home run? Singles and doubles are more frequent and you need guys in scoring position to score on those.

I am not saying steal at every opportunity, pick your spots. Pick the appropriate player and time to do so.
Twitter: @NickObergan

Return to Toronto Blue Jays