ImageImageImageImageImage

Anyone else feel hopeless?

Moderator: JaysRule15

SDM
RealGM
And1: 950

Post#61 » by SDM » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:48 pm

When we won the World Series both times, we had the highest payroll in the league. We also had the most merchandise sales and the most ticket sales.

This is a concept Ted Rogers doesn't understand with his cute little half-empty stadium.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#62 » by Pchu » Mon Oct 1, 2007 9:02 pm

As long as JP is the GM, there is no chance of the Jays ever winning.

What has he done in the past 6 years? His accomplishments?

When he started, he promised he will build a strong farm system and draft good prospects and be fiscal responsible in terms of budget.

Then, he complained that he will never win without a decent payroll.

After he got a decent payroll, he complained about injuries/players not performing up to expectation.

He is a fraud. Ted Rogers is blind if he doesn't see that.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#63 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Oct 2, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm feeling better about the Jays now. Our major problems were our pitching at the beginning of the year, the big bats being hampered by injuries, and the bullpen did not look good.

The pitching staff has seemed to round out with 4 quality starters. I'm feeling better about Burnett too. Especially after I heard he started to pitch more like Doc. He has a great arm, and you don't give up on a player like that, but hopefully he'll stay healthy. In addition to the bullpen coming around, I feel a lot more confident in our pitching than I have before and the probable return of BJ Ryan will only help.

We had a lot of injuries this season. Wells, Glaus, Overbay, Zaun, Johnson, Ryan. 3 were all-stars the year before. When these guys played, they did horrible. Probably because they were hurt or still hurt after returning. The reason why our record was half way decent, was becasue our callups and replacements played great.

If our bats can bounce back to form we should seriously contend in the East or at least the Wild Card.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 950

Post#64 » by SDM » Wed Oct 3, 2007 12:10 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:I'm feeling better about the Jays now. Our major problems were our pitching at the beginning of the year, the big bats being hampered by injuries, and the bullpen did not look good.

The pitching staff has seemed to round out with 4 quality starters. I'm feeling better about Burnett too. Especially after I heard he started to pitch more like Doc. He has a great arm, and you don't give up on a player like that, but hopefully he'll stay healthy. In addition to the bullpen coming around, I feel a lot more confident in our pitching than I have before and the probable return of BJ Ryan will only help.

We had a lot of injuries this season. Wells, Glaus, Overbay, Zaun, Johnson, Ryan. 3 were all-stars the year before. When these guys played, they did horrible. Probably because they were hurt or still hurt after returning. The reason why our record was half way decent, was becasue our callups and replacements played great.

If our bats can bounce back to form we should seriously contend in the East or at least the Wild Card.

I am in love with the pitching staff. I've read quotes from a handful of players who state that from top to bottom, our staff is one of the best. We had some injury trouble too, with Ryan, Halladay, Burnett, and Marcum all missing time. Chacin, at this point, is an afterthought. Let him take his 5.00ERA elsewhere.

Hitting is the problem. Working the count, drawing walks, and waiting for someone to drive them home isn't working and it tends to fail when players return from injuries and want to get out of slumps. Overbay, Thomas, Glaus, Zaun, and others all slow the game to a crawl.

I'm just echoing Scott Carson's recent column. He was dead on.
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Re: Anyone else feel hopeless? 

Post#65 » by kelso » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Not one Blue Jay in the Top 100 RBI leaders in all of baseball. Wells, Rios, Rolen, Hill, Overbay- all with brutal power numbers and nothing much else to show for their seasons to date, albeit injuries for a few of them. They are completely wasting the best pitching performance by a Jays team in franchise history and the rest of the Al East has been flat to say the least. What a blown opportunity to make hay and lead the division.

Everyone is screaming for John Gibbons' head, but I think he's done a good job of changing his approach to previous seasons. I think the one that has to go is JP. This is classic to the Leafs and JFJ- he thinks more of what he has then what it's really worth and he's made brutal talent/contract decisions. Wells contract will be an albatross for this franchise, as will BJ Ryan's and we are getting NOTHING from the farm. when is the last time someone JP drafted camew to the big club and contributed?

Time to go in another direction with someone new.
whiterasta80
Analyst
And1: 10

Re: Anyone else feel hopeless? 

Post#66 » by whiterasta80 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:02 pm

kelso wrote:Everyone is screaming for John Gibbons' head, but I think he's done a good job of changing his approach to previous seasons. I think the one that has to go is JP. This is classic to the Leafs and JFJ- he thinks more of what he has then what it's really worth and he's made brutal talent/contract decisions. Wells contract will be an albatross for this franchise, as will BJ Ryan's and we are getting NOTHING from the farm. when is the last time someone JP drafted camew to the big club and contributed?

Time to go in another direction with someone new.

Wow, you think JFJ was making the decisions for the Leafs? You have more faith than I do.

On to the topic at hand, Marcum and Litsch are JP draft picks and are certainly contributing. Our hitters are probably a couple years away, but since 2006 I haven't had a problem with JP's draft record (Snider, Cecil, Eiland, Arencebia, and Ahrens should all be in the show eventually). Its the trades and FA signings that I have a problem with, and I'll never forgive him for that Wells contract.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays