Wiretap: CC to be traded?

Moderator: JaysRule15

OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Wiretap: CC to be traded? 

Post#1 » by OldNo7 » Tue May 1, 2007 2:54 pm

I have always loved Sabathia, but I think its apparent we dont have any pieces that Cleveland would want for him, aside from Rios most likely. That, and can we even afford to pay him? Likely not, but thought some might like to discuss the pipedream with me.
Twitter: @NickObergan
whiterasta80
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#2 » by whiterasta80 » Tue May 1, 2007 8:32 pm

I'll give up Rios for him. He's a legit STUD, and he's a lefty. No we don't have anyone who can take Rios' place in the field right now, but Lind looks like he can hold his own, and Johnson will be back before TOO long.

Sabathia would instantly become our #2 with Burnett becoming one of the best 3's in baseball.

I say Rios + Towers (they should have to take some salary) + Purcey or McGowan (whomever they prefer). Even that might not be enough-- but God he's good.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#3 » by NeverGoingToWin » Tue May 1, 2007 10:08 pm

whiterasta80 wrote:I'll give up Rios for him. He's a legit STUD, and he's a lefty. No we don't have anyone who can take Rios' place in the field right now, but Lind looks like he can hold his own, and Johnson will be back before TOO long.

Sabathia would instantly become our #2 with Burnett becoming one of the best 3's in baseball.

I say Rios + Towers (they should have to take some salary) + Purcey or McGowan (whomever they prefer). Even that might not be enough-- but God he's good.

I would be okay with that deal but like you do not think that would be enough for them. We had to give up a similar package to get Overbay and CC is worth more then him.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#4 » by aligator » Wed May 2, 2007 12:33 pm

The propsed trade would be fair as is as Rios has more years of control on his contract. Do not agree that the propsed package would be similar to that given for Overbay. Rios appears to be a potential star in waiting while Gross is likely not going to be a major league starter.

Obviously, we need another starting pitcher but with the bad luck the club has had so far this year I'm not sure this is the time to sell the farm to get one. One has to be patient to wait for the right deal to come along or become more lucky in free agency next year. OTOH, the plethora of draft picks this June should replenish the system should we decide to trade some prospects away.
beater97
Starter
And1: 2

Post#5 » by beater97 » Thu May 3, 2007 9:14 pm

If there was a chance that CC could come to TO I would be all over that right away even if it means giving up some good young players.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#6 » by B Mac » Fri May 4, 2007 1:01 am

First of all this story was just New York media making things up like they always do. The article lists that the Indians will look to trade CC if they falter down the stretch. Well they currently have the best record in baseball. Theres still a lot of baseball left to play, but thats not looking to good for potential suiters.

Secondly the Indians would have NO reason to trade him when you consider that his contract runs through next year as well. That doesnt make sense either.

Third, I find it awfully funny that this New York "journalist" found this piece of info when nothing like this has been found by members of the Cleveland media when they are around the team every day. You would have thought one of them would have said something regarding this if this came up. Also its funny that CC magically became an option when the Yankees were in dire need of a pitcher. They love to make things up.

Finally, about a package in return for CC. Here's what the Indians got in return for Bartolo Colon when they traded him a few years ago. Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens. Sabathia is a lefty, younger, and a flat out better pitcher than Colon was when he was with Cleveland, the return for CC will be at least equal to that if not better. The Blue Jays may not be willing to give that good of a deal, but some team will, and the Indians would be fools to not get a package like that in return.

Hope that clears it up. Im sure being in the same division and all you are used to the New York media, but this is definately a case of them making something out of nothing.
whiterasta80
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#7 » by whiterasta80 » Fri May 4, 2007 8:04 pm

B Mac wrote:Finally, about a package in return for CC. Here's what the Indians got in return for Bartolo Colon when they traded him a few years ago. Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens. Sabathia is a lefty, younger, and a flat out better pitcher than Colon was when he was with Cleveland, the return for CC will be at least equal to that if not better. The Blue Jays may not be willing to give that good of a deal, but some team will, and the Indians would be fools to not get a package like that in return.

hehe... I assure you the Blue Jays would be willing to give that good of a deal... I'm just not sure we can come up with that good of a deal.
Sai Young
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Sai Young » Mon May 7, 2007 5:45 pm

blow up the team

Return to Toronto Blue Jays