Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Daily Papers - May 3, 2007 

Post#1 » by belowtherim » Thu May 3, 2007 2:26 pm

May 3, 2007

Toronto Star

Jays cough it up again
By Cathal Kelly
With noted pull hitter Travis Hafner approaching the plate, the infield shifted toward first, leaving a gaping hole at third. The big Cleveland DH checked his swing on a 3-2 pitch, but managed to tap the ball slowly down the empty left-field line. As David Delucci rounded third, the ball continued its agonizingly slow roll into the outfield.

"When you're scufflin' a little bit ..." manager John Gibbons said of his team's bad luck, before letting the thought trail off into a sigh.

Frasor keeps chin up after dreadful week
By Richard Griffin
"I'm not locked into certain guys for certain roles," Gibbons said prior to last night's game at the Jake. "That ninth inning's tough. Very few guys can do it and dominate like B.J. (Ryan) does. But you can't jump ship."

Frasor's horrible last two outings before last night had been statistical disasters.

Toronto Sun

Foiling the shift
By Mike Rutsey
Marcum (1-2) gave up a broken-bat single to David Dellucci leading off the 11th. With the infield shifted to right against Hafner, the Indians' big DH hit a check-swing dribbler down the third-base line and into left field that scored Dellucci all the way from first base.

"That's what happens sometimes," manager John Gibbons said of the fluke Hafner double. "When you're going good (like Cleveland) that's what happens. When you scuffle a bit ..."

Accardo impressive
By Mike Rutsey
"He cuts the ball pretty well to them, he has got a good slider, a good split and those are all tough pitches on left-handed hitters," pitching coach Brad Arnsberg said. "The thing we're seeing is, that when he first came over to us last year, he had the ability to get the ball down so good. As his season progressed with us, I think he got a little tired and everything started to drift up.

AWARD WINNER

Roy Halladay, who threw two complete games in April, yesterday was named American League Pitcher of the Month.

In six starts, Halladay went 4-0 with a 2.28 ERA and 33 strikeouts in 471/3 innings. It is the third time in his career he has won the award.

Globe & Mail

Jays lose in the long run
By Robert Macleod
Cleveland's David Dellucci led off the 11th inning with a broken-bat single to shallow centre field off Shaun Marcum, the sixth Toronto pitcher in the game. The ball just bounced in front of charging Toronto fielder Vernon Wells.

Then, with the Jays infield shifted over toward the right side of the diamond for Travis Hafner, a left-handed pull hitter, the Cleveland designated hitter made a checked- swing hit through the open left side of the Jays' infield. Dellucci made it all the way from first base for the winning run.

Halladay named AL picher of the month
By Canadian Press
Toronto Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay was named the American League's pitcher of the month for April on Wednesday.

Halladay went 4-0 with a 2.28 earned-run average in six starts, striking out 33 in 47 1-3 innings. He threw two complete games, including a 10-inning gem in a 2-1 win over the Detroit Tigers on April 13.

National Post

Travis Hafner's 11th-inning RBI double leads Indians over Blue Jays
By Tom Withers
It wasn't a typical RBI for Hafner, but the Indians will take it on a day when they lost a protest as well as starting pitcher Jake Westbrook. The right-hander was forced out in the second inning with tightness in his abdominal muscle and is probably headed to the disabled list.

"Hopefully it feels better tomorrow," a downcast Westbrook said. "I felt it in the first and it just got worse with every pitch in the second. I figured that was enough and I shut it down."

Extras

Box Score

Sunshine Girl
This brown-eyed five-foot-two gal is a professional belly dancer. Maria also a huge boxing fan.

Weather

Toronto
Sunny. High 16. UV index 7 or high.

Cleveland
Partly cloudy. Highs 60 to 65 but cooler near the lake. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Today's Game

Image Image @ Image Image
belowtherim
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Post#2 » by belowtherim » Thu May 3, 2007 2:27 pm

Sorry guys, I'll be out of town tomorrow and won't be able to do the papers, can someone take over for me?

I'll be back on Monday.
Ryanz24
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Ryanz24 » Thu May 3, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks for papers man...great work

Return to Toronto Blue Jays