ImageImageImageImageImage

The Jays rotation

Moderator: JaysRule15

Banger_bro
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

The Jays rotation 

Post#1 » by Banger_bro » Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm

With Halladay coming back, and McGowan and Marcum (hopefully) coming into their own as starters, does that relegate Chacin to 5th starter? Does Ohka stay in the rotation and Chacin go to the Bullpen? Where does Thomson and Vic Z fit in now?

May we see JP pull off a small trade?
heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#2 » by heemer » Wed May 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Chacin is too good to be sent to the pen. while its true that McGowan has looked better and Marcum has been a straight pimp since hes been back, Chacin is just a little more tried and tested. Hes not amazing, but hes definitely a legit starter.

As for the other guys, it looks like JP went 0/3 on the pitching gambles of Okha, Zambrano and Thompson... they all have small contracts anyway so no biggie
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Legit? The only guarantee you have when Chacin is on the hill is that you have to find 3-4 great innings from your bullpen - that screams #5 starter.

Marcum has definitely looked better starting than he did in relief, and I wouldnt be surprised to see Ohka to go to the pen and Litsch down to AAA, leaving a rotation of Halladay/Burnett/Chacin/McGowan/Marcum
Twitter: @NickObergan
heemer
Veteran

Post#4 » by heemer » Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:Legit? The only guarantee you have when Chacin is on the hill is that you have to find 3-4 great innings from your bullpen - that screams #5 starter.

Marcum has definitely looked better starting than he did in relief, and I wouldnt be surprised to see Ohka to go to the pen and Litsch down to AAA, leaving a rotation of Halladay/Burnett/Chacin/McGowan/Marcum

Sure hes legit, he has rough games, but most of the time he'll leave after the 6th and the game will be in pretty good shape. As I said, he no top end guy, but theres no question he belongs in a major league rotation.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#5 » by Michael Bradley » Wed May 30, 2007 7:23 pm

It would be foolish to take McGowan out of the rotation right now. He's the only young pitcher on the team with the slightest chance of becoming a legitimate secondary guy behind Halladay (on par with Burnett). Let him take his lumps this year full-time. Don't jerk his spot around. Keep him in the rotation for the rest of the year.

Word is Ricciardi has already put Ohka and Towers on the trading block. I doubt he gets anything for Towers, but Ohka is a reasonable bet to be traded some time in June or July. He has a solid track record and is a strong bottom of the rotation starter who will keep his team in games.

My guess is the rotation will be: Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, McGowan, Marcum within the next few weeks. Although Chacin's problem seems to be his shoulder, so we can't just assume he'll come back strong. That's a dangerous area.
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#6 » by kelso » Wed May 30, 2007 7:27 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:It would be foolish to take McGowan out of the rotation right now. He's the only young pitcher on the team with the slightest chance of becoming a legitimate secondary guy behind Halladay (on par with Burnett). Let him take his lumps this year full-time. Don't jerk his spot around. Keep him in the rotation for the rest of the year.

Word is Ricciardi has already put Ohka and Towers on the trading block. I doubt he gets anything for Towers, but Ohka is a reasonable bet to be traded some time in June or July. He has a solid track record and is a strong bottom of the rotation starter who will keep his team in games.

My guess is the rotation will be: Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, McGowan, Marcum within the next few weeks. Although Chacin's problem seems to be his shoulder, so we can't just assume he'll come back strong. That's a dangerous area.

I like that rotation a lot- its young and has a lot of grit. Chacin needs to show hes healthy for real. the way the rest of them are pitching right now (save for Halladay who is just coming back) we can get back into the wildcard if the bats would just wake up.

Frank Thomas- oh my Lord. $10 mil for that sack of shyte?? Pllleeeeeaaaaassseeee.... :nonono:
heemer
Veteran

Post#7 » by heemer » Wed May 30, 2007 8:19 pm

kelso wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Frank Thomas- oh my Lord. $10 mil for that sack of shyte?? Pllleeeeeaaaaassseeee.... :nonono:

Amazingly, he had worse numbers at this point last year! Im still holding out hope that he explodes and starts ripping it up!

That and we need Reed back... Him at leadoff puts Rios further down the lineup and makes that middle section much more potent with a better run producer back there. Rios' RBI potential is sort of being wasted at leadoff
Banger_bro
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Banger_bro » Thu May 31, 2007 2:51 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:It would be foolish to take McGowan out of the rotation right now. He's the only young pitcher on the team with the slightest chance of becoming a legitimate secondary guy behind Halladay (on par with Burnett). Let him take his lumps this year full-time. Don't jerk his spot around. Keep him in the rotation for the rest of the year.

I agree with keeping McGowan in the rotation all year. He has showed improvement in each start (however minor) and I think he will finally be what he was hyped to be.
Does Chacin now slot as the 3rd started with the emergence of Marcum and Dustin? Or 5th?
I am not convinced about trading Ohka though. If he is gone, who are your fall back starters? Thomson - who hasn't pitched in the Majors in more thena season (besides 1 appearance last year)? Zambrano - who showed he isn't ready? Litsch - who needs more time inthe minors?
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#9 » by asif9t9 » Fri Jun 1, 2007 11:51 am

Guys, we're not good enough to decide on a rotation now. Gus is injured, so leave him there and don't worry about him. By the time he gets back, maybe Dustin falls apart, or Marcum, or Ohka....or an injury.

But if we had to choose.....I don't like Chacin out of the bullpen. In that situation, I could see him having trouble hitting the strike zone, or giving up homeruns.
rsx806
Freshman

Post#10 » by rsx806 » Fri Jun 1, 2007 4:18 pm

I agree McGowan should stay in the rotation for now. He cant be worse than Vic Z and Towers, let him stay and learn from the BIG GUYS. I am sure Arnberg and Doc can teach him something.

I wouldn't give up on Ohka yet, let the other poster said, he still has trading value, give him some innings, so that can increase his trading value.
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#11 » by risktaker91 » Sun Jun 3, 2007 4:20 pm

Halladay/Burnett/Chacin/McGowan/Marcum

Yep that's our rotation.
no_hops_23
Junior
And1: 2

Post#12 » by no_hops_23 » Mon Jun 4, 2007 4:07 pm

i think chacin is instilled into the starting lineup once healthy but the big question is when is he going to be back?
stro4swift
Starter

Post#13 » by stro4swift » Mon Jun 4, 2007 4:13 pm

Halladay
Burnett
Chacin
Mcgowan
Ohka/Marcum

I kinda miss Ted Lilly right now with Chacin out, we need a lefty in the rotation!

And I think that if we're still in the race for the wild card spot later on, we could try to get D-Train from the Marlins...
RingItUp!
Starter
And1: 6

Post#14 » by RingItUp! » Mon Jun 4, 2007 9:13 pm

stro4swift wrote:Halladay
Burnett
Chacin
Mcgowan
Ohka/Marcum

I kinda miss Ted Lilly right now with Chacin out, we need a lefty in the rotation!

And I think that if we're still in the race for the wild card spot later on, we could try to get D-Train from the Marlins...

What assets does this team have that would allow it to acquire Willis?
heemer
Veteran

Post#15 » by heemer » Mon Jun 4, 2007 9:19 pm

The only assets wed have to trade for Willis is Rios, and if were still in the WC race in a couple of months itll likly be in huge part because of Rios
RingItUp!
Starter
And1: 6

Post#16 » by RingItUp! » Mon Jun 4, 2007 11:07 pm

heemer wrote:The only assets wed have to trade for Willis is Rios, and if were still in the WC race in a couple of months itll likly be in huge part because of Rios

If we trade Rios for Willis, I'll $h!t.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays