Lack of Accountability...

Moderator: JaysRule15

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,812

Lack of Accountability... 

Post#1 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 7:43 pm

There seems to be a general lack of accountability in this team's lockerroom. From our general manager, to our coach, to the players...it appears that there is a blas
SmallTownJournalist303
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by SmallTownJournalist303 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:40 pm

While I agree with some of your points, don't group Glaus in with the underachieving category; he's having the second best year of his career.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:03 pm

Ditto with what STJ said. Glaus is battling about 4 injuries throughout his body and when healthy at the start of the year he was pounding the ball. Wells and Thomas are a concern though. Vernon is sticking with his "one good season one bad season trend" and I think he might be pressing to justify his contract. Ditto with Thomas, who always starts slow. But its around the time of year where slow starts turn into slow seasons. Having Adam Lind and Matt Stairs with more home runs than Wells, our $18 million man is troubling.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:06 pm

SmallTownJournalist303 wrote:While I agree with some of your points, don't group Glaus in with the underachieving category; he's having the second best year of his career.

I never said anything about underachieving (as he's pretty much doing what he does every year) hes just not playing that well at all. He had a stretch at the beginning...not doing too well now...

Injuries or not...hes had several mental mistakes and hitting a whopping 270...without clutch hits...

there are 3 people who are hitting well....Rios, Hill, and Stairs...everyone else has sucked this year.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#5 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:14 pm

I also believe that J.P. needs to be fired. He's on the 5th year of his 5 year plan and he only has good young players that he inherited....where are all these draft gems of his?
SmallTownJournalist303
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#6 » by SmallTownJournalist303 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 3:28 am

Since when did batting average become what we judge a player's production by? Glaus has been a fantastic hitter throughout his career in spite of low batting averages because he's so patient; he's putting up a .384 OBP%, and is hitting at an all-star level when healthy. I don't see the issue here.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#7 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:33 am

SmallTownJournalist303 wrote:Since when did batting average become what we judge a player's production by? Glaus has been a fantastic hitter throughout his career in spite of low batting averages because he's so patient; he's putting up a .384 OBP%, and is hitting at an all-star level when healthy. I don't see the issue here.

He has not been a "Fantastic" hitter throughout his career, hes been a good hitter. I a great power hitter, but he often his in the lead league in strikeouts every year. He tends to swing for the fences a lot more than getting a much needed single.

When healthy is becoming the issue too...the guy can hardly run to first base without irritating one of those nagging injuries.

He's hardly a veteran presence that is guiding this team.
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#8 » by jalenrose#5 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 2:08 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Glaus like that. We all know that if the guy hits .270, you'd better be looking above for an answer.

Glaus has been extremely hobbled with injuries and just now he starting to look a bit better out there. Glaus is noted for his streaky(ness) and it's going to stay with him.

Wells, although he had a flu, still looks like the sick. I think he'd benefit more by being more aggressive in the box. Frank Thomas' patience approach I think has rubbed off too much on Vernon. He should get back to swingin at the first/second pitch....because they're usually fastballs.

Thomas......Well when were all healthy and he's still sucking, I say buy him out and put Stairs at DH. Frank is far too patient there for me. Too many times I see a ball right down the middle and Frank just lets it pass. Also, Frank's bat speed is atrocious.....he can't catch up to any 94 plus fastballs.....it's sickening.

When healthy the Jays Lineup

LF Johnson
1B Overbay
CF Wells
3B Glaus
RF Rios
DH Stairs
2B Hill
C Zaun
SS Clayton
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 2:31 pm

Glaus' career average is probably around 250, so 270 for him is awesome. Why would you be complaining about that?
r_gill
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#10 » by r_gill » Fri Jun 8, 2007 2:54 pm

Why are you looking at the batting average of Glaus, he has never been a high average guy. For a guy like Glaus look at his on base percentage and slugging and you can see he is having a great year.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 3:09 pm

Maybe he's from the messiah school of posting - post and find only stats that support your adament unchangeable beliefs ;)
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#12 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:07 pm

So we ignore Glaus's batting average because he's never been a good hitter?

the guy has less RBI's than Bengie Molina? Why are people defending him so adamantly?

Where are the clutch hits?
Where are the RBIs?
Where are the homeruns?

Like I said before, you can't sit there and say "Well injuries..blah blah". Injuries happen and they affect performance...so all the ifs and buts are greats, but it doesn't change the fact that he isn't producing.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:So we ignore Glaus's batting average because he's never been a good hitter?

the guy has less RBI's than Bengie Molina? Why are people defending him so adamantly?

Where are the clutch hits?
Where are the RBIs?
Where are the homeruns?

Like I said before, you can't sit there and say "Well injuries..blah blah". Injuries happen and they affect performance...so all the ifs and buts are greats, but it doesn't change the fact that he isn't producing.

Except that you CAN blame injuries in this case when they force a player to miss a slew of at bats, therefore forcing the # production down to what they would normally be had he been able to take the normal number of at bats for an everyday starter. He has missed a lot of time, so I dont expect him to have 15HR because he hasnt been in the lineup as much as everyone else.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:29 pm

Fact: Glaus has over 100 less at bats than Rios. 100 and we are only around 60 games into the season. Thats a lot. How do you expect him to have the same production? But his OBP is higher than Rios.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#15 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:35 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:Fact: Glaus has over 100 less at bats than Rios. 100 and we are only around 60 games into the season. Thats a lot. How do you expect him to have the same production? But his OBP is higher than Rios.

You're not getting my point though. Yes he's missed games due to injury, but the fact that he IS injured is a negative aspect that you have to take into account. If you're everyday third baseman can't run to first without hurting his heel...you might have to address the fact that maybe he isn't the best person to have on your team.

OBP ist the only stat that exists? he walks...yay..we get a baserunner that can't run. Since hes been back, he has been hitting terribly...and throughout this entire year he's left a ridiculous number of players on base...and often in a clutch situation.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#16 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:39 pm

My point also being that the way this team is built, right now, is stupid and ridiculous.

You're either adding pieces to make a run at the World Series, or you're selling to get young talent to eventually make the World Series. this middling around .500 ball does nothing to help the future of the organization, but merely keep J.P.'s job.

Glaus for Hudson was selling the future
Thomas was a ridiculous signing
Wells should have been dealt this offseason for several young, good players.

I'm just sick of watching this team, year after year, go out with the same issues (starting pitching, no shortstop, no leader) and just leave the year with a blas
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 5:11 pm

I am not debating your other points, just in your original post and remarks back to other posters, you had a large argument that Glaus was vastly underachieving, which simply isnt the case, he just has had about half as many at bats as he normally should. Rios' at bats to his are 235 to 130; so if you prorate his stats for 230 at bats they are actually very good - maybe not elite, but very good.

For your other comments:
Are the injury concerns a cause for concern? Absolutely.
Is he struggling to come up with clutch hits? Absolutely, him and the other 8 batters in our lineup. Its a team-wide problem.
Are Thomas and Wells underperforming? Absolutely.

I dont think the Glaus trade was a bad idea. He gave us exactly what we were looking for last year. The problem is injury history and the fact its very prevalent this year is discouraging.

The Thomas signing was rediculous. I didnt like it at the time, I dont like it now, and I guarantee I wont like it at the end of this year or next year either. Ditto with the Clayton signing.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#18 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 5:18 pm

In all fairness, I never said he was 'underachieving' mainly becuase he's hitting pretty much on-par for his career. Which to me, just isn't very good.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 5:21 pm

Hey, no one should expect Glaus to challenge for a batting title. You know what you get from him, and that is power and the ability to work deep counts.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#20 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 5:34 pm

whosthebosh? wrote:Hey, no one should expect Glaus to challenge for a batting title. You know what you get from him, and that is power and the ability to work deep counts.

Which is why he'd be a good piece for a championship team, not a team that needs leadership and regular hits.

god I just want this team to be good so much...

this better be J.P. and Gibbon's last year....

Return to Toronto Blue Jays