jefbo_80
Junior
And1: 0

Minor League Spotlight: Chris Marrero 

Post#1 » by jefbo_80 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Chris Marrero #15 overall pick in 2006 Amateur Draft
18 years old
LF
Hagerstown Suns(Nationals Low A affiliate)

32 Games
119 AB
.311 AVG
8 HR
31 RBI
19 Runs
5 2B
5 BB
23 SO

He has been absolutely MASHING the ball considering all but one of his HR's have come in May...
He should fly through the system... High A ball by the end of the year...

:clap: :clap: :clap:
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#2 » by jmrosenth » Tue May 15, 2007 4:31 pm

He's the best position prospect in the Nats system. There is virtually nothing at AAA or AA. Kory Casto is 25 already so he's going to have prove something the next time he gets a shot at the big leagues.

The pitching scenario is a little better, but not by much. This year's draft is ridiculously important.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
jefbo_80
Junior

Post#3 » by jefbo_80 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:03 pm

This years draft is extremely deep...

The fact that we managed to get Marrero at #15, last year, was a steal...
He had a few injuries that dropped him a bit but he's looked great with the bat early on and he should shoot up quickly through the system...

5 picks in the first 72 this year...
Could have the #1 pick next year and grab a stud like 3B/OF Pedro Alvarez(Next Manny but bats lefty)

I think the Nats can turn this thing around quicker than many expected if they DO make the correct decisions and draft picks in the coming years...

Don't forget SS "Smiley" Gonzalez and hard throwing LHP Randy Almonte from the Dominican Republic that look like studs...
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 295

Post#4 » by Ed Wood » Thu May 17, 2007 9:57 pm

For those who'd like to look at those stats from another angle here are Marrero's averages thus far, this in 123 at bats:

Batting Average: 38/123 or .309. This after having hit .245 in his first 50 at bats, Marrero seems to be making adjustments, a good sign.

On Base Percentage: 38+5 base on balls/123 or .336. This is not as encouraging. Young hitters do sometimes takes time to develop plate discipline and the ability to make contact and hit for power are both signs that higher walk totals are likely in the future.

Slugging Average: (4x8 hr)+(2x5 2b)+(25 1b)/123 or .545. This number is quite encouraging, as power is a skill which bodes well for a young player's future, and which is an important part of the offensive package a corner outfielder is expected to have. And, as I've mentioned, players with power often draw more walks because of the reluctance pitchers have to throw them hittable pitches.

Overall Marrero has done quite well thus far this season, and it's very encouraging to see how well he's adjusted after a poor start to the year at the plate. If he can continue to hit for average and power while demonstrating more patience at the plate and learning the tricks of the trade as a corner outfielder he has a bright future in the middle of a major league batting order ahead of him.

And no, I didn't actually work out those numbers using Marrero's counting stats, the equations are just there in case someone isn't sure what I mean when when I use those terms.
jefbo_80
Junior

Post#5 » by jefbo_80 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:48 pm

9th HR of the year last night...
5 in 6 games...
1st on the road this season...
jefbo_80
Junior

Post#6 » by jefbo_80 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:56 pm

http://www.farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/

You can keep up with the Nats minor leaguers and guys in the rookie league here...

Marrero hit his 12th HR of the year in walk off fashion this weekend against the Orioles Low A affiliate Delmarva...

In May Marrero has 11 HR 34 RBI :bowdown:
12 HR
44 RBI
.306 AVG
10 2B

He's been in LF all year but recently has been platooning in RF...
He's looking great...
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#7 » by jmrosenth » Tue May 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Where did you get his stats? Has he improved his plate discipline at all since EdWood's breakdown on May 17?

Dude is just 18 years old. Having 22 extra base hits at this point is a great sign.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.

[/quote]
jefbo_80
Junior

Post#8 » by jefbo_80 » Mon Jun 4, 2007 6:13 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Where did you get his stats? Has he improved his plate discipline at all since EdWood's breakdown on May 17?

Dude is just 18 years old. Having 22 extra base hits at this point is a great sign.

http://www.farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/
Click on any box score and then click on Marrero and you'll see his yearly stats...
Arenas4Three
Junior
And1: 1
Location: George Mason University (Fairfax, VA/ Washington D.C.)

Post#9 » by Arenas4Three » Mon Jun 4, 2007 8:25 pm

we should bring him to the bigs- we need offense in the baddest way!
-I made this sig.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 295

Post#10 » by Ed Wood » Thu Jun 7, 2007 5:11 pm

Arenas4Three wrote:we should bring him to the bigs- we need offense in the baddest way!

A significant portion of being effective at developing young players in professional baseball is simply a matter of having the patience and stoicism to not rush young players into the big leagues, even when they're playing well. You could add another one hundred percentage points to each of Marrero's big three averages (batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage) and it would still be far too early to challenge him like that. By the way, if you did add those one hundred points he'd currently be hitting .404/.451/.659 in 204 AB, so he is walking a little more of late.

And if its minor league stats you're after then find something else to fill that void in your life, they're all right here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#11 » by Scabs304 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 12:32 am

What I'm really wondering is how high will Marrero get this year? I think he should be able to reach AA by the end of the season if he shows some discipline at the plate.
I am Scabs.
jefbo_80
Junior

Post#12 » by jefbo_80 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Marrero just got promoted to High A ball in Potomac...
I don't think he'll be playing AA until the start of next year...
A September call up in '08 is the EARLIEST you'll see him...

Return to Washington Nationals