Nats at Le Tigres

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Nats at Le Tigres 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Now this is interesting. First series I can remember where the chosen one did not pitch for the Nats. It hearkens me back to a long ago time....(a week and a half ago).

Tigers are an average team in the AL right now at 33-29. They can hit pretty well at the top of their lineup; not so well at the bottom of it. Their pitching has been average although their pitcher tonight, Max Scherzer, has been bad this year (so expect Rob Dibble to state confidently the Nats should put a ten spot on him or something).

The Tigers are tied for the worst fielding in the American League right now, so they should be right at home playing the Nats. The good news for DC in that regard is Adam Kennedy is not in the starting lineup, however.

Lannan is the pitch and Mike Morse starts at first for Adam Dunn, who is DHing.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Nats at Le Tigres 

Post#2 » by Jollay » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Hah. Forgot to mention. Guzman, Kennedy whatever, they can't be worse than putting Carlos Guillen at second base. Bernadina slow roller to the right side somehow gets through...probably wouldn't of against most beer-league softball teams.

Nats lead 1-0 middle of the second.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:37 am

I can't understand why Lannan can't go more than 5 innings. He's up to at least 80 pitches right now and he's only pitched 3 1/3.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Jollay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 am

Now he's given up seven runs. I wonder if JD Martin keeps his spot when Olsen comes back and they send Lannan down. He's got to have the worst WHIP in baseball for a regular starter.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Jollay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:31 am

Well, I didn't know this, but Olsen apparently has experienced a major setback while in the DL and has been sent to extended Spring Training.

So it looks like JD Martin is good for the time being. Detwiller just started his rehab at A, and Olsen and Wang don't appear ready to go.

Also Nats lose 7-4. Lannan was horrible. Mike Morse continues to swing a hot bat, and Nyjer Morgan had his best game in a while, swiping two bases.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I would say Lannan needs to be sent down but we have no one else. They need to think about trading for Roy Oswalt if they want to make a playoff push. Every loss, especially this time of year, moves them further away from the wild card spot. I know contending wasn't in the plans this year, but come on...
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Jollay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I would say Lannan needs to be sent down but we have no one else. They need to think about trading for Roy Oswalt if they want to make a playoff push. Every loss, especially this time of year, moves them further away from the wild card spot. I know contending wasn't in the plans this year, but come on...

I just can't see it, although they certainly have the cash.

The Nats were the third most profitable franchise last year, and that was before the Strasburg cash cow. But Oswalt is under contract for something like 15-16 million next year I believe, which is alot of money to spend on one player. Especially since the Nats may have struck out on Marquis who they owe 7.5 million to next year.

There's going to be heat on the Nats to spend some money next offseason, but its unlikely they'll spend significantly this year unless they go on a nice run between now and the all-star break. But it'd have to be a NICE run. Especially to spend on a starting pitcher. Plus Detwiller does look good so far in rehab and Olsen, Zimmerman, and even Marquis all are options later in the year.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Jollay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Game 2 is tonight, featuring the hard-throwing Justin Verlander versus the almost-as-hard-throwing Livan Hernandez.

Willie Harris is in left field despite his prolonged slump and non-production versus Cleveland just a series ago. Mike Morse is still in the lineup with his hot bat at DH, and Nyjer Morgan reclaims his leadoff spot after a great night last night.

Pudge bats in the five hole for Hammer, who is off tonight.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Verlander has given Adam Dunn and Roger Bernadina two very good wheelhouse fastballs right over the plate with little movement.

Nats lead 2-0 in the top of the second.

Mike Morse just singled again. He needs to stay in the lineup right now, but trouble is when we lose the DH, at what position?

Bernadina's hitting the ball well too in right. I guess Morse gets the starts against lefties only.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Jollay » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:07 am

I know Livan can pitch a bunch of pitches, but Riggleman makes one of his few poor decisions of the year leaving him in with two runners on in the seventh.

Boesch with a three-run shot, Nats down 8-3.

A walk late, Riggleman goes to the pen. Too late, Jim.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Jollay » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Nats get swept by the Tigers as Atilano joins Lannan and Hernandez as complete duds this series.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Jollay » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Of late Strasburg and Dunn are the only things worth watching with this team. Starting pitching and defense with this team have turned into a disaster.

At least they've played a lot more road than home, but .500 is slipping away.

Return to Washington Nationals