Cards at Nats

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Cards at Nats 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Kind of an exciting night out at the Park. First off, it's Ladies' Night, and everybody prefers more ladies at the Park because they eat less and smell nice. Second, Chris Carpenter, one of the best in the business, faces Jordan Zimmermann in his season-debut after over a year hiatus. Third, Bryce Harper is in the house. He took batting practice today and his press conference begins at about 5:45pm.

The Nats are now 53-74, which is a big disappointment considering how they started. Unfortunately, my season-starting prediction of 69-93 is starting to look like reality.

We can only hope the Cards play down to the level of their oppostion, which they've been doing of late.

Still, if they don't, the Nats are only ten games off the pace for another #1 pick. Huzzah.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: Cards at Nats 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Gotta keep thinking 70.....LOL
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Jollay » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Nats win in 13 innings last night on an Ian Desmond single, 11-10. It was a wild game that had the Nats up 8-6 in the ninth only to see Drew Storen/Sean Burnett give up four runs. But in the bottom of the inning, Roger Bernadina had a two-run homer off Ryan Franklin to tie it up.

Zimmermann had his stuff on display, but his pitch decisions were at best questionable. He gave up five runs in four innings and showed why he's no guarantee to step right into the #2 starter role, even on this sorry staff, even next year. Still, he showed fairly good velocity and his curveball looked dominant at times.

Nats get a nice win over a contender, and pound Chris Carpenter, which was nice to see. Nats see Jamie Garcia (11-6, 2.42 ERA) for the first time Friday night. He goes against Scott Olsen, who the Nats desperately need a good outing out of with an extremely taxed bullpen.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Jollay » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Albert Pujols just hit a bomb into my section in left that it didn't even look like he killed. But he did, as the guy who lost his beer can attest to....

1-0 Cards early.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Jollay » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Cards beat the Nats Friday night 4-2. Nats threaten in the ninth, scoring a run and getting the tying run to the plate, but can't get it done. They leave 14 on base, while the Cards only leave four. Michael Morse was a typical example of the night--crushing a double and a triple with no one on (and not scoring) but going 0-2 with two runners on base.

Garcia gave up alot of hits and walks but it's easy to see why the Cards are high on him. He has good stuff and knows how to pitch out of a jam.

It was cool to see Mike MacDougal in the visitors' pen today. Autographed a ball for me, which I thought was pretty nice. He may be all over the place but he did get 20 saves for DC last year.

Tonight Kyle Lohse versus Livo on Pudge bobblehead night. Get there early for the bobble!
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Jollay » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Nats smash the Cards 14-5 in front of over 30,000. Bernadina a two-run shot (the first homer I've seen by him at Nats Park, I believe second overall there) and Dunn a three-run shot (breaks a 5-5 tie in the fifth) do the most damage. Michael Morse goes 4-4 and the Nats pound out 16 hits. Feel bad for Kyle Lohse, still pitching badly after his horrible injury last year, and Mike MacDougal, who gave up six Nats runs late.

Nats finish homestand out with John Lannan today versus Adam Wainwright at Pups in the Park Day II. Dogs out on the dirt pre-game! Hope my pup doesn't down so many peanut shells this time...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#7 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Nats win 4-2.

Storen gets the less than smooth save.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Jollay » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:13 pm

John Lannan looked pretty good for one of the few times this season. With Strasburg out for most and probably all of next year, it would make a big, big difference if he and Marquis could return to 3.50 to 4.00 ERA form.

Michael Morse is really killing the ball right now. You have to think with 10 homers in under 175 ABs he is making a case to be a regular next year.

Return to Washington Nationals