How serious are Nats about Cliff Lee?

Moderator: Rafael122

phillysports86
Ballboy
And1: 0

How serious are Nats about Cliff Lee? 

Post#1 » by phillysports86 » Wed Dec 8, 2010 4:03 pm

There are a lot of reports out there.

Philly Sports Daily (I looked, the guy who reported it used to work in D.C.) says the team has met with Cliff Lee - not sure how serious their interest is: http://phillysportsdaily.com/phillies/2010/12/07/nationals-interested-in-cliff-lee/

Mark Zuckerman says the Nationals have always wanted Lee, but they won't go 7 years: http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/12/nats-want-lee-but-not-for-7-years.html

Ben Goessling says the Nats are wading into Lee situation with caution cause they don't wanna be used as pawns for other teams, a la Mark Teixeira: http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2010/12/where-i-think-the-nationals-stand-with-cliff-lee.html
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: How serious are Nats about Cliff Lee? 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 8, 2010 5:51 pm

I think the 3rd assumption is correct, they don't want to be used by their agent so that the Yankees or Rangers swoop in and match the offer. I wouldn't go 6 years either, but if that gets him here, you do it. A rotation of Lee-Zimmerman-Lannan-Marquis has a lot of potential. Then you add Strasburg to the mix in 2012, and the rotation is pretty sick.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#3 » by Jollay » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:14 pm

They're serious, but realistically they know it isn't gonna happen. I don't think Lee is using the Nats, but the Yankees are intent on driving up the price now. They want another dominant lefty to attack Boston's left-handed hitting lineup.

Nats committing 40 million to two players (Werth, Lee) for the next seven years is too much of a risk.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Can't believe Lee signed with the Phillies.

What does that do with the Nats and going after Greinke or Garza? I would think Garza would take less prospects.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#5 » by Jollay » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:03 am

Rafael122 wrote:Can't believe Lee signed with the Phillies.

What does that do with the Nats and going after Greinke or Garza? I would think Garza would take less prospects.

I am shocked. Didn't see it coming at all.

I think it does somewhat bump the chances the Nats make a move for one of those starters. Garza would in theory take less, the Royals are known to have a very steep price for Greinke. The sticking point is that both teams would probably want either Espinosa or Desmond in the deal, and the Nats simply don't have any options right now to replace either.

Return to Washington Nationals