Braves at Nats/Opening Day

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Braves at Nats/Opening Day 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Fri Apr 1, 2011 9:44 pm

Nats lose Opening Day 2-0 to the Braves. Nothing going on offense on a cold, miserable day.

It's just one game, but you kind of get the feeling this isn't gonna be a small-ball type of offense, obviously, more like an all or nothing. Alot of power sprinkled around with a guy like Werth batting second.

Lannan versus Hanson on Saturday, JZ versus Hudson on Sunday.

God there's alot of pitching in the NL East...
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Braves at Nats/Opening Day 

Post#2 » by Jollay » Sun Apr 3, 2011 11:06 pm

Hailballs on Saturday as the Nats win 6-3. Better weather on Sunday as the Braves pound the bottom of the Nats' pen to win 11-2.

First impressions of the Nats are that they are slightly improved and should win in the low 70's range. The starting pitching is easily the biggest question mark on the club, but it looked good this weekend. Zimmermann wasn't bad today, hitting the gun consistently at 93-94, and only giving up three of the 11 runs. Lannan and Hernandez looked pretty good as well, although it should be remembered that this is the time of year when pitchers generally have an advantage.

Defense looks improved, although the Desmond/Espinosa combo still looks shaky. They got alot of range, and I think Desmond will cut down on errors this year, but today especially they were really suspect on cuttoff throws and catching balls at the bag. Werth seems like he will help the outfield defense, and LaRoche is a HUGE defensive upgrade over Dunn. That should help the middle infield as well.

As I mentioned the offense seems kind of all or nothing. To get away with Werth hitting #2, Morse and Ankiel are going to have to hit at #5 and #6, and Desmond is really going to have to step up as a lead-off hitter, which is a big if. Desmond looked terrible in the opening series at the plate, and I don't believe he got on once.

75 degrees Monday. Where was that this weekend???!!!!!
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Braves at Nats/Opening Day 

Post#3 » by Jollay » Sun Apr 3, 2011 11:11 pm

I should add that it won't be long till we see Colin Balester and Craig Stammen replace Chad Gaudin and Brian Broderick in the bullpen if this series is any indication.

Broderick only got shelled Sunday, but Gaudin looked awful both Saturday and Sunday.

Return to Washington Nationals