Diamondbacks (69-58) @ Nats (61-64)

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Diamondbacks (69-58) @ Nats (61-64) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Diamondbacks are one of the hottest teams in baseball right now, and are leading the NL West over the World Series champs Giants. They have lost 5 in a row however.

Nats are coming off a series win against the Phillies, they've got a 4 game set against the D-Backs before they head out to Cincy.

Series Pitching Matchups:

Joe Saunders vs. Ross Detwiler
Ian Kennedy vs. Jordan Zimmerman.
Daniel Hudson vs. Livian Hernandez. Hudson is pretty good.
Wade Miley vs. John Lannan

Should be a good series.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Re: Diamondbacks (69-58) @ Nats (61-64) 

Post#2 » by Jollay » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 pm

A very good series. ONE DOLLAR DOG NIGHT TONIGHT, BTW!!!!!!

And thus probably a pretty good crowd. Also Joe Saunders pitches tonight--he pitched locally at West Springfield HS. He'll have a bunch of buds in the stands.

CRUSHING DOLLAR HOT DOGS!!!!

Sorry, I love it when I can eat the Park for under a million dollars...
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 pm

LOL

Tell us, really, what you think about one dollar hot dog night, Jollay?

BTW - the Nats management have done a great job this year with promotions that help make the games affordable for folks without a pile of money or with kids. I'm thinking about stuff like two dollar Tuesdays, etc.

Kudos to the Nats on that. Nice job.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Jollay » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:11 am

Ha--I was a row back on the Blanco solo shot, all over TV in the white t-shirt and as one of the guys who goaded the guy to throw it back, which he did...

Guy got ejected but he came back later and they gave his kid a bobblehead....it might be on the sports bog tomorrow. Good stuff.

Detwiler is earning a rotation spot for next year, good win tonight, 4-1.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Yep. I thought he was going to lose the game there when the bases were juiced in the 6th inning I believe but he pulled through. Will probably be the early favorite for the 5th spot in the rotation.

BTW, it was good to see Werth hit that homer. He needed it. Just hope he can get his AVG up to at least .250 and hit 20-25 homers.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#6 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Two consecutive solid starts for Ross. :D
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

It's nice to be cheering for Washington baseball at a time where the future really does look bright.

Detwiler pitched well last night. Wang's been pitching a lot better...if you watch him, you'll see that his sinker is really diving at the plate (though generally not until an inning or two). If he progresses, he can be a good rotation pitcher - and he owes us to re-sign at a decent salaray after we paid for his two-year rehab.

Strasburg
JZimm
Lannan
Wang
(an improved) Detwiler

Clip
Storen

That's the backbone of a nice pitching staff.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Tough loss. Was at the game last night, had fun. Co-worker gave me tickets, all inclusive. Let's just say I had a really good time.

Managed to see Mike Rizzo. He sat adjacent to the Nats dugout for about an inning. He's lost a ton of weight. He walked by our seats and I told him he was doing a good job and said something like "thank you very much" or something. I'm not sure if people knew who he was, or they did but left him alone, but it was cool to the GM of the team.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Tough loss. Was at the game last night, had fun. Co-worker gave me tickets, all inclusive. Let's just say I had a really good time.

Managed to see Mike Rizzo. He sat adjacent to the Nats dugout for about an inning. He's lost a ton of weight. He walked by our seats and I told him he was doing a good job and said something like "thank you very much" or something. I'm not sure if people knew who he was, or they did but left him alone, but it was cool to the GM of the team.

Cool. I guess the Nats officially introduced Rendon and two other picks last night, I wonder if they were around as well, or they ran for the hills once the quakes started!

This is a good series with great weather. Livan versus Daniel Hudson tonight.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Jollay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:16 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:It's nice to be cheering for Washington baseball at a time where the future really does look bright.

Detwiler pitched well last night. Wang's been pitching a lot better...if you watch him, you'll see that his sinker is really diving at the plate (though generally not until an inning or two). If he progresses, he can be a good rotation pitcher - and he owes us to re-sign at a decent salaray after we paid for his two-year rehab.

Strasburg
JZimm
Lannan
Wang
(an improved) Detwiler

Clip
Storen

That's the backbone of a nice pitching staff.

If I were to put money down, I'd say that's what the rotation will be next year. But Rizzo will bring in depth guys like Gorzelanny and Gaudin were this year.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Jollay wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Tough loss. Was at the game last night, had fun. Co-worker gave me tickets, all inclusive. Let's just say I had a really good time.

Cool. I guess the Nats officially introduced Rendon and two other picks last night, I wonder if they were around as well, or they ran for the hills once the quakes started!

This is a good series with great weather. Livan versus Daniel Hudson tonight.

They were at the Park and were introduced about midway into the game. It kinda sucks though, because its like...you'll see these guys at a press conference and won't hear about them until they come up to the show. It's not like the NBA, you introduce your rookie and its like "yeah, see you in the fall." You know? BTW, that Meyer kid, HUGE. The dude dwarfed Rendon. I'm sure he could pick Rendon up and put him on his shoulder if he wanted. The man is tall.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Jollay » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Nats again get shut down by a tough righthander, Daniel Hudson, only getting two runs on late solo shots from Nix and Gomes, and losing 4-2.

Much better matchup for the Nats today with Lannan going against a rook, but Lannan is up against a lineup that could give him trouble.

Return to Washington Nationals