2012 MLB Draft (Quick-Review)

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

2012 MLB Draft (Quick-Review) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Nats picked 16th and picked up Lucas Giolito, 17 year old who I believe has a commitment to UCLA. He hasn't been healthy allyear, suffering from an elbow issue but Rizzo has said they were comfortable with the medical records. Basically, if it wasn't for the injury, he would have been the top pick.

They picked up Anthony Renda, 2nd basemen out of Cal-Berkley in the second round. From what I've read, he sounds like a utility type of guy.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Hamyltowne
Banned User
And1: 53

Re: 2012 MLB Draft (Quick-Review) 

Post#2 » by Hamyltowne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am

They also drafted Robert Benincasa, closer out of Florida State, who might not take very long to hit The Show.

The Nationals did very well in the draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 am

MLB Draft is such a hit and miss. Sure Giolito might be legit or he may never amount to anything. Outside of the hardcore draft experts, no one really knows how these kids will pan out.
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#4 » by Hamyltowne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 am

Rafael122 wrote:MLB Draft is such a hit and miss. Sure Giolito might be legit or he may never amount to anything. Outside of the hardcore draft experts, no one really knows how these kids will pan out.

It's an anti-climatic event, that's for sure. It'll be a couple of years before we know how well they did. Still fun, though.
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#5 » by Hamyltowne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 am

Top 15 picks:

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 pm

They need to do a better job of marketing it, or not put it on TV at all. You had John Hart saying stuff like "think of a Cole Hamels" and I go, how do we even know this. Hamels has 100+ wins right? How can you say today that this 18 year or whoever is Cole Hamels 2.0.
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#7 » by Hamyltowne » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:14 pm

Rafael122 wrote:They need to do a better job of marketing it, or not put it on TV at all. You had John Hart saying stuff like "think of a Cole Hamels" and I go, how do we even know this. Hamels has 100+ wins right? How can you say today that this 18 year or whoever is Cole Hamels 2.0.

Whenever I hear glowing scouting reports of high-school players, I can't help but think of Moneyball, both the book and the movie.

I remember somewhere in the first few chapters Lewis described Oakland's war room on draft day. Billy Beane was throwing chairs across the room after being forced to draft a high-school kid. I should look up to see if the success rates have changed in the ten years since it was published. Surely more high-school kids are making their way up, now.
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#8 » by Hamyltowne » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 am

Nationals To Sign Lucas Giolito

The Nationals have agreed to sign first round selection Lucas Giolito, ESPN.com's Keith Law reports (on Twitter). MLB recommends a $2.1MM bonus for the 16th overall selection, but Giolito obtained a $2.925MM bonus, according to Law.

The high school right-hander entered the year as one of the most talented draft eligible players, but suffered an elbow injury in March. “I’m confident that this issue is behind me,” he said the day after the Nationals selected him.“I’m looking forward to getting on the mound soon.” Giolito's fastball can reach 99 mph and he sits at 94-96 mph, according to Baseball America. He also throw s a plus-plus curveball and a plus change-up.

Very savvy pick AND signing by the Nationals. Another excellent draft from the Nats.

Return to Washington Nationals