ImageImageImage

Bring the Expos Back to Montreal

Moderator: Rafael122

UndeadExpos
Sophomore
And1: 25

Bring the Expos Back to Montreal 

Post#1 » by UndeadExpos » Thu May 3, 2007 11:35 pm

.... we wuz robbed! Selig's a crook! Justice must be served!!! Consider this the first notice of the curse of the Undead Expo. The nationals (I can't bring myself to capitalize it) will never win the World Series!!!!!! :wavefinger:
Carmelo22
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Carmelo22 » Thu May 3, 2007 11:59 pm

This franchise is ours now. YOU GUYS COULDNT KEEP IT AND ITS WITH US NOW. Long live the NATIONALS of DC
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Re: Bring the Expos Back to Montreal 

Post#3 » by Ed Wood » Fri May 4, 2007 1:30 am

UndeadExpos wrote:.... we wuz robbed! Selig's a crook! Justice must be served!!! Consider this the first notice of the curse of the Undead Expo. The nationals (I can't bring myself to capitalize it) will never win the World Series!!!!!! :wavefinger:

Honestly as things stand you'd be taking a backseat to the curse of several years under the the control of the owners and the resulting lack of talent on any level.

Plus we're all Wizards fans here migrating over to the baseball forum so we're used to being the the punchline for a professional sport. Plus there's no particular connection between the city of Washington and what was done to the Expos. If the franchise wasn't moved here it would have been taken to some other city, or contracted, and we're hardly pleased that the team's talent base was basically given away before it's move.

Regardless, please continue posting, we're that bereft of activity.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#4 » by WashWiz54 » Fri May 4, 2007 2:34 am

The Expos did have a pretty sweet logo.
UndeadExpos
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#5 » by UndeadExpos » Fri May 4, 2007 3:06 am

Just to be clear.... the beef isn't with the fans of the nationals, it's with MLB for sabotaging the franchise. The Expos were extremely popular in Montreal until MLB refused to establish a revenue-sharing system that would support smaller market teams, thus ensuring the migration of star talent just as they were peaking. The cancellation of the World Series in '94 also turned away numerous fans for good. Not only were the Expos running away with the pennant that year, but the franchise was forced into a firesale which saw the departure of Walker, Alou, Pedro, etc. Horrible management post-Bronfman era (Brochu and that idiot Loria) also conspired to keep fans away. It should also be noted that Bronfman, the original owner, got out of the biz because he foresaw the disaster that was due to come as a result of the lack of will to share revenue and set up a system like the NBA or NFL. And lastly, the Expos played at a disgusting and unsafe stadium, and the Quebec government refused to succumb to league blackmail and underwrite a new stadium. There was no public will to spend massive dollars financing a very private enterprise.

The fans of the Expos consistently get blamed for their lack of support, but really, this is one rare instance of fans sticking to their principles and refusing to support a league that is terribly inept and corrupt. Most Expos fans, and there are many, were lying latent waiting for a change in league and franchise structure/management. Instead, the fans were made into scapegoats.

Expos fans want the franchise back, but only if there is a structure in place that ensures a certain level of parity. There have been changes lately for the better, but Selig is still a pawn of the Steinbrenner's of the baseball world. Enjoy the madness... and the picked apart remnants of a once proud franchise.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#6 » by Ed Wood » Fri May 4, 2007 3:43 am

UndeadExpos wrote:Just to be clear.... the beef isn't with the fans of the nationals, it's with MLB for sabotaging the franchise. The Expos were extremely popular in Montreal until MLB refused to establish a revenue-sharing system that would support smaller market teams, thus ensuring the migration of star talent just as they were peaking. The cancellation of the World Series in '94 also turned away numerous fans for good. Not only were the Expos running away with the pennant that year, but the franchise was forced into a firesale which saw the departure of Walker, Alou, Pedro, etc. Horrible management post-Bronfman era (Brochu and that idiot Loria) also conspired to keep fans away. It should also be noted that Bronfman, the original owner, got out of the biz because he foresaw the disaster that was due to come as a result of the lack of will to share revenue and set up a system like the NBA or NFL. And lastly, the Expos played at a disgusting and unsafe stadium, and the Quebec government refused to succumb to league blackmail and underwrite a new stadium. There was no public will to spend massive dollars financing a very private enterprise.

The fans of the Expos consistently get blamed for their lack of support, but really, this is one rare instance of fans sticking to their principles and refusing to support a league that is terribly inept and corrupt. Most Expos fans, and there are many, were lying latent waiting for a change in league and franchise structure/management. Instead, the fans were made into scapegoats.

Expos fans want the franchise back, but only if there is a structure in place that ensures a certain level of parity. There have been changes lately for the better, but Selig is still a pawn of the Steinbrenner's of the baseball world. Enjoy the madness... and the picked apart remnants of a once proud franchise.

There's no question that the Expos franchise and its fan base were hosed and that fans in Montreal were completely justified in their alarm over what Loria and later Selig and the rest of the owners did with the team. Revenue sharing is helpful for small market franchises but it isn't really a solution to the parity problem. As it is some teams are content to pocket their share of the luxury tax and of the shared revenue and still avoid investing money in any serious attempt at fielding a competitive team (I'm talking about you, Pittsburgh). What might solve the parity problem I don't know, but it's plainly a huge problem in baseball (at the least the illusion of parity is vital to the health of the game.)

At the same time the league used relocation to Washington as a threat to drive cities to finance stadiums and the like for far too long, this city deserves a professional baseball franchise, and Peter Angelos can bite me.

It would be fine to have this thread serve as an area to discuss the Expos franchise permanently, but a more inviting subject might be in order.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#7 » by Scabs304 » Fri May 4, 2007 3:46 am

Min Cap and Revenue Sharing sounds like it might work ;).
I am Scabs.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,844

Post#8 » by Triple M » Fri May 4, 2007 5:46 am

I would love to get my Expos back but not at the expense of Washington baseball fans.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Snayr » Thu May 24, 2007 4:15 pm

Triple M wrote:I would love to get my Expos back but not at the expense of Washington baseball fans.

Same here. We were robbed by a crooked administration, but nothing we can do about it now. I now happily cheer for The Nationals, but still hope that someday Montreal will receive another MLB franchise.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
mr.garbage
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Bring the Expos Back to Montreal 

Post#10 » by mr.garbage » Sun May 27, 2007 11:41 pm

UndeadExpos wrote:.... we wuz robbed! Selig's a crook! Justice must be served!!! Consider this the first notice of the curse of the Undead Expo. The nationals (I can't bring myself to capitalize it) will never win the World Series!!!!!! :wavefinger:

bring back the expos ! :clap:
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#11 » by WashWiz54 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:39 am

IBTL

(it may not be for awhile but I guarantee it will be)

Return to Washington Nationals