Second Stage of FA

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Second Stage of FA 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 am

It was revealed that the Nats missed out on Chapman to the Reds, although Washington apparently bid over 20 million for him. Sort of surprising--the Nats brass must have really liked him. I'm suspicious the kid is as good as advertised when the big market teams get ridiculously outbid by Cincy, however....

In any case, rumors to continue to fly with the Nats and various free agents, but I see the team as generally set barring the Nats can get a real bargain with somebody due to lack of demand.

Middle Infield has been mentioned alot, but I see this as generally unrealistic. A trade is more likely to upgrade from Guzman, but I feel even that is unlikely.

Why no free agent infielders? Well, look at the list...

Second basemen
Ronnie Belliard (35) - Type B, not offered arb
Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
Orlando Hudson (32) - Type A, not offered arb
Adam Kennedy (34)
Felipe Lopez (30) - Type B, not offered arb
Mark Loretta (38)
Pablo Ozuna (35)

Shortstops
Alfredo Amezaga (32)
Orlando Cabrera (35) - Type A, can't be offered arb
Chris Gomez (39)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
Miguel Tejada (36) - Type A, not offered arb

And then tell me who fits in as a realistic option. Hudson and Lopez are the only clear upgrades, and Hudson is too expensive while Lopez left here on bad terms. Any rumor the Nats are signing one of these guys is probably erroneous, ala the Randy Winn rumor a few days back that made little sense.

More likely a free agent veteran starter or reliever signs, if anyone. The price on some of these guys should slide to tempting levels in a few weeks.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Re: Second Stage of FA 

Post#2 » by Jollay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm

So supposedly the Nats have interest in Adam Kennedy, to answer my own question.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/new ... p&c_id=was

Well, at least he'd hustle--not sure we can say the same about Guzman if he's disgruntled. And I know I couldn't say the same about Ronnie Belliard on more than one occasion.

Don't see how its much of an upgrade, but if the price is right, why not? He's versatile (can play third and other positions in a pinch), plays adequate defense and has some speed left (20 SB last year).

Return to Washington Nationals