Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Duncan, James, Walker, Batista sign 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 pm

http://masnsports.com/2010/01/nats-sign ... leagu.html

I love that Rizzo is adding guys like this to increase competition in Spring Training. All three become decent candidates to make the team, and the addition of Duncan especially might give the Nats other options. I never felt a trade of Willingham was likely or at all acceptable, but if Duncan can prove himself an everyday player, it at least could be an option.

Duncan has never proven himself any more than a part-time player with the Cardinals, but he bats left-handed and has 55HR in just 1147 AB, which roughly equates to about a 28HR average if he were full-time. He is a career .257 hitter, but last year only batted .227 with just 5HR in 260 AB.

He is primarily a corner outfielder, but can also play first, which helps his chances to win a spot. He does, however, struggle against lefty pitchers, with a .206 career average against them (hence not a full-time player). Defensively he has limited range but can perform adequately.

James had some solid years in Atlanta in 2006 and 2007 and provides competition, but I would be surprised if he makes the team. He's kind of a slight guy coming off major shoulder surgery but you never know.

Walker is a big guy who has posted a couple of 50-60 IP seasons with ERAs in the fours with the Giants. He performed pretty well in limited action with the Phillies (32 games, 3.06 ERA). He'll be in the mix for that final spot inthe bullpen, but has had control problems throughout his career.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Re: Duncan, James, Walker, Batista sign 

Post#2 » by Jollay » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:23 am

The Nats invite Miguel Batista, 38, to Spring Training. According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, the Nats plan on looking at him as a starter in the back end of their rotation.

I don't see why they would do this. He's been a starter about half his career and was a spot starter as recently as 2008. He was a reliever last year, posting a 4.04 ERA in 56 games.

I would rather just throw a young guy as the fifth starter before I'd carry Batista. I'm fine with him competing for the pen, though, and I love that there will be good competition in training camp.

Return to Washington Nationals