Melo's retirement

Moderator: THE J0KER

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,462

Melo's retirement 

Post#1 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun May 28, 2023 4:30 am

Out of curiosity, do you think Denver retires his number, or did he burn that bridge when he forced a trade?

We have a thread on whether NYK should retire his number and there's some on both sides, but I think the Nos are beating the Yes's about 60-40. His stats are good enough, but NY only made it past the first round in the playoffs once.

oh, and, good luck against whichever east coast team comes out on top. I'm rooting for you guys.
Didn't expect to be rooting for the Celtics, but that's what happened.

Go Boston, Go Boston. Go Boston. Crush the silly Mavericks.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,277

Re: Melo's retirement 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:27 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Out of curiosity, do you think Denver retires his number, or did he burn that bridge when he forced a trade?

We have a thread on whether NYK should retire his number and there's some on both sides, but I think the Nos are beating the Yes's about 60-40. His stats are good enough, but NY only made it past the first round in the playoffs once.

oh, and, good luck against whichever east coast team comes out on top. I'm rooting for you guys.

Being that he and Jokic wear the same number, there's no way the team will retire it for Melo. He had an impact on this team but really hard to see them retire the number for Melo when a 2x MVP has the same number given how Melo forced his way into a trade, all to further his wife's career, which her career really was pathetic IMO>
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#3 » by Coeur » Sun May 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Real Nugs fans love Carmelo.

Ownership and management always go unmentioned.
They stopped paying and had a whole team expiring and walking.

G Karl’s sabotaging is under mentioned. It was worse.

Carmelo has to go. Had to push his way because he was out anyway. Timing was perfect for this to be a Carmelo thing.

Carmelo ended up being the bigger man In this whole thing and handled himself more professionally than Karl or Kroenke.

Reason things never got fixed is because most at fault were Kroenkes.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,896

Post#4 » by Richard Miller » Sun May 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Out of curiosity, do you think Denver retires his number, or did he burn that bridge when he forced a trade?

Unlikely while Jokic is there, perhaps after he retires they could retire both numbers or something
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,875

Post#5 » by TunaFish » Sun May 28, 2023 8:46 pm

If you are a fan and were following the Nuggets when Melo forced his way out, taking Billups with him, then no as to retiring his jersey.

I hope the Nuggets never invite him to attend any games or participate in any way with the organization.
Canned in Denver.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon May 29, 2023 1:11 am

Coeur wrote:Real Nugs fans love Carmelo.

Carmelo has to go. Had to push his way because he was out anyway. Timing was perfect for this to be a Carmelo thing.

Carmelo ended up being the bigger man In this whole thing and handled himself more professionally than Karl or Kroenke.

You have a pretty darn good team this year, so something went right.

On Melo, you got a fair return via trade too.

2 firsts, 2 2nds, Gallinari, Wilson Chandler & Tinafey Mozgov, and OK, Mozgov wasn't all that but the other 2 were starters or Chandler was a solid 6th man. 2 key players, 2 firsts, and other stuff. Not terrible as far as returns go.

The later of the two first round pick turned into Jamal Murray. Murray's been pretty good for you in the playoffs this year. The feeling in NY was that James Dolan caved and you won the trade.

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon May 29, 2023 1:19 am

TunaFish wrote:

If you are a fan and were following the Nuggets when Melo forced his way out, taking Billups with him, then no as to retiring his jersey.

I hope the Nuggets never invite him to attend any games or participate in any way with the organization.

To be clear, I'm a Knicks fan. I'm not a Nuggets fan though I'll be rooting for you in the finals. I figured it was bad blood and burned bridges and I was thinking it was a no, but I asked anyway out of curiosity.

Melo is a first ballot hall of famer, but he split the prime of his career between two teams, and jersey retired might not be retired by either one. I think that's kind of interesting.

LeBron did enough for Cleveland that I think it's a lock they retire his Jersey, even if he left twice, him coming back and winning a title was enough. Will Miami? He got them two titles, so that might do it. Will LA? . . . one title, end of his career. LA has a long list of stars. My guess is no.

Players moving around makes retiring jerseys a little trickier than it used to be. Anyway, I was just curious what you thought on this. Sounds like it's mostly a no.

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,277

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 29, 2023 4:51 am

Most definitely no
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,875

Post#9 » by TunaFish » Mon May 29, 2023 6:50 pm

Coeur wrote:Real Nugs fans love Carmelo.

That's nonsense. Here is Mark Knudson's recently published take on it:

"Many remember with vivid detail the way Carmelo (and his wife, La La Vasquez) forced his way out of town with a trade demand that forced Nuggets brass to send him to New York, and New York only, back in February of 2011. (Much of this was orchestrated by Vasquez, who was hell bent on becoming a TV star and made her disdain for the Mile High City very clear.) While insiders say that Melo was initially amenable to staying in Denver and signing a contract extension, ultimately the couple got their wish and it was off to the Big Apple, leaving a successful Nuggets franchise (coached by Hall-of-Famer George Karl) for a struggling Knicks team.

... That still sticks in a lot of craws around here.

Adding fuel to the “No” votes on Anthony’s jersey being retired: Since he left town, Carmelo has never been part of any Nuggets celebrations or visibly present as a prominent Nuggets alum in any fashion. It’s like he not only facilitated the divorce, but wants no part of any sort of reconciliation talks. So why should the Nuggets franchise – who will have another No. 15 to retire during the next decade – be in a rush to honor someone who seemingly wants no part of them?

How does this get resolved?" https://milehighsports.com/3-strikes-nuggets-need-buzz-celtics-mindset-and-building-a-bridge-with-melo/

Melo has burned his bridges in Denver and no one wanted him gone until this incident. That opinion is closer to a true fan's take.
Canned in Denver.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,111

Post#10 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 30, 2023 12:59 pm

His stats are good enough, but NY only made it past the first round in the playoffs once.

First thanks for your good wishes.

A lot of people were talking about the problem with number 15 (Melo and Jokic), and the way he left...

Here are some other problems with Melo's number retirement.

1. Nuggets made the playoffs every year he was there but if you count out the year they made it to WCF in 6 years they won 6 games in POs with him, lost in the 1st round 6 times - not so great resume.
2. In the year when they made it to WCF there is a question of who was more important him or Chauncey Billups
3. A lot of people praised him for "putting Nuggets on the map in the 2000's". They were a bad franchise, he was a bright star who overgrown them. Now they as a franchise overgrown him.
4. I tried to imagine what this retirement would look like. As he and Jokic share the same number I guess they should do it at the same time. But with Jokic No 27 (Murray) will be retired, and a good chance for 1 (MPJ) and 50 (AG). All of them have a good chance to achieve something great as a team not only on the franchise level but NBA level too. So I can't imagine retirement for Melo and these players at the same time, him for helping the Nuggets make POs, and them for achieving something much, much bigger...

so we'll see
Maf
Starter
And1: 876

Post#11 » by Maf » Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am

Hell no. The guy was booed every time he came back.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne

Return to Denver Nuggets