ImageImageImage

2024 Offseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,279

2024 Offseason 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:45 am

Well, welcome to the off-season, let this one slip away. Murray hurt too much this season, MPJ vanished in the T-pup series, a lot of work ahead. Booth has his work cut out for him, not a lot of Cap space to work with, KCP will probably opt-out, not that I think he deserves a raise but it'll be his last opportunity for a big payday, can CB learn to shoot while stepping into that role ?? Need a backup big who can shoot, even may be looking for a backup to play the Murray playmaking role, not gonna be filled by Reggie.

Ideas ?
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Re: What to do with the 2024-25 Offseason ? 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:26 pm

With a few thought provoking ideas from PSI and The Joker, since we can't reduce his salary and shouldn't trade him (probably couldn't get a good return for him anyway) feels like we could kill two birds with one stone by moving MPJ to the bench.

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,173

Re: 2024 Offseason 

Post#3 » by psimanic1 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:41 am

I mean, we can go easy route...If Reggie takes PO, trade him and Nnaji for backup C, maybe NOP would do S&T for Jonas?
Draft Brony, sign LeBron for cheap and sign Westbrook as backup PG...
Jokes aside, If Westbrook is still cheap, I would not mind Nuggets going after him, he would bring so much energy we need and we missed in this MIN series...We have so much players that look like they don't like basketball, but only one gives you great stats even then...We need someone full of energy to wake up MPJ and others, or move MPJ to 6th man and start Watson. You can always give MPJ more minutes, but as it stands, he is not good against high energy defenders, always gets lost against them.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,439

Post#4 » by wco81 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:43 pm

Jokic is still the best offensive player in the league and will be for awhile.

But this roster becomes very expensive soon, with KCP up for an extension this summer and Gordon and Murray up for extensions next year.

Nuggets starters were dominant in the regular season but not so great in the playoffs. So do they keep all the starters or look to go another way?

Do the Nuggets have a lot of draft assets in the next 5 years?

The WC is just going to be better with the Wolves, Mavs and OKC all having young superstars. Then the Spurs having to get help for Victor to turn them into a force as well.

I've heard in the past that the Nuggets owner didn't want to pay luxury taxes but that was years ago, before they won a championship and Jokic turned into a generational player.

Of course things become easier if young players like Watson and Strother can become reliable role players in the playoffs.
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:14 am

Keeps running thru my head to bring MPJ off the bench, perhaps starting Peyton Watson. This would bring scoring to the 2nd unit, we wouldn't lose too much size in the starting lineup. Feels like it might give MPJ a chance to gain some confidence and consistency against lesser competition and to be a 1st option on that 2nd unit. Peyton, could benefit from playing with Jokic, advance his development while bringing energy and defense. This idea actually comes from PSI, I had time to think about this to evaluate it more, I could even see Hunter Tyson trying this role out

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,212

Post#6 » by Mickey8 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:07 pm

Denver's bench must have been one of the worst benches of all time in NBA. Only Jackson was averaging 10 points per game this season , everyone else below. How in the world Denver FO was expecting another title with that kind of production off the bench :roll:
I know the club was left buried by the "brilliant "move of the previous GM who gave MPJ max contract. But they tried nothing at the tread deadline. Denver's FO is so incompetent and they are wasting Jokic's prime years.
skywalker33

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:32 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Denver's bench must have been one of the worst benches of all time in NBA. Only Jackson was averaging 10 points per game this season , everyone else below. How in the world Denver FO was expecting another title with that kind of production off the bench :roll:
I know the club was left buried by the "brilliant "move of the previous GM who gave MPJ max contract. But they tried nothing at the tread deadline. Denver's FO is so incompetent and they are wasting Jokic's prime years.

So M8, how is the King of Discord ?? Usually I know you're just trying to troll, but I do agree there is some merit in your current point. While correct about Jackson (his inconsistency throughout the RS season is worthy of raising red flags), the FO was expecting CB to gain some momentum from last year's Championship playoff run and increase his scoring efficiency which did not happen. Also, early returns on PWatson weren't followed thru by Malone in the playoffs either. Lastly, our GM drafted older rookies who were expected to be more ready to play, maybe next year, right ??

You also missed the injury history of our catalyst, Jamal Murray, who we have no replacement for.Perhaps they expected Strawther to add to his scoring, never happened.

Over-expectations by the FO were on display and under the microscope during the playoffs.

Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Mickey8 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 pm

Denver was lacking reliable option off the bench like Brown last year. I was first who thought that Denver would not miss Brown a lot. I had hope that Watson and Braun would develop nicely and they would be ready for the play off action. Braun was ok in the play off's but Watson didn't even play in the second round. If Denver had Brown this season they would have won title again. That's the price to pay for some awful contracts on that team.
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Denver was lacking reliable option off the bench like Brown last year. I was first who thought that Denver would not miss Brown a lot. I had hope that Watson and Braun would develop nicely and they would be ready for the play off action. Braun was ok in the play off's but Watson didn't even play in the second round. If Denver had Brown this season they would have won title again. That's the price to pay for some awful contracts on that team.

You, me, and the FO had much the same hopes, Malone may have been the biggest detriment to that.

M8, sisnce we have the same (or worse) Cap restraints, have any ideas on going forward ?

Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Mickey8 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:54 pm

They should try to move MPJ contract for the multiple pieces that would make this team deeper. I know it would be hard to pull out something like that. But its on Booth to prove that he deserves the job that he holds.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 954

Post#11 » by Pokuokic » Fri May 24, 2024 12:00 pm

I don't get how the Nuggets have not used Jokic's Serbian roots to get a couple of quality cheap players from Serbia they could have had Petrusev for nothing (who wanted to be in the NBA) who would have been better than Nanji and DJ combined even Poku could have provided them with length and NBA experience. They have kept Vlatko on the roster for ages and he's not half the player either of those 2 are. I'm not sure what Milutinov's contract is like and if he would be willing to play as a back up C in the NBA but he would be a monster back up as well. Vaso Micic on a cheap deal as a back up PG who could play with Murray was available as well for basically nothing on the Thunder.

You have the GOAT of Serbian basketball and not even using it to get a couple nice small contracts smh...
proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Post#12 » by proscout » Sat May 25, 2024 12:51 am

I know making any moves is gonna be harder for the Nuggets now, given the new CBA and the 2nd apron tax and all that. Given what we've kinda heard from Denver's end, this is kinda how I look at the roster going into next year:

Murray/*SPOT TO FILL*/Pickett
KCP/Braun/Holiday (re-signed)??
MPJ/Watson/Strawther
Gordon/Cancar/Tyson
Jokic/*SPOT TO FILL*/Huff (or whoever else)

The Holiday and Huff spot, not really as important, so I just kinda threw those guys in there. Assuming we re-sign KCP, I think that leaves us with 2 main spots to fill. And given how we saw Murray and Jokic both seem overused, I think they're two important spots to fill: a backup PG and a backup C. If you figure Jackson opts in, thats basically leaves us with his contract and Nnaji's contract to try and trade and fill those spots (probably having to attach draft picks to them to make something happen).

I'm not that in the know about other teams wants and needs and likely moves they'd make, so just wanted to come here and see what ideas people here may have if you assume those are the contracts you have to work with. You don't have to be exact with draft pick compensation attached to them to make a deal work, I just assume something will have to be attached and I leave it to the real GMs to figure that out.

For the backup C spot, would the Rockets take Nnaji + draft pick for Jock Landale? Would that even be a player we'd want as a backup C (I'm only going off the tiny bit we saw him with the Suns in the playoffs last year. Or what about hoping to sign Drummond with the vet min to come be the backup C? Any other ideas?

For the backup PG spot, I have no clue who we could target, whether it be via trade or vet min. Hoping to hear some ideas here.
skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:13 am

proscout wrote:
Murray/*SPOT TO FILL*/Pickett
KCP/Braun/Holiday (re-signed)??
MPJ/Watson/Strawther
Gordon/Cancar/Tyson
Jokic/*SPOT TO FILL*/Huff (or whoever else)

For the backup C spot, would the Rockets take Nnaji + draft pick for Jock Landale? Would that even be a player we'd want as a backup C (I'm only going off the tiny bit we saw him with the Suns in the playoffs last year. Or what about hoping to sign Drummond with the vet min to come be the backup C? Any other ideas?

Hard to argue with the roster assessment with the exception of the unknown status of KCP, more than likely to opt out as well as the unknown possibility of us getting to re-sign him.

As for Landale, there's no deal there, that trade would just us give an older player with less upside and ZERO cap relief, along with robbing us of a draft pick.

Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Mickey8 » Sat May 25, 2024 5:55 pm

Pokuokic wrote:I don't get how the Nuggets have not used Jokic's Serbian roots to get a couple of quality cheap players from Serbia they could have had Petrusev for nothing (who wanted to be in the NBA) who would have been better than Nanji and DJ combined even Poku could have provided them with length and NBA experience. They have kept Vlatko on the roster for ages and he's not half the player either of those 2 are. I'm not sure what Milutinov's contract is like and if he would be willing to play as a back up C in the NBA but he would be a monster back up as well. Vaso Micic on a cheap deal as a back up PG who could play with Murray was available as well for basically nothing on the Thunder.

You have the GOAT of Serbian basketball and not even using it to get a couple nice small contracts smh...

The only Serbian player that could have been Jokic's back up is Milutinov but that ship has sailed I guess. Petrusev is more of PF than Center. He lacks the bulk and length at center position. Heads up to Denver FO for the next year NBA Draft. Draft Aleksa Dimitrijevic if you can, he's the next big thing at the center position out of Europe 8-)
Pokuokic
Senior

Post#15 » by Pokuokic » Sun May 26, 2024 2:26 am

Mickey8 wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:I don't get how the Nuggets have not used Jokic's Serbian roots to get a couple of quality cheap players from Serbia they could have had Petrusev for nothing (who wanted to be in the NBA) who would have been better than Nanji and DJ combined even Poku could have provided them with length and NBA experience. They have kept Vlatko on the roster for ages and he's not half the player either of those 2 are. I'm not sure what Milutinov's contract is like and if he would be willing to play as a back up C in the NBA but he would be a monster back up as well. Vaso Micic on a cheap deal as a back up PG who could play with Murray was available as well for basically nothing on the Thunder.

The only Serbian player that could have been Jokic's back up is Milutinov but that ship has sailed I guess. Petrusev is more of PF than Center. He lacks the bulk and length at center position. Heads up to Denver FO for the next year NBA Draft. Draft Aleksa Dimitrijevic if you can, he's the next big thing at the center position out of Europe 8-)

Even as a back up PF (poku as well) he would have been better than anything they had.
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 26, 2024 5:12 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:

Even as a back up PF (poku as well) he would have been better than anything they had.

While I believe that basketball has truly become world wide talent farm, the way you present this, it seems like you're saying that the "improvement" would be because they players you like because they're from Serbia. While you're probably biased because these are players you see on a more routine basis, the NBA is a bit of a different game that FIBA, so to say they'd be better is pure speculation. And Poku, who you have already touted up, really doesn't look like any type of difference maker even playing in the NBA. although he is only 22yo and needs time to adapt to the NBA game.

Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Mickey8 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:06 pm

I think he meant since Jokic have the relationships with some of the players from Serbian NT, he could use his influence and get them to come and play for Denver. The only two players I could see from Serbia that could help Denver are Milutinov and Bogdanovic. Milutinov would have been the perfect back up center for Denver. He's the good athlete,strong, he can pick and pop and score off the alley op dunks, pick and roll, a good passer, he's Poeltl type of a player, he would be able to adjust immediately to NBA basketball. Bogdanovic could bring the points off of the bench ,but his contract is not friendly at all so I don't think he's the option. Pokusevski can't shoot at all and he's still so raw. He can't help this team.
Pokuokic
Senior

Post#18 » by Pokuokic » Mon May 27, 2024 6:58 am

Mickey8 wrote:I think he meant since Jokic have the relationships with some of the players from Serbian NT, he could use his influence and get them to come and play for Denver. The only two players I could see from Serbia that could help Denver are Milutinov and Bogdanovic. Milutinov would have been the perfect back up center for Denver. He's the good athlete,strong, he can pick and pop and score off the alley op dunks, pick and roll, a good passer, he's Poeltl type of a player, he would be able to adjust immediately to NBA basketball. Bogdanovic could bring the points off of the bench ,but his contract is not friendly at all so I don't think he's the option. Pokusevski can't shoot at all and he's still so raw. He can't help this team.

37% from 3 last year prior to injury and can block shots that's literally more valuable than anyone on the Denver bench other than Braun. Not to mention against the Wolves he could bring the ball up the floor when they were pressuring the Nuggets PG's similar to Gordon....Poku would have been a huge help because the Nuggets bench sucked that hard.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Mickey8 » Mon May 27, 2024 4:35 pm

That's the small sample playing several games for the Hornets who were lottery team. I watched him enough playing for Thunder, he had some of the worst airballs I ever saw in the basketball games. He will never going to be consistent shooter. His shooting technique is not good and he doesn't have shooters feel.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Well I think the two positions I feel we have to address this offseason is backup C and backup PG ( calling Capt Obvious). With the obvious decline in offensive production when Murray is injured, the onus usually puts the pressure on Jokic. If we can find a consistent replacement to help out, sure would balance the team out, not to omit the fact it would help out the bench when Murray is in the lineup

Return to Denver Nuggets